Anyone able to do a search at Ipswich Record Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone able to do a search at Ipswich Record Office

I am anxious to find parents for George Butcher born Stoke, Suffolk in 1835/1838 , his wife was Sarah Ann Holmes born 1838/1839 at Nayland Suffolk. I cannot find a marriage for them, but I know they finally settled in Kenninghall, Norfolk and died there. I know the names of Sarah Ann's parents,. I would be very grateful for any info on George, my great,great grandfather.

sunny rosy

I don't think we have anyone to visit Suffolk Archives anymore Rosie.
    I have found the Ancestry/Genealogy in Suffolk and Cambridgeshire Group very helpful.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you Kat, for the reference, I have joined the group right away.

sunny r

Comment

I wasn't intending to say anything until my return in case I don't have time but I saw your original request last October about 2 weeks after my last trip. I am off to Suffolk in the morning & have noted your request. The marriage is most likely to have been in Nayland or Stoke by N so I'll look at those - going any further would be too time consuming. I'll also have a look for George's baptism in Stoke.
        Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
          I wasn't intending to say anything until my return in case I don't have time but I saw your original request last October about 2 weeks after my last trip. I am off to Suffolk in the morning & have noted your request. The marriage is most likely to have been in Nayland or Stoke by N so I'll look at those - going any further would be too time consuming. I'll also have a look for George's baptism in Stoke.
          How about the old Stoke district in Ipswich? It's a long established parish as St Mary at Stoke parish church is in parts medieval.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you so much Glen, I would be so appreciative, should you find anything for me. You Gem.

sunny r

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              How about the old Stoke district in Ipswich? It's a long established parish as St Mary at Stoke parish church is in parts medieval.
              Thank you Judith, I will take a look there.

sunny r

Comment

Judith - that's the one that always comes to my mind first as I was christened there but with Sarah Ann being born in Nayland, I felt the Stoke referred to for George was more likely to be Stoke by Nayland.

Sunny R - have you found Susannah's birth reg? A quick look didn't reveal it to me. I can only see Sarah Ann & Eliza. There is a Susannah HOLMES registered in Guiltcross but she has a mmn. I was thinking this might indicate a Norfolk marriage.

Not that it matters, I'll look at what I previously mentioned.
                Glen

Comment

Sunny R - have you found Susannah's birth reg? Scratch that, I've found it now.
                  Glen

Comment

I found two birth regs for George Butcher. They are the only two in the Sudbury Dist for the right time frame.
                    BUTCHER, GEORGE - no MMN
                    GRO Reference: 1837 D Quarter in SUDBURY Volume 12 Page 325
                    BUTCHER, GEORGE MMN PEARSON
                    GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in SUDBURY Volume 12 Page 441
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

[QUOTE=Katarzyna;2624157]I found two birth regs for George Butcher. They are the only two in the Sudbury Dist for the right time frame.
                      BUTCHER, GEORGE - no MMN
                      GRO Reference: 1837 D Quarter in SUDBURY Volume 12 Page 325
                      BUTCHER, GEORGE MMN PEARSON
                      GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in SUDBURY Volume 12 Page 441[/QU

Will look into these Kat thank you.
                      Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 12-03-18, 23:33.

Comment

Well Rosy, not good news. I searched Nayland & Stoke by N. for the marriage. I found marriages for a brother & 2 sisters of Sarah in Nayland if you want the details. I searched Stoke from 1830 to 1850 for George but there were no BUTCHER events in that time. I also just looked for Georges as I hadn't found him in the early censuses & thought he might be illegitimate. Have you found him before 1871? I also had a look at Mary Stoke for good measure. Sorry I couldn't help.
                        Glen

Comment

Thank you so much for your kind endeavours Glen, I'm not surprised you didn't find my elusive George Butcher.!! I would love the details of Sarah's siblings marriage. IN 1871 they were in Bury st Edmunds as a family. In 1891.they were living in Kenninghall ,Norfolk where my Gt granny (their daughter )was born in 1870). I haven't been able to find George on the 1881 census, Sarah Ann was , married, as head of the family, still in Kenninghall. George died in Norfolk Asylum in 1897, I think Sarah died in 1901. Sarah Ann (Holmes) was still living with parents in 1861. I have to check where George was in 1861 as it was a bit involved looking for him, as i did come across a George poss illegitimate with a 20 yr old mother and a grandfather. Will look again and ask what you think.
                          I did get the birth cert for George born Sudbury District in 1837 but it turned out he was born in Essex and not my George as I could trace him throughout the census.

regards Rosy

Comment

Sarah Ann was at home for the 1861 Census & Susannah was born Sep 1864 so a narrow time frame. The marriage may have taken place at the Register Office & never made it to the GRO Index. It may be worth ringing the Sudbury Register Office & asking the question.

On the other hand the marriage may not have taken place at all. Having their children in a different county, who would query if they were married or not? A call to Guiltcross might be worth it just to eliminate the same marriage scenario there.

I'm out this morning so I'll post the marriage details later
                            Glen

Comment

Here are the marriages - there are a couple of places I can't read my own writing.
                              5/10/1862 William x HOLMES FA B Ag Lab Nayland John Ag Lab
                              Susanna x KENINGALE FA S Tailoress Nayland William Carpenter
                              Wit: Henry x KENINGALE Sarah x HOLMES

5/10/1862 Isaac x WATTS FA B Ag Lab Nayland James Ag Lab
                              Susannah x HOLMES 19 S Dom Serv Nayland John Carpenter
                              Wit: Nathan x ABBOTT Sarah x MAR????

They married the same day and I did check that it wasn't me but the fathers' occupations seem to have been transposed.

14/6/1863 Joseph Crane LANE FA B H.M. 1th Royals - Lance Serjeant Nayland Charles Carpenter
                              Emma HOLMES FA S Nayland John Lab
                              Wit: Isaac x & Susannah x WATTS
                              Joseph's occupation is definitely recorded as 1th Royals even though it doesn't make sense. Perhaps a 1 was omitted.
                              Glen

Comment

Thanks very much Glen, I'm thrilled with that info, can look them up now on the 1871 census and beyond

sunny r

Comment

Working...
                                X