Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation of Simon McGregor, 1901 Census

Hello,

Simon is living with his brother, Alexander, on the 1901 Census in Hornsey. His wife, Bessie, is also present. I have read a transcript of his occupation as some sort of pensioner, but I'm not sure of his exact occupation. He died before the 1911 Census, and is absent from the 1891 Census, with his wife in Devon with her aunt.

I would appreciate any information,

Thanks,

Adam

I found Simon McGregor in Hornsey. Occupation looks like Pensioner ... Ord Survey. Possibly Ordnance Survey?
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

The FamilySearch transcription says 'PENSIONER C/A OLD SURVEY'. Still not sure what it means.

Comment

Ordnance Survey is correct! Here he is in 1881.
        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Found him 1891 in Lancashire

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Lucy Ann Crowe Head 40 Yorkshire
          Simon Macgregor Boarder 40 Ross-Shire, England as Leveller Ordmance Survey Civil Assistant
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Is he on the 1871 Census in England? I know his mother and brothers were still in Scotland then, in Contin.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                Found him 1891 in Lancashire

Lucy Ann Crowe Head 40 Yorkshire
                Simon Macgregor Boarder 40 Ross-Shire, England as Leveller Ordmance Survey Civil Assistant
                His birthplace is Ross-shire, Dingwall. He is boarding at 5 Macmillan Street, Rochdale

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
                  Is he on the 1871 Census in England? I know his mother and brothers were still in Scotland then, in Contin.
                  In 1871 there is a Simon McGregor (listed on ancestry as Simon M Gregor although a correction has been submitted last year). He is lodger at 68 Bridge Street, Derby, aged 20, born Scotland, occupation Labourer..
                  However, there is another lodger by the name of James Murray aged 37 and also born Scotland. He is a Civil Assistant, Ordnance Survey. Perhaps James got Simon into a new job?

Comment

This is most likely Simon’s baptism and parents. There was no other Simon McGregor or variant baptised in Ross and Cromarty between 1847 and 1852. Found in ScotlandsPeople, Church of Scotland parish registers.

Surname Forename Parents/ Other Details Gender Date Parish Number Ref Parish
                    MCGREGOR
                    SIMON
                    ALEXANDER MC GREGOR ELIZABETH STRATON
                    U
                    13/09/1849
                    062/
                    20 86
                    Dingwall

Comment

Maybe not, having looked at the marriage certificate of Simon and Bessie, his father is John not Alexander.

This from SP again for parents marriage.

MCGREGOR
                      JOHN
                      MARY KEMP/
                      18/12/1846
                      062/
                      20 114
                      Dingwall
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-03-18, 12:17.

Comment

Working...
                      X