Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the mystery infant in a family grave ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
    No Kyle I haven't got the burial register for Holy Trinity church Mossley Congleton

Thankyou
    Liz
    If you go to a Family History Centre, I think FamilySearch might have what you want online. Look at the listing of the films here:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

The camera with the key indicates they've been filmed but not available

Oh, I lied. I logged in they popped up:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Hope it has what you want?

Comment

Thanks photo family
      I think I have to register with them to be able to see these records . Is that right ?

Thanks Anne
      I hadn't realised that you could now find mothers maiden name on 1837 onwards records . I knew you could from 1916 but not before . I believe Charles and Caroline lost 5 children . I need to check again on the 1911 census . I have always wondered where their infant children were buried . Maybe with searches now possible with mothers maiden name I may be able to find these "lost" children . Fingers crossed

Liz
      my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

In addition to burial registers, churches also have a churchyard plan showing the locations of graves and names of those buried in them. So, if you can't access the burial register for the relevant dates, then try contacting one of the churchwardens, who should have access to the churchyard/burial/graves plan.

I also agree with what others have said about headstones and memorials commemorating other family members who were not interred in the grave. Many people just had a wooden marker placed to mark a grave - over time these rotted/disintegrated and sometimes the names of the deceased were later added to the gravestone of another family member.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 27-02-18, 15:39.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
          Thanks photo family
          I think I have to register with them to be able to see these records . Is that right ?

Liz
          Right - just create a free login. All I did was login and I had access to the images. It is a pain to scroll thru them, but you don't have to travel to get to them

Comment

Thanks for that Jay . I will contact the church warden and see if they can find the graveyard plan for me and details of Alice's grave . I'd already been wondering if there had been a grave and maybe stone there already for Alice and Percy's deceased children who may have been put into the same grave as Charles and Carolines children or just Bromley . I'm pretty sure that these Davenports are not related to the much grander Bromley-Davenports of Capesthorne Hall . I wonder if young William was given the middle name of Bromley as a nod to the heifenated Bromley-Davenports . Perhaps the parents just called the child Bromley and that's how they wanted him remembered on the gravestone . I know this can happen in families including mine . On another branch I have my great grandparents in a grave with their only son who died a few days after his 5th birthday in 1899 . He was called Jack by all the family including his 3 sisters many years after his tragic death and that's what is on his gravestone with his parents . I had a difficult time finding his birth but found him eventually . He was registered as Frederic George Andrews after his father !
            Liz

Comment

Thankyou photo family ,
              I will do that

Liz

Comment

Similar in my family Liz. My father's mother's only brother was called John William Harrison but was always known as Jack. My father was named after him but was actually registered and baptised as Jack.
                My Mum was fed up with me always bringing letters home requesting my father's "correct" name as when I filled in forms etc., I wrote Jack but the powers that be decided it ought be John. She had to take the bus into town and put them right.
                Also, every time my Gran saw my Dad coming or referred to him in any way, she always said "our John". That drove Mum demented LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                  Similar in my family Liz. My father's mother's only brother was called John William Harrison but was always known as Jack. My father was named after him but was actually registered and baptised as Jack.
                  My Mum was fed up with me always bringing letters home requesting my father's "correct" name as when I filled in forms etc., I wrote Jack but the powers that be decided it ought be John. She had to take the bus into town and put them right.
                  Also, every time my Gran saw my Dad coming or referred to him in any way, she always said "our John". That drove Mum demented LOL.
                  Yes Galloway Lass similar in our family . We all including my Dad himself thought he was named Jack after his mothers little brother who had died so young . My dad was my fellow researcher until his death in 2001 and he had no idea of the registered name of the child . I think I found it a couple of years later after dad s death .

Liz

Comment

Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie
                      Liz

Comment

Working...
                      X