harriot SMITH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harriot SMITH

how naive am I? I often wondered what happened to my great great grandfathers sister as she is on 1851 census with their grandmother but have been unable to trace her after as I had been searching for Harriet. I took most of my information about this side of the family from online parish records which are sometimes hard to read so took it as Harriet and thought it may be mistranscribed as she is then Herecot.
    So if anybody feels like hunting down a SMITH please do!!
    Harriot SMITH b 1845 Northfleet Kent is on 1851 census with grandmother Susan Martin nee Higgins b1776. George William Smith my great great grandfather is in the workhouse but is released at his grandmothers request. Susan Martin dies in 1852 so I dont know where Harriot went to after that. I dont know what happened to their parents either but presume they had died by 1851. They were William Smith 1811 and Fanny Martin 1811. I found a death of a Fanny Martin 1849 which is a possibility.
    There is a Harriot SMITH in Bethnal green school 1861 which could be her.

SMITH, HARRIOT mmn MARTIN
    GRO Reference: 1845 J Quarter in NORTH AYLESFORD Volume 05 Page 414

FreeReg Baptism: Harriett Smith
    St Botolph, Northfleet
    Baptism date 27 Apr 1845
    Birth date 01 Apr 1845
    Father forename William
    Father surname SMITH
    Father occupation Labourer
    Mother forename Fanny
    I cannot see a marriage for William Smith and Fanny Martin.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

SMITH, GEORGE WILLIAM mmn MARTIN
      GRO Reference: 1840 J Quarter in NORTH AYLESFORD UNION Volume 05 Page 364

Brother: George William
      Baptism date 13 May 1840
      Birth date 26 Apr 1840
      Parents William and Fanny
      St Botolph, Northfleet

Just looking to see if Fanny and William had other children to follow but these are the only two and the ones you already have :(
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 20-02-18, 11:54.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I wouldn't get too hung up on how Harriet is spelled. In my experience the same person can have about 5 different versions of it! Just look for them all!
        Anne

Comment

they are the only 2 children that I have ever found. William Smith and Fanny Martin married 12 nov 1837 milton next gravesend.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            I wouldn't get too hung up on how Harriet is spelled. In my experience the same person can have about 5 different versions of it! Just look for them all!
            Anne
            Yes I never realised that before, just assumed it was Harriet and gave up on her but now I have been having another look around at loose ends it has suddenly dawned on me....lol

Comment

Also, don't forget to check Harriat. I have found that an e is often mistaken for an a.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
              X