Searching for Newspaper articles and similar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Newspaper articles and similar

I've just been catching up on watching some older WDYTYA on Yesterday (Nigel Havers being last night's viewing - what a thoroughly nice man !)... they always seem to be able to find newspaper articles involving their relatives and I was wondering what the best site(s) was to search for such items ?

For example... a recent search on findmypast.com for an ancestor of mine (John Hampden Wall) brought up a couple of articles about the marriage of his daughter (which then added the name of a previously unknown spouse to my tree)... but I am, alas, not subscribed to the site. The newspapers in question were the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette and also the Western Daily Press... do these have online archives to search or is the only way to pay for the FMP subscription ?

Your assistance, as always, is greatly appreciated...

You can also use the British Newspapers own website (sorry I don't have a link). I understand the search engine on there is much better than that on FMP. I also believe you can subscribe to them for a short time.

However, once you start with newspapers you won't want to let them go! I've lost count of the number of times I have solved a problem or found a birth, marriage or death in a newspaper when I couldn't make the link elsewhere. I use FMP but sadly I think new subscribers will have to pay for the most expensive sub to get access now. Luckily this change did not apply to old subscribers.
    Anne

Edit: Here it is. You can subscribe for one month for £12.95 https://www.britishnewspaperarchive....ount/subscribe
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 25-01-18, 10:46.

Comment

A while back I was told if I joined Lancs County Library I would be able to access British Newspaper Archives. It worked for me back then. I was sent a Reg card with a membership number. Just tried it again but think my membership may now have lapsed.

Vera

Comment

Your own county library service may offer some form of access, here in West Sussex we can get Times online with a library card at home, though some services may only be at specific libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
          A while back I was told if I joined Lancs County Library I would be able to access British Newspaper Archives. It worked for me back then. I was sent a Reg card with a membership number. Just tried it again but think my membership may now have lapsed.

Vera
          I recall when we were all busy trading passwords to access the Gale Newspaper website via various UK public libraries....but I think that avenue was shut down by Gale as it infringed their T&C's, if memory serves me correctly.

In Australia, I can access the British newspaper collection online through our National Library, by applying for a reader's ticket as an Australian not resident in the A.C.T. Otherwise, I can go to my local State Library and access the collection at the library in person. Don't know if non Australians can make use of this system

You can occasionally get a 'hit' using the free Trove service, as although the collection consists of Australian digitised newspapers, they frequently carried reports from the UK, especially in earlier decades, which were 'copied' to papers in Oz.
          Trove - The National Library of Australia, in collaboration with Australian State and Territory libraries, runs the Australian Newspaper Digitization Program with the aim of making as many publications available online as possible.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
            Don't know if non Australians can make use of this system
            I've since checked the nla website and the service is only available to Australian residents. However, Trove is accessible to all.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
            X