what does this name translate to in English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does this name translate to in English

Chaim Dawid Gutental, I have a feeling I have connected the wrong records to him.

Hymie David? Trouble with Jewish names is that they change according to who is asking and a direct translation doesn't always lead to the right person.

OC

Comment

ah it does say on a couple of the records Hyam David, but would Gutental translate to Guttentag ? OC

Comment

Gutental Gutentag, one letter different which could easily be a mistranscription. The difference wouldn't be enough to frighten me, lol.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC I worry so much about this lot, with all the name changes.

Comment

Part of the issue with Jewish surnames as, in many cases, they were imposed by the State on a group of people who were accustomed, through millennia, to using patronymics. Secular surnames were used to humour the Gentiles, I think, and treated with just as much respect as that implies! And when anti-Semitism creeps in to encourage even those surnames to be "adjusted", you may find brothers choosing different (even wildly different) options. Names that came from Russian languageources had to be transliterated, so that was a great opportunity for variants to creep in.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine, wish they would just be happy with what they had :( I aways knew one lady as Sadie, wasn't till she died I found her name was really Susan .

Comment

Working...
              X