Help with Ann Page widow of Fletching's will please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Ann Page widow of Fletching's will please

Ann was my husband's 9x great grandmother, I've been working on a transcript on and off over the last few weeks but some of the words have eluded me. I've got screenshots and this is the link to the will on Familysearch Ann Page of Fletching

This is my first problem

"& all my shelves boordes &" ??????????????
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 30-12-17, 09:21.

2nd problem word
    "my best haifer bullock" ????????

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 30-12-17, 09:15.

Comment

the third
      "& to be divided at the ?????????????????????????? my sonnes John"

Comment

Could the 2nd one be '...eight good...'?
        Last edited by Lindsay; 30-12-17, 10:56.

Comment

Could well be Lindsay, thankyou - that would make it "eight good milk trugges"

Comment

1st one....'& loose doorres ????'

Comment

It looks like "loose doores which are to be removed".

I've never heard of doors being bequeathed before!
              Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              Ann was my husband's 9x great grandmother, I've been working on a transcript on and off over the last few weeks but some of the words have eluded me. I've got screenshots and this is the link to the will on Familysearch Ann Page of Fletching

This is my first problem

"& all my shelves boordes &" ??????????????
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It is Eight.

2nd problem word
                "my best haifer bullock" ????????

Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

3rd: 'other which if these' ??

(I'm a bit out of practise, but I'm awaiting 5 wills I ordered just before Christmas, so it's nice to have the chance to get my eye in again!)

Comment

It looks like "as the others" or just "other" with a bracket or comma after the word "other" but I'm not sure! The next part is "which if these my sonnes John and Edward..."

the third
                    "& to be divided at the ?????????????????????????? my sonnes John"

Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Thankyou Linday and Elizabeth - I can see it now - she was having everything stripped out of the dwelling house on her Hellwood land, as well as the shelves, boordes and those loose doors she also mentions her "least cupboard" and two "leades" by which I think she means leaded window panes.

I've been able to identify where Hellwood is in modern Fletching, so hoping to work out where the house was.

Comment

This is so strange. I read today on a daily 'snippet' calendar that windows and doors were considered (at one time) to be removable from the building and therefore available for leaving in a will, as shown by this one.
                        When I read the snippet I thought, "hmmm pull the other one", but there you go, I was wrong apparently!! LOL
                        Anne

Comment

What a co-incidence Anne! I shall be sending the finished transcript to the Sussex Family History Group (with a credit to FTF for help) and am now working on some footnotes about the various people mentioned.

We went to Piltdown for lunch today which was in the parish of Fletching, too muddy to tramp the footpaths over the fields but I shall be poring over maps and planning a recce in the spring. My son now lives in the area which has spurred me on to further research.

Comment

Did you come across any missing links at Piltdown?
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No Uncle John, but the pub where we had lunch was called The Piltdown Man for a few decades, though has now reverted to it's Victorian name of The Lamb. Had a lovely piece of stuffed pork loin

Comment

Just parking this here in case I forget. Hellwood was next to Parsonage Farm on Ruston Bridge Road. There is still a strip of wood called Hellwood going down to the Ouse though it used to be wider of Victorian maps. No obvious candidates for a house though what is now Denniker Cottage/Snatts may have developed out of an earlier dwelling and there is a brick built (early Victorian?) house Hungry Hatch opposite (Hungry Hatch Fletching is mentioned in connection with a court held by John of Gaunt) so there were buildings there way back. No obvious house platforms on Lidar.

Comment

Working...
                                X