french records blow my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• french records blow my mind

looking through the parish register for sainte croix-saint ouen, rouen, normandie in 1702. came across a marriage entry dated 17 oct 1702 for francois dorival and cecile bourdon; that recorded the usual details: names of both parties, marital status, places of origins, names of parents and whether deceased, wittnesses. all i really love and am thankful for in how detailed the french were vs how poor english records are at the same time.

but what really blew my mind, and i have not seen this before; the grooms parents were both deceased, it records the place of death and date of burial for both parents!

bit jealous for my english rellies really. i find it's easier to track french ancestors as the level of detail is really good. and how many brickwalls can you break down if you know where people came from?

Spanish records are also excellent. Baptism/birth records can show not only the date and time of birth but also the grandparents, and death records show the names of any children.
    F

Comment

Dutch records from 1811 are also wonderfully detailed. For marriages they had to provide details of birth of the bride and groom, death details of parents (if dead), previous marriages including details of deaths of previous spouses. If both parents are dead it can then provide grandparents details. Death details gives all spouses details too. This was actually due to Napoleon who became emperor of Netherlands in 1811 and set up civil registration, presumably following the French system. For the first few years all the records were actually written in French too, and used the French Republican Calendar.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Some nonconformist churches also kept very detailed lineage records. One chapel which was attended by many of my relatives, took a detailed census of chapel members in 1819, with added scurrilous notes in the margin!

OC

Comment

Working...
        X