Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family book- designing descendants lists

Hello all,

I'm after thoughts and advice, any suggestions would be lovely.

I'm currently writing a family book. I'm doing it on microsoft word, i have figured out all my chapters, information, bibliography and picture sources, sourced photos and records etc.

I have two design issues i need help with:

1) the family tree itself. I'm not liking any of the programmes showing the family tree. Can anyone suggest some formats they like? Or should i hand draw them? I'm after one that would show 5-7 generations, the family pre emmigration.

2) my other problem is the descendants. I don't know how to do the lists in an easy to understand way. Each chapter i want to be accompanied with the chart of that person's descendants. I want it to be easy to understand. It would be names, dates and possibly a small paragraph about individuals.

Any ideas are welcome.

Regards

I use a program called 'Treedraw'....I think it was associated with Legacy when I got it. When I have manipulated it to my satisfaction, I use the Snipping tool to convert it to a jpg file to insert into my document.

ryan tree.JPG

Beverley

Comment

Yes Treedraw (a program by Spansoft software, a small independant producer) http://treedraw.spansoft.org/ This uses a gedcom as the base to build a tree but they also have a version specifically for Legacy.
      I use it to produce various trees (charts) and sections of trees (the largest of which if printed would be 120 feet long and would contain all the 4723 names from 1521 familes connected to myself & my wife)

However Treedraw also allows me to produce small charts where many fit on one A4 sheet of paper or larger charts on multiple pages, I think it is a fantastic program.

I also use another program The Complete Genealogy Reporter ( http://www.tcgr.bufton.org/ another independant producer) which compiles a book about the family but has the option to include family charts (two to a page each spanning up to four generations).

Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I use the trees produced by Family Historian. There are several different layouts, you can add pictures, text boxes and you can add as much or as little detail as you wish to the people in the "tree" and manipulate/change the size and format of the boxes, lines, text etc. etc. You can add other lines and branches easily too.

It's what I used when I needed to produce trees to go alongside the articles in FTF Magazine.

The software will also produce a "book" for you which you can edit to do what you want.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I used to have TreeDraw when I needed to produce charts for a One Name Society. Like Caroline I now prefer the very easily manipulated tree diagrams produced in Family Historian. However I must concede that TreeDraw produces the most compact trees I have seen, as illustrated by Macbev.
          Anne

Comment

and another for Macbev!! http://ftfmagazine.lewcock.net/index...ay-family-tree

(These are the best layout for the magazine page.)
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. I like the idea of manipulating the tree, shape, placement, etc. To be honest i hadn't thought of doing the tree in a sideways design, like in caroline's examples. That may fit better with a few branches.

Comment

I remember thinking what a wonderful job you did, Caroline.
                You did one for my Jeffcoat/Heath family too.

I have Family Historian now, and it is brilliant for charts.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                X