Admissions to the workhouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admissions to the workhouse?

Is it possible to search a date of admission to the workhouse , online? My gt gt grandfather died in the workhouse in 1897 I would love to know how long he had been there.

sunny r

Silly, silly me he died in the Norfolk county asylum, not the workhouse, so it would be admissions to the Asylum which was in Blofield, Norfolk registration district

sunny r

Comment

Ancestry has some not sure if they cover your area

Comment

The asylum at Thorpe St Andrew was in the Blofield Registration district. Do you have him on the 1891 census? If he was in the asylum then he would only be recognised by his initials, age and residence at the time. Might be worth scrolling through though. You can view these asylum records at Norwich RO

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I found him on Ancestry Lunacy records and he was admitted 8/1/1897 and died 20/1/1897, didnt know those records were there. doh!!!!!

sunny r

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
            The asylum at Thorpe St Andrew was in the Blofield Registration district. Do you have him on the 1891 census? If he was in the asylum then he would only be recognised by his initials, age and residence at the time. Might be worth scrolling through though. You can view these asylum records at Norwich RO

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...h=5u8&gl=&gst=
            Yes I have him on the 1891 but have not found him anywhere on the 1881, Sarah his wife was head in Kenninghall, Norfolk and was wife, no sign of George. I have also been unable to find their marriage around 1862-1864 she was Sarah Ann Holmes born Nayland Suffolk.
            sunny r

Comment

Have you now managed to find him in the death records so you can get the DC and perhaps discover a bit more about him?
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                Have you now managed to find him in the death records so you can get the DC and perhaps discover a bit more about him?
                Yes found him in the asylum died 1897, buried in kenninghall, Norfolk so I think he is my ancestor, should get the digital copy on Monday 11th Dec.

sunny r
                Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 09-12-17, 22:07.

Comment

Death cert has arrived, he is my gt gt grandpa and he died of heart disease of several years duration.
                  sunny r

Comment

Nice to get info confirmed
                    Kat

Comment

Well done, all.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

At least it was a natural death, not something like syphilis or another contagious disease.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have exhausted all avenues of finding his marriage and he was probably sleeping under the stars on census night 1881, as he was a shepherd / drover .

sunny r

Comment

What was his surname Rosy? You never gave us that. Perhaps we can find him on the 1881 and his marriage or at least try
                            Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat. I am missing him on the 1881, he says he was born in Stoke, Suffolk. Name George Butcher 1837-1839. He was on the 1891 but died in 1897 in Thorpe Asylum. He married Sarah Ann Holmes born Nayland,Suffolk , she is still at home on the 1861 Census with her parents John and Sarah Holmes., their first daughter Susanna (h) was born in 1863/4. in Kenninghall, Norfolk. I also am not sure when his wife died, could be 1900 / 1902. Was it her in the workhouse in kenninghall, Norfolk in 1901.

Thanks for your offer of help
                              Sunny r

Comment

Yes, I thought that must be Sarah Butcher on the 1881 census and at the time searched for George but to no avail - same for the marriage:( However will have another search when not so busy unless someone else is prepared to have a go too.
                                Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat. They had a lot of sadness, their son George died in 1887 aged 13 from peritonitis and their daughter Eliza (my Gt Grandmother, died in childbirth aged 19 in 1889, she had been married only a year, my grandmother survived and lived to be 84 yrs old.

sunny r

Comment

I am still researching George Butcher!! Found him on the 1881 mispelt as Gorge Butcher, boarder with William Williams another shepherd. The last bit of info unearthed, is that Sarah Holmes was still at home on the 1861 census in nayland Suffolk. In 1861 Sarah had a baby girl named Susannah, who died aged 5 weeks, she was born as Holmes, no father mentioned, but on her death certificate her name was Susannah Chippington, crossed out and Holmes sustituted. So did they leave Suffolk for Norfolk due to the furore of the illigtimate birth , did George change his name from Chippington? Goodness knows! I have tried to eliminate all Chippington males around the right age for George, but had no luck. So he is still as illusive as ever!!!!

sunny r

Comment

That’s a possibility.
                                      OH has a gt. father in his mother’s maternal side who changed his name after marrying bigamously. Oddly he married using his correct forename and very slightly altered surname. A child was born and registered with the same slightly altered surname. Both events were mid census. By the following census they had flitted about 20 miles east and they appear as a family under the wife’s maiden surname which was a total change from his. The child dies and is registered as the wife’s surname and all subsequent children are born, married and died with that new surname.

Comment

Working...
                                      X