Nicholas of Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholas of Cornwall

Hoping for help with sorting out my Nicholas family - the Online Parish Clerk has been a great help! I'm hoping to find out more information about the parents of my ancestor, Ann NICHOLAS, b. ~1800.

* Married Roger COCK 1 Nov 1823 Gwithian

* She's in the 1841 in Gwithian with Roger.

* I believe the burial in 1841 is hers
    Day Month 01-Oct
    Year 1841
    Parish Or Reg District Gwithian
    Forename Ann

* And I believe her baptism is
    Day Month 25-Jul
    Year 1800
    Parish Or Reg District Phillack
    Forename Anne
    Surname NICHOLAS
    Sex Dau
    Father Forename Henry
    Mother Forename Elizabeth

* And her parents' marriage:
    Day Month 12-Apr
    Year 1800
    Parish Or Reg District Gwithian
    Groom Fn Henry
    Groom Sn NICHOLAS otp
    Bride Fn Elizabeth
    Bride Sn LUKE, sojourner itp

I think these four births are all their children:
    1800 Phillack Anne NICHOLAS Henry Elizabeth
    1802 Just in Penwith, St. Mary NICHOLAS Henry Elizabeth
    1803 Martin by Looe, St. Henry NICHOLAS Henry Elizabeth
    1814 Gwithian Elizabeth NICHOLAS Henry Elizabeth

The OPC has the next Henry Nicholas/Elizabeth marriage in 1824 in Talland Henry NICHOLAS and Elizabeth JOHNS

Notice the jump between 1803 and 1814? Opinions about whether these are their children?

So - can anyone find anything more about Henry Nicholas and his wife Elizabeth? There's a couple of candidates for Henry in 1841, one includes Elizabeth. Does anyone know a good resource for Cornish wills of the period? any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Have you seen:- Elizabeth, baptised St just in Penwith 7 Sept 1800. Daughter of Henry and Elizth?

Baptism :- 17 Jan 1808 Gwithian. Jennifer, daughter of Henry and Elizth?

P S. Have just noticed the marriage of Henry NICKLES and Elizabeth Grenfell at St Just in Penwith on 28 April 1792. Might they be parents of some of the children?
    Last edited by brentor boy; 07-12-17, 07:50. Reason: More information

Comment

The children for Roger and Ann have quite helpful names:

1824 Gwithian Roger COCK Roger Ann
      1825 Gwithian James COCK Roger Ann
      1827 Gwithian Grace COCK Roger Ann
      1830 Gwithian Henry COCK Roger Ann
      1832 Gwithian Ann COCK Roger Ann
      1834 Gwithian Elizabeth COCK Roger Ann
      1836 Gwithian Blanch COCK Roger Ann
      1837 Gwithian William COCK Roger Ann
      1840 Gwithian Jane COCK Roger Ann

Roger's parents were James and Grace, and then there are children named for Henry and Elizabeth.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The wills proved in Cornwall are here:

Wills for more affluent people were proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. For those you can search the National Archives website and Ancestry.
        The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

A tip re. Cornwall OPC.

There are pages for each parish.
          England, English, Cornwall, Cornish, OPC, online parish clerk, online, parish, clerk, parishes, church, record, records, genealogy, family history, marriage, marriages, birth, births, baptism, baptisms, death, deaths, burial, burials, census, accounts, rates, school, schools, monumental inscription, tombstone, help, aid, advice, research

Gwithian
          England, English, Cornwall, Cornish, OPC, online parish clerk, online, parish, clerk, parishes, church, record, records, genealogy, family history, marriage, marriages, birth, births, baptism, baptisms, death, deaths, burial, burials, census, accounts, rates, school, schools, monumental inscription, tombstone, help, aid, advice, research

There is a list of wills for each parish:

You should find a link on each parish page.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
            Those are convenient! I hadn't seen the first at all, and was only vaguely aware that the OPC had some sort of wills - but I hadn't used it in the past, or didn't find anything when I looked.

Comment

I think I need more than parish records to sort these people. Like many areas, there's a repeating use of first names, and lots of families with the same surname.

Comment

Originally posted by brentor boy View Post
                Have you seen:- Elizabeth, baptised St just in Penwith 7 Sept 1800. Daughter of Henry and Elizth?

Baptism :- 17 Jan 1808 Gwithian. Jennifer, daughter of Henry and Elizth?

P S. Have just noticed the marriage of Henry NICKLES and Elizabeth Grenfell at St Just in Penwith on 28 April 1792. Might they be parents of some of the children?
                I've just found another possibility. Baptism Gwithian. 22 January 1804. Elizabeth. Parents Heny (sic) and Elizth. I should have said before - my source is Cornwall O P C site

Comment

I've just found another possibility. Baptism Gwithian. 22 January 1804. Elizabeth. Parents Heny (sic) and Elizth. I should have said before - my source is Cornwall O P C site
                  Was this of any assistance?

Comment

Was this of any assistance?
                    Thank you for looking - there are just too many people in the same area with same or similar names for me to draw conclusions. A will or ??? that groups them together would be helpful, but I doubt it exists. I didn't find any likely wills in the OPC. Ann/Roger's marriage record is too early to record fathers' names. I've run into a cousin who thinks she knows - I haven't looked at her work yet - she seems to me to be quick to come to conclusions.
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-12-17, 17:02.

Comment

From Cornwall OPC site:-

Only two marriages between Hen% Nic% and Eliz% during period 1785- 1810. 1792 St Just in Penwith. 1800 Gwithian.

Baptisms of potential children. St Just in Penwith and adjacent parishes. Mary 1792,Mary 1794, James 1796, Elizabeth 1798, Elizabeth 1800, Mary 1802, Ann 1805, Eliza 1807, Eliza 1809. All St Just.

Baptisms of potential children, Gwithian and adjacent parishes. Ann 1800( Phillack),1804 Elizabeth, Jennifer 1808, Elizabeth 1814.( Remainder Gwithian). Burial Phillack. 1809 Elizabeth (daughter of Henry).

The only one I cannot fit in is Henry, baptised Looe, 1803.

Not conclusive but reasonably persuasive in separating the two families. I think you will be extremely lucky to find any additional documentary evidence. It will be interesting for you to hear your cousin's conclusions.

Comment

I live a five minute walk from Phillack and I agree with Brentor Boy that Phillack/Gwithian baptisms almost certainly belong to one family. The two places are within easy walking distance of each other.

St Just in Pen with is, even today, a largely cut off community, isolated on the moors. At the turn of the 1800s even more so with access by sea or by extremely difficult cart tracks across the moors. You lived there because you were born there and there would have been little to attract an outsider. I cannot see an ordinary family toggling between Phillack and St Just but of course, who knows! Do you have an occupation for anyone?

As an aside, I was shown a list of burials for St Just, around the late 1700s. They included

Fell into a ditch and refused to get out.
                        Drank a kettle full of boiling water.

And my all time favourite

Suffocated in a cart load of feathers.

OC

Comment

Thank you both.
                          So, the Marriage Record does not list the parents. Ann only appears in one census (the 1841). It's reasonable to think that the Gwithian burial in 1841 is hers (Ann Cock, age 41).
                          Of course, there's no solid way to know her birthplace from the MR, census or burial records. She was OTP when she married. Witnesses Gregory Jenkins Cock (I think) and Wm Harris. Wm Harris was also witness to the previous marriage, so he may be the church warden?

So it seems likely that the baptism in Gwithian in 1800 is hers. Can I really be certain of that?

If you accept the 1800 baptism as hers, then back to the original question - what about tracing her parents?

OC - great CODs ;)
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-12-17, 21:05.

Comment

Burial Gwithian. 3 November 1829. Henry Nicholas, age 50 ( b c 1879)

Baptism Gwithian. 12 May 1778. Henry Nicholas, son of Richard and Elizabeth. Brother, Thomas, born 1771. Only baptism in that name, in that area, in that period. Thomas Nicholas witness at marriage of Henry in 1800.

Elizabeth Luke more problematical.
                            Baptism Phillack. 28 July 1783. Elizabeth, daughter of William and Grace. BUT I cannot find a record that suggests her burial or re-marriage. It would also be more convincing if Henry and Elizabeth Nicholas had had a daughter named Grace. Not really convinced this is the one. Elizabeth shown as sojourner at time of marriage, so could be from anywhere!

Comment

Now for some speculation!

Burial Gwithian. 13 March 1824. Elizabeth Nicholas, age 49, of Connor Downs. (b c 1775). Henry Nicholas, buried 1829, residence Trevarnon Moor.
                              Trevarnon Moor and Connor Down appear to be adjacent. ( perhaps OCH can confirm geographic proximity). Might these be your Henry and Elizabeth?

Baptism Camborne . 8 September 1776. Elizabeth Luke, daughter of Richard and Jane. Connor Down/ Trevarnon Moor between Gwithian and Camborne.

Just a possibility, but impossible to prove.

Comment

Thanks, BB-
                                Connor Down catches my eye - my g'grandfather was born in Connor Downs in 1861 - but that's quite a bit later.

Yes, I think that's what I was hoping for!

Comment

Oh, I posted in response to brentor,s post #15!

Trevarnon moor is between Connor Downs and Gwithian, so geographically it is entirely possible.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                  X