Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage

Hi Sorry I had this on the wrong Thread. Can anyone make out the marriage date of William Miller b1806 Glasgow and Helen McFarlane b 1816 Campsie on their son James certificate. They had other children William b 1843 - John b 1845 - David b 1847 - Robert b 1851 - George b 1853 - Alexandra b 1858 - Peter b 1860. Helen was married before to Alexandra Mcgaugh/Muggoch they had a daughter Helen b 1837. I cannot find birth certificates for William, John, David or Robert but I have marriage certificates for William and Robert with William and Helen's names on and birth certificates for the other children but no marriage date. The above certificate is the only date I have I thought it said 1840 but have looked and can not find any marriage certificate. Thanks

B1855_644_02_0246Z - Copy.jpg

Looking at other 4s on the page I would say it is 28 July 1840
    Anne

Comment

You will not find birth certificates for the earlier children. Civil registration did not begin in Scotland till 1855. You are exceedingly lucky that you found one in "the golden year" as they are the only ones where you will find such a wealth of detail. We started off with such good intentions but it was too labour intensive.
      If you are lucky, you might find the baptisms for the early children will give a birth date as well. Some parishes were good record keepers.

The year of parents' marriage is 1840.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-10-17, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        You will not find birth certificates for the earlier children. Civil registration did not begin in Scotland till 1855. You are exceedingly lucky that you found one in "the golden year" as they are the only ones where you will find such a wealth of detail. We started off with such good intentions but it was too labour intensive.
        If you are lucky, you might find the baptisms for the early children will give a birth date as well. Some parishes were good record keepers.

The year of parents' marriage is 1840.
        are there any other avenues that Jan can explore GallowayLass? I don't know much about Scottish records so am a little out of my depth. Thanks
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes there is, as I orginally suggested. Look for the baptisms of the older children whose names and approximate ages she will have on the 1855 birth certificate. Most baptismal entries are the usual baptism date only but some also added a born date. Some also say "born and baptized on" when both events happened on the same day.
          Try familysearch.org first as it's free. If no joy, then try ScotlandsPeople as there are now Roman Catholic baptisms as well as Church of Scotland ones, also a small but growing number of entries from other churches.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-10-17, 12:49.

Comment

Thank you all will go and look now

Comment

Working...
            X