Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GRO pilot scheme for £6 PDFs

Just out on the GRO website!!!!

The GRO is piloting a service from 12 October 2017 to provide portable document format (PDF) copies of digitised historical birth and death records. The pilot will run for a minimum of 3 months to enable GRO to assess the demand for this service over a prolonged period.

Applications for each PDF cost £6, must be made online, and include a GRO index reference.

England and Wales records which are available as PDFs in this extended pilot include:

Births: 1837 –1916
    Deaths: 1837 –1957

Anne

Thanks Anne, I have a couple hanging fire for this.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Ha ha! I have more than a couple. My plans for the day have changed!!
      Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne. I have been waiting and hoping this would happen.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

ooh ta , but can I afford that many

Comment

Also been waiting for this. Disappointed at the relatively high price though.

OC

Comment

must agree OC seems a lot, but suppose the speed at which you get them makes up for it.

Comment

I just ordered a whole bunch a few days ago. Gah! So tempted to do more lol

Comment

But not marriages?

Comment

No, not marriages. The PDFs are of those which we can see on the GRO index with enhanced information, such as mother's maiden name, age at death and full names instead of initials. It is only those dates above which cover those births and deaths. There is quite an extensive Q&A on the GRO website about it.

I must say ordering is so much easier! You look up the one you want in the index and add it with one click to your pending orders then pay for them all together. No more typing the references in and maybe getting them wrong! Plenty of chances to amend or delete on the order page as well.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      I just ordered a whole bunch a few days ago. Gah! So tempted to do more lol
                      Aw, Kyle, bad luck. I have been hoping for this for months and just waiting patiently.
                      Anne

Comment

very interesting............... thank you Anne x
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                          But not marriages?
                          No the marriage registers have not been digitised yet.

Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                            No the marriage registers have not been digitised yet.

Cheers
                            Guy
                            are there plans to Guy? and does this mean then they are planning to digitise the rest of the registers that hadn't been done via the DoVE project?
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I am a bit disappointed - I thought I would get an instant download like in Scotland but I have to wait a full week for the download.:(

Perhaps my expectations were too high!
                              herky
                              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                                I am a bit disappointed - I thought I would get an instant download like in Scotland but I have to wait a full week for the download.:(

Perhaps my expectations were too high!
                                Scotland has the right idea herky. Victoria is a direct download too. Makes it easier i feel.

Comment

J

Herky

This just a pilot scheme. I expect it will be much quicker if the GRO decides to offer a permanent service.

OC
                                  Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 12-10-17, 19:35. Reason: Stupid kindle predicted text!

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    are there plans to Guy? and does this mean then they are planning to digitise the rest of the registers that hadn't been done via the DoVE project?
                                    The GRO often make plans and often fail to put the plans into operation.
                                    Dove was put into operation in 2005 and ended in 2008 by that time death from 1837 to 1957 and births from 1837 to 1934 were completed this was replaced eventually by a new project, the Digitisation and Indexing Project, D&I.
                                    DIE (oops sorry D&I), was suspended in 2010 and buried in 2012.

BUT! It is claimed they (the Identity and Passport Service) are continuing "to monitor the scope for future opportunities to digitise all birth, death and marriage records".

Beware of flying pigs!

There is absolutely no valid reason for not commencing an automatic instantaneous download operation.

In case it has not been noticed the “new digital BMDs” and civil partnerships are not included in this pilot either.

Cheers
                                    Guy

PS the “new digital BMDs” include births and deaths from 2007, marriages from 2005 and civil partnerships from 2011)
                                    Guy
                                    Last edited by Guy; 12-10-17, 19:57. Reason: Added a PS

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      J

Herky

This just a pilot scheme. I expect it will be much quicker if the GRO decides to offer a permanent service.

OC
                                      That's fair enough - hopefully it will be a success and will meet expectations. I don't have many English ancestors but thought I would give it a try.
                                      Looking forward to getting my download and seeing how it goes.
                                      I had better switch off the printer - silly me switched it on for my download but it is not to be, for now!
                                      herky
                                      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

If you want a copy of an entry from a marriage register the S.I. 2016 No. 980
                                        Registration of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Etc., England and Wales Civil Partnership, England and Wales
                                        The Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships Records
                                        Regulations 2016

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/980/pdfs/uksi_20160980_en.pdf

Does allow one to request a PDF copy of a register entry from the Registrar General on payment of £6 (£8 for marriages)for the standard service or £45 for the “expedited service” i.e. within 3 hours.
                                        I have not tried to see whether the GRO/IPS will honour such a service or whether they will claim there is no requirement for them to do so.

It may be interesting to try.

Cheers
                                        Guy
                                        Last edited by Guy; 12-10-17, 20:16. Reason: Added (£8.00 for marraiges)

Comment

Working...
                                        X