Anybody find these recordings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody find these recordings?

Have a Molly/Mollie Keegan, winning a singing contest, she was a Mezzo Soprano ,and these are the songs she sang, at a concert in Ireland in 1912 , wonder if anybody can find out if they would be recorded anywhere.
    Softly awaits my heart
    The deserted Maiden
    By the short cut to the Roses.

Be very grateful

This should be "By the shortcut to the Roses" by John McCormick... on You Tube

Matt
    My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Hi and thanks was hoping to find a recording by her, wonder if it's possible

Comment

This is the score for The Deserted Maiden...................

Championing the value and relevance of Irish traditional music

Can find no reference to her as yet...
        Last edited by Matt Muir; 11-10-17, 16:47.
        My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Hi and thanks for helping she was quite famous then,wonder if maybe I should look somewhere in Ireland

Comment

She gets a mention here: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...d-1/seq-6/ocr/
            Dublin.
            At the Feis Ceoil, last week Miss
            Nellie Moore. 66 Pembroke-road, Dub
            lin. a young vocalist who has charm
            ed audiences at the Festival for sev
            eral years past, had the signal honor
            of winning premier place in the com
            petition for the O'Donoghue Cup for
            the third year in succession. Miss
            Molly Keegan, 38 St. Peter's road,
            Cabra, Dublin, was adjudged the win
            ner of the Ladies' Committee Prize,
            another of the prized honors of the
            Fels. Miss Keegan won the gold
            medal in the mezzo-soprano competl
            tlon.
            This is near the bottom of the first column of "The Irish standard., June 01, 1912, Image 6" (A Minneapolis paper)
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-10-17, 22:19.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a conversation here, about KEEGANs, in which Molly gets a mention, but in a "maybe/maybe not related" kind of way.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You could try looking here: https://archive.org/details/78rpm?&s...wnloads&page=3
                Though "Keegan" didn't get any hits. But they may be adding to the archive, so it may be worth returning... or contacting them.

Comment

It won't get you any recordings, but you might find clues as to where to look if if you get more newspaper material. If you web-search for: Irish Newspaper Archives, there are lots of possible links. Some of them look like subscription sites - maybe all, I haven't checked.

Comment

I tried looking for: +"Molly Keegan" "Softly awakes my heart"
                    but, although I can find plenty of hits for "Softly awakes my heart" (the very famous aria of Delilah, in Saint-Saƫns's "Samson & Delilah" opera), I can't find any with "Molly Keegan"... adding that "+", to force that name to be included, immediately cuts off most of the hits, leaving only adverts.

Comment

I sympathise. My grandmother, who died when my father was still only eleven, was a solo soprano (not particularly famous) and also wrote children's stories, but I have found no record of either activity, so far... not the slightest trace. :(

Comment

thanks very much everybody ,lots to look at and think about.

Comment

that link on Roots is the right family , and they seem to suggest the family story about her wasn't true;) also found that newspaper article thanks Christine.

Comment

My grandfather was a professional opera singer. He sang several times on the Morning Service on the BBC and I have transcripts of those occasions, although thats not quite the same thing as a recording! He also made several records which somehow got lost within the family, grr.

Do you know that your lady actually made recordings?

OC

Comment

thats a shame OC , no I dont know but I was hoping some of her stuff may have been.

Comment

Working...
                              X