Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian family rumor

Hello everyone☺
    I am trying to find my elusive Russian ancestors. I don't have a lot of information, sadly. My Dad always said we have Russian ancestry on his father's side. But he didn't know exactly who, or when they came to Canada or America. This is all I know:

My grandfather's name was Kenneth Ivan Pyott, (b. 13 March 1930, d. 25 Dec 2009) and he had an older cousin named Ivan Jackson (b. 18 March 1901, d. 20 Dec 1983)
    I know that an ethnic first name doesn't guarantee that ethnicity, but I realize back in those days, parents chose names from their own families and backgrounds.

Most of my ancestors came from England to Canada, and eventually moved to the U.S
    Our Pyotts came from England, in the mid 1840s. I've searched my family tree for any more Russian names, and I haven't found any. So frustrating! Since my Dad passed, it's more important than ever for me to find this connection.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much.

suppose you have this US Census 1930

Canada William R Pyott Head Male 35 1895 Married
    Canada Elizabeth Pyott Wife Female 29 1901 Married
    Canada Clifford Earl Pyott Son Male 6 1924 Single
    Michigan Eleanor R Pyott Daughter Female 2 1928 Single
    Michigan Kenneth I Pyott Son Male 0 1930 Single
    Royal Oak
    County Oakland
    State Michigan
    NARA series T626
    NARA roll 1018

Comment

Hello - and welcome to FTF!
      It would be helpful to know where your tree stops, and where you've looked? Since you have the Pyotts back to the 1840s, it sounds like you already know you're direct male line. What about your grandfather's maternal line? Have you recovered your grandfather's DC? Found his BC or marriage cert?
      Thanks!
      Sarah

Comment

Hi Val! I do have this census, but thank you so much for looking. I have most of my family lines traced back to at least all my 3 and 4x great grandparents, but none of them appear Russian.

Comment

Hi Sarah!
          Thank you for this advice. I do not have my grandfather's birth or death certificate. I will look into that. His maternal line, his mother was a Doan, her ancestors were supposedly the infamous "Doan Gang" loyalists who got chased out of the country during the Revolutionary War. So they are all Canadian, and American, going back to the late 1700s. I will check the other lines again.

Comment

One possibility for the name Doan is Irish ancestry. There were many variants such as Done, Dunn(e), Dua(n)ne, Duin, etc. Lots of Irish migration to both USA & Canada over the years.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Marriage Cert:

Name: Kenneth Ivan Pyott
              Race: White
              Birth Year: abt 1930
              Birth Place: Hazel Park, Michigan
              Marriage Date: 19 Feb 1948
              Marriage Place: Hazel Park, Oakland, Michigan, USA
              License County: Oakland
              Residence Place: Hazel Park, Michigan
              Father: William Roy Pyott
              Mother: Elizabeth Doan
              Spouse: <living person?>

Have you recovered his obit:
              Name: Kenneth I Pyott
              Death Age: 76
              Birth Date: Abt 1930
              Death Date: Abt 2006
              Obituary Date: 30 Dec 2006
              Newspaper Title: Cook County News Herald
              Newspaper Place: Grand Marais, Minnesota, USA

Here's a tree with a different descendant of William Pyott and Elizabeth Doan

Not seeing anything Russian there...
              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-09-17, 05:24.

Comment

William Roy Pyott has many records on Ancestry, including DC (no parents' names), attestation papers (by coincidence, a branch of my family went to Birch Hills, SK, too!), his birth registration. I haven't found his naturalization papers, but his DC indicated he was a US citizen, so the papers should be somewhere. Naturalization papers post 1906 are worth retrieving.

Comment

Thank you Jay. I hadn't considered this possibility!

Comment

Hi Sarah, thank you for all this information. If I may ask, what is attestation papers? That is a huge coincidence your family is from Birch Hills too!
                    I did not have my Grandpa's obituary, thank you. I really appreciate it.☺

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                      Marriage Cert:

Name: Kenneth Ivan Pyott
                      Race: White
                      Birth Year: abt 1930
                      Birth Place: Hazel Park, Michigan
                      Marriage Date: 19 Feb 1948
                      Marriage Place: Hazel Park, Oakland, Michigan, USA
                      License County: Oakland
                      Residence Place: Hazel Park, Michigan
                      Father: William Roy Pyott
                      Mother: Elizabeth Doan
                      Spouse: <living person?>

Have you recovered his obit:
                      Name: Kenneth I Pyott
                      Death Age: 76
                      Birth Date: Abt 1930
                      Death Date: Abt 2006
                      Obituary Date: 30 Dec 2006
                      Newspaper Title: Cook County News Herald
                      Newspaper Place: Grand Marais, Minnesota, USA

Here's a tree with a different descendant of William Pyott and Elizabeth Doan

Not seeing anything Russian there...

There is also a ref to an obit (2006 not 2009 as in your original post) here.

Unfortunately the full obit is not available online but with the newspaper and date ref you might be able to find it via a local library. I've been extremely fortunate finding really detailed American obits which have been a goldmine of info.
                      Re your later question - attestation papers are papers completed on army enlistment. Again, can be really useful re eg next of kin etc.

Christine
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Here is a link to the PDF of William Roy Pyott's service records. It may take a while to load as there are 44 pages.

If you go to the main search page and just type in Pyott you get a total of 5 results - possibly other family members of yours and therefore worth trawling through.

Christine
                        Last edited by Karamazov; 19-09-17, 17:29.
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                          There is also a ref to an obit (2006 not 2009 as in your original post) here.

Christine
                          Managed to find the full, albeit relatively brief, obit here:

Christine
                          Last edited by Karamazov; 19-09-17, 17:35.
                          Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Tara797 View Post
                            If I may ask, what is attestation papers? That is a huge coincidence your family is from Birch Hills too!
                            I did not have my Grandpa's obituary, thank you. I really appreciate it.☺
                            Attestation papers are the forms filled out when a (future) soldier enlists. Karamazov gave the link to his actual service records.

As subsequent posts indicated, the obit info I gave was just the index. The full text is available at the newspaper listed.

I'm not seeing an obvious connection to Russian ancestry in the records I've seen thus far. It could be useful to try to find out more about Ivan Jackson. Perhaps his ancestry has the Russian connection, and your father's middle name came from that side connection.
                            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-09-17, 19:36.

Comment

Just found your tree

So, there are two children of Anthony Pyott (1849-1921) who give their children the name Ivan. I would wonder if another branch of the family married an Ivan, and this person was beloved to the children of Anthony. Or there was a neighbor named Ivan who meant a lot to these descendants. Have you found the obit for Anthony? As Karamazov said, obits in the US - and Canada - can often give wonderful detail
                              Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-09-17, 19:43.

Comment

Hi Christine! Thank you for all your help. I saw the full obituary, that was great of you to send the link. It is very brief, that side of my family has people who are more private.

Comment

Hi Sarah, thank you for looking at my tree. I needed a fresh set of eyes to look at it! I've never considered the possibility of a neighbor named Ivan, thanks for bringing that up. Since Anthony's children both named their sons Ivan, that is the branch I have been focusing on. I really appreciate your advice!

Comment

I have four generations of men with an unusual middle name. My grandmother said it was to reflect our connections with the royal family. After a lot of research and some good luck, lol, I realised the name was in honour of a godfather who helped his godson out of poverty by giving him an apprenticeship!

OC

Comment

I know of a family with 'impressive' middle names for all their children. We eventually found out the names were those of nearby streets where they lived!! They just fancied them and maybe thought it made their children sound more important in days when middle names were much less common.

Anne

Comment

wish I knew why my grandfather was named Arthur!

Another common reason for a name to enter the family tree: naming a child for some national figure. King's name is common, but so are war heroes, etc

Comment

Working...
                                        X