John Edward HEWITT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Edward HEWITT

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this conundrum.

John Edward Hewitt born 1899 (December) Castleford, registered first quarter 1900, I know where he was right up until 1925. Totally unable to find him on the 1939 Register even though he supposedly was living in Castleford with his father Robert born 1872 (cannot find Robert either).

JEH married in 1940 and I know about his life from then on, just that small area that is missing. I did ask FMP to help find him on the 1939 and they said he was probably a closed record but I find that a bit hard to understand as my parents are on there and they were born after 1899.

Thanks

Many men were away from home on the 1939 Register, preparing for war. A lot don't show up. Was his mother still alive then?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

the family was broken up by 1911 and mother would have been living in a totally different county, I have taken the assumption that he was still in the area as the person he married in 1940 was living under his name but apart from him. He worked in the mines as did his father, there is an entry for a JEH in Holmfirth with a birth date of 1.1.1900 which I thought may be possible but there is quite a distance between Castleford and Holmfirth. I also considered that he may have been in the Forces but he would have been nearly 40 so came to the conclusion that at the start of the war that was probably not the case.

Comment

could this be him ? what was his occupation

7 Aberford Road , Garforth U.D., Yorkshire (West Riding), England
        First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
        John E Hewitt 26 Jul 1899 Male Colliery Hewer Married 111 1
        Olive Butcher (Hewitt) 01 Jan 1905 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 111 2

Comment

Thank you for this, unfortunately not he did not marry until 1940 and his future wife is living with her grandparents in 1939 admittedly using the surname Hewitt

Comment

Found this via Ancestry W Yorks electoral roll

On FMP

3 Holywell Mount, Holmfirth (image says Holywell Lane)
            Hewitt, John Edward b 01/01/1900 Stone Blower Colliery
            Living with the Finney family

Just noted your Post 3. Will look for Robert

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 04-09-17, 08:55.

Comment

Thank you for that much appreciated. Although he should have been living in Castleford would it have been possible that he could have been sent to another colliery to work due to people leaving to join up do you know?

Comment

I suppose it's possible that John E and Robert could have been sent elsewhere due to shortage of manpower at the start of the War.
                I do think the John E b 1st quarter of 1900 could be yours. For the 4th q 1899 and 1st q 1900 he is the only one with a Yorkshire reg on the new GRO site

Vera

Comment

Working...
                X