Gladys Woodbridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladys Woodbridge

Hello, I am new to this forum and don't know if this is the right place to start but..........here goes.
    I am searching for information regarding my Grandmother, Gladys Woodbridge who was born in 1915 to Mabel Dorothy Woodbridge in Colnbrook, Horton , Buckingham. If there is anyone who may be able to help I would be very grateful as I have hit a brick wall. Many thanks, CHINCH.

Hello Chinch and welcome to FTF.

Which way do you wish to go with your search? Backwards or forwards? Who brought up Gladys?

OC

Comment

Welcome, Chinch.

What do you already know? This help us focus on what it is you need to know.

For starters, this looks like the birth registration for Mabel Dorothy Woodbridge.
      1st quarter 1898 Brentford, Middlesex
      Mother's maiden name Rogers
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

The birth registration for Gladys:

1st quarter 1916
        Eton, Buckinghamshire
        Volume 3A
        Page 1656

So it looks as though she was born late in 1915.
        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 03-09-17, 16:38.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I think Mabel Dorothy married Edward O'Neill March quarter 1921 in Kensington. Her death in Sept 1980 Lambeth gives her birth as 13th Jan 1899 she died aged 81 as Mabel Dorothy O'Neill. In 1939 they are living at 26, Lessness Road, Merton and Morden, Surrey, with their Daughter Peggy, born 2nd March 1921. Edward is a window cleaner. I believe that Dorothy's mother Alice, nee Rogers, died shortly after she was born. Her father, who I believe was Edmund Rixon Woodbridge, appears to knock 10 years off his age on most of the census. Alice appears to be his second wife (from what I have found so far).

I think this is Mabel with her father in 1911 - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...&usePUBJs=true

I have to dash now, but there is quite a bit of information I haven't had time to post. Of course this is only my supposition and would need certificates etc to prove or disprove it.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi OC, not sure what I'm doing here so please bear with me. I have only just found all these replies!!! Thank you. I am trying to find out who brought Gladys up. She is a mystery and despite my best efforts I can't find out where she spent her childhood. I think she was put into care but with the 100 year rule I haven't been able to access many records and I don't know if to look at Buckingham or Birmingham where she ended up in 1935, marrying Edward Albert Newton. I have an autograph book dated 1930-1934 in which are verses from "Mother" but I know this isn't her Mother so I have assumed it's from a head of a children's home of some sort.......but which one?!!! So any help would be welcomed. Many thanks.

Comment

Hi Chrissie, thank you for your reply. I am replying but my replies aren't always coming up so am obviously doing something wrong! I will try again. I do have a lot of the info' you have given me but not all so thanks for this. Gladys was married in 1935 in Birmingham and went on to have 2 children. I have tried to contact as many people as possible but nobody knows where she grew up. Gladys' half-Sister is still alive and doesn't know where she lived so I assume it must have been a home.
              I have an autograph book dated 1930-1934 in which are verses , some of a religious nature, from various people, "Mother", D. Stanmore, E. Taylor, A. Wheatly and others. I don't know if there are homes around that time with some of these names working there and I hoped , perhaps somebody might recognise them and be able to help. Long-shot I know!!
              If you have any ideas where I can look I would be grateful. Many thanks. Julie.

Comment

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your reply. I have the birth certificate and it doesn't say she was adopted so have assumed she was put into care. The certificate says she was born in Bridge Street, Colnbrook but she may have been born elsewhere and Mabel used the address where her Father was living. Could a child be sent as far afield as Birmingham if put into a children's home?
                i AM REPLYING BUT MY REPLIES ARE NOT COMING UP UNDER THE PERSON I AM REPLYING TO! SORRY.

Comment

Chinch, don't worry you are not doing anything wrong! If you click 'reply with quote' under the person post you want to answer it will open in a new box and make more sense of your reply. Your reply will still come further down as it has done, that's just the way it is and we all know where to look. Your replies so far make perfect sense!
                  Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    Chinch, don't worry you are not doing anything wrong! If you click 'reply with quote' under the person post you want to answer it will open in a new box and make more sense of your reply. Your reply will still come further down as it has done, that's just the way it is and we all know where to look. Your replies so far make perfect sense!
                    Anne
                    Hi Anne, thanks for this. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do so just went with reply. Will learn as I go and with the help from the kind people on the forum. Thanks again. Chinch

Comment

I saw your request for a baptism lookup and had a look at findmypast who have some Buckinghamshire baptisms. No luck for a Gladys Woodbridge born in 1915 I am afraid.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I think we need to look at the geography here.

See FREEBMD for places covered by the Eton registration district where Gladys was born:

Nowadays Horton is in Berkshire, but the parish records are held in Buckinghamshire. But bear in mind that some of the other records might be under Berkshire.
                        Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 04-09-17, 08:32.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                          I saw your request for a baptism lookup and had a look at findmypast who have some Buckinghamshire baptisms. No luck for a Gladys Woodbridge born in 1915 I am afraid.
                          You are so kind Caroline. Thank you for looking for me. I have been to the Centre For Buckinghamshire Studies and looked through their records but there doesn't seem to be a baptism for Gladys there either. I took a trip to Colnbrook to ask at the local church if they kept the baptism records but they don't so I am not sure if she was actually baptised. If she was put into a home, do you think that she would be baptised there? She certainly is a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                            I think we need to look at the geography here.

See FREEBMD for places covered by the Eton registration district where Gladys was born:

Nowadays Horton is in Berkshire, but the parish records are held in Buckinghamshire. But bear in mind that some of the other records might be under Berkshire.
                            I have written and e-mailed several places for information , Surrey, Bucks;, Slough, Berks; but no joy from any of them! I thought I would try the forum for any out-of-the-box suggestions as I am at a loss now. I think the 1921 census will perhaps offer up some clues but it's such a long time to wait. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X