No announcement yet.

Page Family, Sussex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the two birth registrations are just a coincidence. The second Uckfield birth, with mmn Ralph, was William the son of James Henry Page and Fanny Ralph. Those parents married in Eastbourne Q4 1899 2b 163, and that family, with 5 year old William, were living at Addlestone, Chertsey, Surrey in 1911
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Anne, those were the only births that I could make 'fit' as there is nothing in Worthing. I think Kate must have worked in the Worthing area and this is what William was told. The other birth in Uckfield with a mmn would not fit as Kate is on various census with her family at Kate J Page but they are so close together that it is suspicious.
      Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      The 1901 census which Chrissie found shows a Kate Page aged 25 born in Worthing, Sussex. She is a servant in Harrow.

Yes, Chrissie I had a look at that one. Without any other sign of her I think it could be. My knowledge of 'down south' is limited though!
      Now Patroy says William claims to have been born in Worthing it looks even more likely.

Patroy, you say the child was registered as William Spencer Page but there is no birth registration for that full name. Very surprisingly there are two William Page registrations in Uckfield in Q3 1905. One has no Mother's maiden name (Vol 2B page 124) and the other one has mother's maiden name Ralph (Vol 2B page 123) Is there any significance in these registrations so close together?

Anne

Comment

Just co-incidence as Judith says. Was worth a thought though!

So William's birth certificate does not have a middle name? It must have been added later when he was registered in the home, which for a child given up to a children's home is interesting because to my mind it indicates some sort of caring attitude.
        Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-08-17, 16:10.

Comment

Thank you Judith
          Originally posted by JudithM View Post
          I think the two birth registrations are just a coincidence. The second Uckfield birth, with mmn Ralph, was William the son of James Henry Page and Fanny Ralph. Those parents married in Eastbourne Q4 1899 2b 163, and that family, with 5 year old William, were living at Addlestone, Chertsey, Surrey in 1911

Comment

As William Spencer Page doesn't appear to have gone to Canada until he was 15 in 1921 (from Liverpool), do we know where he was in 1911 please? He seems to have known about his mother and his grandfather's name, so I wonder if he was with family who died around 1920 and couldn't look after him any longer?
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

No, I am sorry but I do not know where he was, his passage to Canada was paid for by the home, and he obviously went to school. I have searched the 1911 census from one end to another and cannot find either of them
              Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              As William Spencer Page doesn't appear to have gone to Canada until he was 15 in 1921 (from Liverpool), do we know where he was in 1911 please? He seems to have known about his mother and his grandfather's name, so I wonder if he was with family who died around 1920 and couldn't look after him any longer?

Comment

Which daughter married a Hill? The 6 year old grandson in 1911 i.e. Spencer Hill born Bramber Sussex appears to be Spencer Thomas W Hill born Sept 1905 Steyning 2b 288 - mmn Page. Which struck me because his Christian names are similar to the one used later by William (Spencer) Page.
                Sorry, I haven't got time to type out the full details of 1911. But you should find him with grandparents Spencer any Fanny on FMP ok. They are living in Hove.

Comment

Thank you will check that out

Comment

I found it for you on FMP -
                    Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

I can't find a marriage or death for him under that name. Could he possibly be 'your' Spencer, or did one of the other daughters marry a Hill?

Comment

That's brilliant Chrissie, thank you for your help
                      Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      I found it for you on FMP -
                      Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

I can't find a marriage or death for him under that name. Could he possibly be 'your' Spencer, or did one of the other daughters marry a Hill?

Comment

Working...
                      X