Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard West

I am trying to trace Richard West back.

What I have so far is he was born about 1807 and died in Launceston Tasmania in 1877.

His death notice says late of Middlesex England.

He married Jane Baker in Hobart Tasmania in 1835.

I have found 12 children born to this couple.

As he'd left England prior to civil registration and census returns, have you looked at church records for possible baptisms? (You could try following through any of these for elimination purposes.)
    Have you found anything to suggest that he was transported? IF so, there may be details of his crime in English newspapers, or he could be included in a criminal record index or in the catalogue of a record office local to where he lived. If he wasn't transported, then perhaps he was military or government appointed personnel, in which case there may also be some record of him.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-08-17, 08:13.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I cant find anything to suggest when he arrived in Hobart.

On the birth registrations of his children here in Tasmania he is a labourer.

If he was transported to Australia it wasn't to Tasmania.........as neither convict fits.

Comment

Does his death certificate not say how long he had been in Australia for? I got a immigration approx year for 4 people from their death certs which helped a lot as I'd been looking for couples travelling together.

Comment

I don't have his death certificate.......I doubt there would be much on there anyway......being 1877.

At $40.00 each I try not to buy too many.

It was his death notice in the paper which said he was late of Middlesex England.

This is his death registration............the informant was the undertaker...........(as was all of the deaths on the pages)

richarddeath.PNG

Here is his death notice from the paper

richardwest.PNG
          Last edited by flashieboy; 18-08-17, 10:28.

Comment

I think without a bit more knowledge about him it's going to be difficult with a name like Richard West. There are several baptisms for a Richard West around that time frame in Middlesex and similar, as per this list -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I agree Chrissie.

It has been suggested that he may belong to the family Of Reverend John West here in Tasmania.

But I cant say if that is correct or not.

I was hoping a new pair of eyes may see something I have missed.

Comment

Do any of his children have unusual or 'family' names which might help link Richard to a birth family?

Comment

The boys are standard names........William...Richard....James.....John.. ........Alfred.

The girls.....Emma.....Jessie....Susan.....Susannah... ..Rosalin.....Elizabeth...Abia

Comment

Some to have a look at?

Name: Richard West
                    Vessel: Planter
                    Convicted Date: 20 Feb 1832
                    Voyage Date: 13 Jun 1832
                    Colony: New South Wales
                    Place of Conviction: Surrey, England
                    Richard West 2.JPG

1826 Old Bailey Sessions

Richard West.JPG

R West Trial 13 Jan 1826.JPG
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 19-08-17, 10:33. Reason: added info
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I had ruled him out as he was showing in the muster still in NSW in 1837.

My Richard West married in Tasmania in 1835.

Comment

What about the other one sentenced in 1826?
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Which ship was he on................I cant find him.

Comment

I too was looking at the one Kat put up convicted Surrey 1832. He was born Oxfordshire and came over on the Planter. Lots of info about him.
                            Ticket to Leave, Pardon and record of him being a patient in the Liverpool Asylum, Launcseton. All on Ancestry. The Parish record of Richard's marriage to Ann 1835 unfortunately doesn't name parents.

How certain are you that Richard was born Middlesex. Do you have any other evidence other than that in the Death notice?

Vera

Comment

No nothing...............but it must have been his family put the death notice in.

I cant find anything about the other Richard West sentenced to transportation in 1826/7

Comment

On FMP
                                Millbank Prison, Middlesex

Richard West
                                Parish of St John , Middlesex
                                Labourer
                                aged 31
                                Married
                                No children
                                5' 3" tall Dk brown hair, dark complexion, grey eyes. Cut to head over R temple
                                Good health

Received Millbank 31/01/1826
                                From Newgate
                                Good character in prison
                                Embezzlement
                                Old Bailey 12/01/1826
                                Sentenced transportation 7 years

Expiration of sentence 16/01/1831
                                Does not say if he was discharged after expire of sentence but not likely to be transported after 5 years.

Vera

Comment

Thank you.

Looks like I Might have to put him back in the too hard basket for now.

Comment

I'm just looking at a couple of census, one of which has 'entry as a free man' ticked but can't easily read the address. Have you seen them on the Tasmania Linc site?
                                    Did Richard marry twice or did Ann change her name to Jane?

Vera
                                    Last edited by vera2013; 21-08-17, 15:55.

Comment

He only married once.

Not sure why her name is Ann on there...............she definitely was Jane Baker.

Yes I have seen the census.............which is why I didn't think he was a convict............(but of course I could not 100% rule it out)

Comment

Have looked for passenger lists assisted and unassisted. Can't find an assisted passenger list that fits the likely date of arrival. There is an unassisted one for 1832 SS Grecian for a Mr West but with 4 children so not likely to be your Richard.

Hopefully more Passenger lists will become available in the future.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X