X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland Ohio birth registration

Another query about my Straughan/Stracken/Hogan family :o

Birth registration for Rosetta Luella

This is different from most of the others on the page. Do you think it has been amended post initial registration? If so, I'm wondering when and why. As the parents were illiterate - both made their mark on their marriage certificate - I can't envisage that they went back to complain that there had been an error on the original! I'm wondering if Rosella needed a copy at some time and it was discovered that there was a mistake.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 10-08-17, 12:14.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

And another query, lol,

Does this indicate the birth of twins, a female AND a male? If so, it could solve a big puzzle that's had me banging my head against the wall for almost a week!:D (and would prove you shouldn't believe all you see on "official" records.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Is it the FM in the sex field that makes you think twins? I just think it means FeMale.

In fact, the next cert card, shows "twins" - if you keep following, there is in image 2192, "FM" again. In the previous ones they used Male and Boy. Obviously, not a well controlled entry.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        Birth registration for Rosetta Luella

This is different from most of the others on the page. Do you think it has been amended post initial registration?

Jay
        It's a peculiar registration book. For the most part, the children's names are not listed, just the parents.

I wonder if there is a certificate somewhere, #344331 (or 394331?), that has information about her.

I can't remember - were you able to trace her forward? could she have become a ward of the court - perhaps after her mother died?

Comment

Thanks PF. Yes, I'm able to track Rosetta through marriage and having children, up to her death

I got so wound up about the children, I hadn't noticed that most of the babies were not named. This may have been the norm as it's the same situation in March 1888 on the birth registration which corresponds with the FM docket.It gives parents, address, dob, but no name or sex of child. I found a corresponding August 1888 death cert & cemetery record for Sarah Strafere of Herman Street, aged five months.
          I have found no documentation for the birth of Nell jnr. According to 1900 census her dob was 7 Jun 1891and she was 8. In 1910 census she was 17 then in later life it goes back to 1893, with her death cert recording her dob as 26 June 1893. Her father died 6 April 1892, so if the dob on the death cert is correct, she wasn't conceived until after the death of her mother's husband!
          I wonder if she was born posthumously on 7 June 1892, as the newspaper cutting you kindly sent stating the family were in financial distress, reported there were 5 surviving children - Nell was the sixth surviving child.
          Frances, William and John were born in England, there was Thomas, Sarah (deceased) Rosetta and Nell born in Cleveland.
          Thomas is another enigma, which is why I wondered if there had been twins?? I have his birth registration - 1 August 1885, son of Thomas & Ellen - then in 1900 census his birth is October 1887. By the time of draft for WW1 he reverts to 1 August 1885, but I had wondered for some time if he and Sarah had been twins, a former Thomas having died, although I could find no death record.

So, to recap, I have a birth registration for Thomas (1885) dockets AND birth registrations for Sarah (1888) & Rosetta (1889) but nothing for Nell. No baptisms found for any of these three. And there was a Thomas and Elizabeth Straughan having child(ren) in the area around the same time. Gets confusing.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think if you found someone who understood that registration book, you might be able to find more information about Rosetta. There's some reason why they went back well after the fact and made that notation. And I wonder if one of the possibilities is that she was a minor when she was orphaned?

Maybe posting on Ancestry? Does FamilySearch still have a method of posting questions to their genealogists?

I decided early in my research that they lied about their DOBs because they could. Clearly some didn't know/couldn't keep track of their DOBs, some times it was because a different person was reporting the information. But clearly, some of mine were lying. Usually female ;)
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 11-08-17, 15:37.

Comment

PF, thanks so much for your welcome advice.
              I think what I might do, next week, is to try and e-mail the relevant Ohio department and ask if they can explain the amendment to the record.
              I don't hold out a lot of hope as in the past I have tried contacting various official departments/sheriff's offices in other states and all I got was the run around to try somewhere else or to phone (from the UK in peak time? don't want to know that desperately!) I've also found a couple of city historical societies unhelpful, both only helping annual subscribers. I realise the latter are manned by volunteers, but I do wonder if the donors of materials realise the mean-spiritedness of the recipients. With e-mail enquiries, there aren't even any postal costs. I wasn't after look ups, just information of who might have the information and where to contact them.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
              X