No announcement yet.

Missing in 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering could it have been about the onset of War. If William had been killed, there would not have been a Widows pension for Mary Ann.

Or maybe they finally took notice of the Priest☺. Think it's more to do with protecting themselves financially.

You mentioned ?Thomas referring to Mary Ann as Cochrane. I recall my late Irish sil when chatting would always refer to female relatives by their maiden names.

Was typing as Julie posted

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 17-05-17, 14:40.

Comment

Julie, nothing in the papers.
      Going by the burial date of 16 Nov 1918, Kate could have had flu. Her aunt Mrs Margaret Drummond died of flu and pneumonia in July 1918, then in January 1919 her cousin Michael (recently returned from WW1) caught flu, developed pneumonia and died.
      The "common" cause of death for young women was either TB or pregnancy /childbirth complications - the latter is why I'd like to trace her in 1911, especially in view of my discoveries about her last two female relatives who didn't marry.

Vera, I do agree that the reason for the M A Cochrane/Davy marriage was most likely financial. Hadn't thought about the war, but wouldn't William have been far too old for call up? However, I do realise that working in the shipyards and in the port/dock area could have made him vulnerable to threats of air attack.
      Doesn't family history throw up some provocative questions and links? As an aside, I believe the very first Ark Royal was built at Blyth - Dad's big brother worked in the shipyard and he and Dad often had discussions about various craft, but I was too young to have any interest and switched off.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I was thinking more of William being a civilian death.

I'm not sure about Ark Royal. Will have a Google. My father worked as a Rivetter in a repair yard on the Tyne. I believe they did build some small vessels also. On one occasion the young daughter of a workman was given the honour of naming the ship. It wasn't me.

Vera

Comment

sorry Jay, just got back to this thread as I have been cooking and baking with my youngest daughter.

wasn't it Spanish Flu in 1918?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes Julie, my hubby's grandmother died young in 1918 with the flu.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes, it was Julie, but I'm not sure a doctor would have put Spanish flu on a death cert then. It was only after the event that that strain was later given the name "Spanish" I think. However, I'm no medic, so could well be wrong! I've got the cert for the soldier cousin and have seen the one for the aunt - both say influenza and pneumonia.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes sorry, should have added that it just said influenza. I do know that there was an epidemic at that time though.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                X