Missing in 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1901

Margaret Cochrane (rife for a whole host of mis-recordings and mis-transcriptions) born Blyth Northumberland in January 1885. In 1891 she was in the family home at Blyth with her mother and siblings, but by 1901 she would have been of employable age and is not with her mother and the youngest family members. So, she would not be any of the Margarets recorded as daughter.

The Cochranes were a family of poor means and of Irish and Scots stock; the girls usually continued to live at home and to go out to work, daily. I would expect to find Margaret as a general maid of all work in a working class household rather than as a parlourmaid in a well-to-do establishment.

Margaret married in Blyth in 1904 and I have her other life events - it's just the 1901 record I'd love to find.

I have to go out in a little while, but will be back mid-afternoon. (Just so no-one thinks I'm ignoring them!)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Thanks for that census link Val, and sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday.

I hadn't seen that entry before - but I don't think it's her for two reasons: 1) she would have been of employable age and her parents would have wanted any wage she could have brought in (life for her mother was VERY tough) 2) that Maggie seems to have a younger boy George with her and although my Margaret had a whole host of brothers, none of them was named George and they are all accounted for in 1901. Both Maggie & George give Newcastle as place of birth.

There were several different Cochrane families in that area with the usual problem of them all using the same few forenames.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 10-05-17, 12:02.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hi Janet
      Could this be her

Census Transcript Household Northumberland 1901
      Address
      South Middleton Farm
      Parish

Registration District
      Morpeth Castle, Morpeth
      Image Reference
      RG13/4831/F?
      Found 9 Results.
      Forename
      Surname
      Relation
      Birth Place
      Occupation

John
      Robson
      Head
      Hartburn, Northumberland
      Farmer

Annie M R
      Robson
      Wife
      Meldon, Northumberland

Jane
      Robson
      Daughter
      Hartburn, Northumberland

William
      Robson
      Son
      Hartburn, Northumberland

Thomas
      Robson
      Son
      Hartburn, Northumberland

Mary
      Robson
      Daughter
      Hartburn, Northumberland

John
      Swan
      Servant
      Northumberland
      Ordinary Agricultural Labourer

Mary M S
      Ellison
      Servant
      Hartburn, Northumberland
      General Servant Domestic

Margaret
      Cockburn
      Servant
      Hartburn, Northumberland
      General Servant Domestic

Found 9 Results.
      Print
      Close

Comment

Thanks for that maesglassclub

I got all excited because the surnames sound very similar, but Margaret Cockburn (of matching age) has show up in the Morpeth region in 1891, living with her family :( so I don't think she's my girl.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

had another look tonight but nothing sorry.

Comment

Thanks for trying Val.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have been looking Jay but nothing coming up. I doubt she missed the census. As you say very likely to be employed. Will check what my relies did who lived across the water.

Vera

Comment

Thanks, Vera.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Is this her birth reg or is this a different one? I notice that her mmn should be Macdonald according to Katie's birth info.
                  COCKRANE, MARGARET mmn MCDONNA - GRO Reference: 1885 M Quarter in TYNEMOUTH Volume 10B Page
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie. the mmn was actually McDonough, but often mis-written as McDonna. On a couple of occasions the registrar mis-interpreted the Irish brogue and registered the event as M(a)cDonald. In the church register, the priest recorded one of the baptisms as Donough.

ETA - don't waste time on the extended family, Chrissie as there are so many Irish surnames mis-recorded and lots of marriages between all the different strands. They have given me many a headache over the decades:D

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 11-05-17, 21:43.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have been trying to find her in 1901 for the last couple of days Janet and was just trying to eliminate some possibles

Comment

Thank you for trying, Chrissie. I think it will have to go back onto the mystery pile, along with some of her siblings.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I wondered if she was with Mary Ann but can't find her in 1901 either.

Vera

Comment

Hiya Jay, Have you seen this, it looks like the owner of the tree has a 1901 "Cochrane" census...?

Sorry, I can't look as I'm not a member....

Jacky

Comment

Thanks for that, Jacky. That tree contains Margaret and all her siblings, but unfortunately a lot of the life event dates are missing for most of them. In fact, they have far fewer details than I have.
                              I was planning to "write up" brief biographies of all my "Irish" line and then draw a line under them as it were, but found I'd got a few census gaps for some of them, especially the Cochrane family. I had been hoping to find some of the "missing" census appearances, but I'm having no success. I guess that's why I never wrote up this line several years ago.

Vera, I guess you're right - sister Mary Ann is also "missing" so they could be together. I have a note that Mary Ann MAY have married in 1898 and become Mrs Allen, but not able to prove that as yet. Their mother died in late 1901 and there was total breakdown of the extended family after that. Thanks for trying to locate them.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I looked at a possible for Mary Ann marrying,one being to an Allen. They ended up in America but in the end that Mary Ann was shown as d of ?Robert and Jane. Will check my jottings/history.

Vera

Comment

Is there any possibility that they could be with relatives in Ireland?

Comment

That's interesting Vera. I think I tracked one William Allen & wife Mary A, and found them later (perhaps 1911??) with a child I couldn't identify as belonging to them. nor with any of my Mary Ann's siblings. (It seems Blyth RC weddings haven't all been indexed on familysearch and the images are only viewable at LDS centres.) As these families are first cousins once removed, I don't feel I can justify the price of the certs when there are so many variables, making the odds of getting "duff" certs quite high.

Chrissie, anything is possible, but although the Cochrane girls' grandparents were Irish emigrants, I don't think any of them ever travelled back across the water.

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

From my jottings. From various records on Ancestry. A William Allen and Mary Ann Cochrane married at St Mary's Church, Blyth on 19 March 1898.

1911 Census
                                      William b 1877 Alnwick
                                      Mary Ann b 1883 Cambois, Northumberland
                                      Thomas Makepeace Brodey Aged 1 b Gateshead
                                      Adopted child
                                      Edward Fittus, Cousin aged 30 b Heworth, Lab
                                      Living 17 Grainger St, Blyth

1915 William joined the Army, living 15 Grainger
                                      Street b Alnwick aged 38. Nok Mary Ann Allen. Children William (?adopted child Thomas)b 25/08/1909 Gateshead, Robert b 1914 Blyth.

1918 Discharged to shipbuilding, Platers Lab

1922 02/01 William Allen Returning to USA from Liverpool to Boston
                                      b Alnwick, aged 45, Miner. To rejoin wife Mary Ann, Windsor Heights, Brook Co, W Virginia

1961 28/05 Death cert Mary Ann Allen, Windsor Heights b 22/10/1882
                                      Father Robert, mother Jane Isabel Headley
                                      Informant Robert H Allen

Vera
                                      Last edited by vera2013; 12-05-17, 22:04.

Comment

Working...
                                      X