Marriage date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage date

Looking for marriage record or date of Edward Peace (1850-deceased), born in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England, and
    Mary Ann Clarke (1867-deceased) born in Castlemorton, Worcestershire, England.
    Edward's parents were Edward Peace (1819-deceased) and Mary Ann Webb (1819-deceased)
    Mary Anns' parents were Matthew Clarke (1839-deceased) and Esther Jeynes (1838-1882)
    Any assistance in finding anything about them would be greatly appreciated.

for interest, and not sure if you have this ......

Edward and Mary Ann are shown as married on the 1891 Census, living in Bordesley, Warwickshire. The surname is wrongly transcribed as Pearce, but this has been corrected

Name Edward Pearce [Edward Peace]
    Age 41
    Estimated Birth Year abt 1850
    Relation Head
    Spouse's Name Mary Ann Pearce

Edward Pearce 41 French Polisher
    Mary Ann Pearce 24
    Albert E Pearce 6 b.ca 1885 Birmingham, Warwickshire
    George F K Pearce 4 b.ca 1887, Birmingham
    Francis F Clarke 20 Brother-in-Law, Shunter Railway

Interesting .......... no mother's maiden name is shown on Albert's birth registration

PEACE, ALBERT EDWARD mmn -
    GRO Reference: 1884 S Quarter in ASTON Volume 06D Page 273
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Birmingham, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1912

Name: Albert Edward Peace
      Birth Date: 18 Jul 1884
      Baptism Date: 19 Jan 1887
      Baptism Place: Hockley, All Saints, Warwickshire, England
      Parish as it Appears: Hockley, All Saints
      Father: Edward Peace
      Mother: Mary Ann Peace

Address:- 9 Potter Street Lancaster Street
      Father occupation - French Polisher

Baptised at the same time .........

Name: George Frederick Peace
      Birth Date: 4 May 1886
      Baptism Date: 19 Jan 1887
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

BUT I cannot find a marriage for them .......

may be they didn't marry????

Comment

Me neither, can't see them marrying anyone else. Popped Matthew in as father only and just 4 marriages which didn't help.
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

In 1881 Edward is with his brother Frederick and mother Mary Ann

Edward is recorded as being married

Frederick Head 24
            Mary Ann Mother Widow 62
            Edward Brother 31
            Elizabeth A Sister 25
            Emma Hanks Niece 5
            Living 85 Albion Street, Ladywood, Birmingham

There is a marriage for an Edward Peace to Harriet Cheslin 2nd Q 1979 Birmingham. Other names Walter Rudd and Patience Harris. Can see them together in 1881.

No sign of a Harriet Cheslin or Peace in 1881 although there is a Harriet Cheslin b 1861single with f John and mother Mary Ann in 1891 Birmingham.

Vera

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. My grandfather is George Frederick Clarke, born 4 May 1886 in Birmingham. to Mary Ann Clarke, no father listed on the birth certificate. His marriage certificate, in 1910 in San Diego, California, USA, states his mother's name as Mary Ann Jeans, and father Albert Edward Clarke. After searching for many years, I have come to this conclusion: He used his grandmother's maiden name (Jeynes) for his mother's name, and his brother's name, Albert Edward Clarke as his father's name. Those of you who have responded probably noticed there is quite a difference in age between Mary Ann and Edwrd Peace, something like 17 years as ia recall. i think Mary Ann had two children out of wedlock, Albert Edward and George Frederick Clarke, and then hooked up with Edward Peace, because I can find no record of a marriage anywhere.
              I believe that Matthew Clarke and Esther Jeynes are the parents of Mary Ann Clarke. But I would surely like to know if Edward Peace is the father George Frederick Clarke. I don't think he is.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

There is a marriage for an Edward Peace to Harriet Cheslin 2nd Q 1879 Birmingham.

No sign of a Harriet Cheslin or Peace in 1881 although there is a Harriet Cheslin b 1861 single with f John and mother Mary Ann in 1891 Birmingham.

Vera

This is the ref for the first marriage to Edward Peace:

Name: Harriett Cheslin
                Registration Year: 1879
                Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
                Registration district: Birmingham
                Inferred County: Warwickshire
                Volume: 6d
                Page: 244

although what is rather interesting is that I have found another marriage for Harriet Cheslin/g in 1880 Birmingham:

Name: Harriet Chesling
                Marital Status: Single
                Birth Date: 1859
                Marriage Date: 26 Jul 1880
                Marriage Place: St. Peter & St. Paul, Aston, Warwick, England
                Father: John Chesling
                Spouse: Richard Phillips
                FHL Film Number: 1545534
                Reference ID: item 2, p 79, no 158

and this is the ref to the marriage above:

Name: Harriet Chesling
                Registration Year: 1880
                Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
                Registration district: Aston
                Inferred County: Warwickshire
                Volume: 6d
                Page: 304

Now, I think that the reason Edward didn't marry Mary Ann was he was already married to Harriet. Divorce was very expensive then so many people just ignored it and went on to marry bigamously. From looking through the information it seems that Harriet [for whatever reason] always stated she was single [I couldn't spot two Harriet Cheslin/gs in the index either, just the one with a father John]

In my experience it wasn't uncommon for someone to live and take their name as though they were married and have children that took on their fathers name as if they were actually married. I had a similar situation parents Joseph and Mary had 11 children always stated married baptised children etc.. couldn't find a marriage anywhere......except 40 years after they first got together, they married in 1906 and her 'husband' died in 1907.

I would look at getting the marriage certs just to rule it out as a possibility. But it could very well be that Mary Ann Clarke and Edward did actually have the children together.

as for your reply about your grandfather and him using his grandmothers maiden name as his mothers maiden name I suspect this was purely used to cover up the fact that he was illegitimate and by using the info he did made it look as though he had wedded parents.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

According to my father who is now deceased, George Frederick Clarke went AWOL from the Royal Navy and came to the United States. I'm of the opinion that he gave the incorrect
                  names for father and mother in order to avoid detection and possible arrest. My dad also said that George entered the WWI Canadian Expeditionary Forces because clemency was offered to those who had deserted if they enlisted. I have found no record that this offer is true, but as of now, it remains a part of our belief.

Comment

Clemency may not have been a widely publicized action and may have been offered on circumstances relating to an individual. I really don't know. However, the in the Attestation papers that George filled out in Canada he claimed that he had never been in any UK Military Service. Maybe he had to do that to enlist, but if so, it just adds another lie to his legacy..

Comment

George Frederick Clarke joined the Royal Navy at Chatham with Service No. 225342 on 16/3/1903, when he was described as being 5ft 3ins, Fair hair, Brown Eyes, Fair Complexion, with a small scar under his left eye and a scar on his right leg. His d.o.b. was recorded as 4/5/1886 and came from Birmingham where his Occupation was an Engine Cleaner. He was engaged as a Boy 2nd Class on HMS Northampton on 16/3/1903 and was made Boy 1st Class on the same ship on 15/6/1903, shortly before he left that ship on 26/6/1903 and was drafted to HMS Victory on 27/6/1903. For some offence he was in Cells for 14 days in December 1903 before returning to HMS Victory briefly for a few days until 16/12/1903.On 17/12/1903, He was drafted to HMS Berwick and on that ship he was made Ordinary Seaman the following year on 4/5/1904.(His boy's service had ended and that is the lowest rank in the RN for a man.) There is an annotation below the last entry on 28/7/1905 of Acting Sig, presumably Acting Signalman. The next entry is dated 12/11/1905 and is simply Run.
                      Lower down the page it is clarified with 'Run 12/11/1905 'Berwick' New York, USA.'

Hope this fills some blanks for you, and if he declared in Canada that he had never served in any military service, it just shows that he knew just how long the Navy's arm was if they ever caught up with a man that had Run.

merleyone

Comment

Working...
                      X