Susannah and father George Aldred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susannah and father George Aldred

Susannah Aldred married my 3 x Great Grandfather George Sporle, Ipswich St Peter, 6 Mar 1831 St.Mary Stoke, Ipswich, Suffolk.
    On 1881 census, Susannah (Susan) age 72, born Ipswich, was a widow and shoe binder living with her sister, Caroline Chaplin (widow age 77 -Head - Mangle woman) at 27 Whip Street, Ipswich.
    Unable to find a baptism for Susannah I traced her sister Caroline (baptism 1803) back to parents George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling.
    When Susannah died 22 March 1886 aged 76 at Stoke Street, Ipswich, Elizabeth Cork, niece, (daughter of Susannah`s sister Sarah), of 88 Croft Street, Ipswich was present at her death. Sarah`s marriage and baptism confirmed that she too was the daughter of George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling.

Query: Am I safe to assume Susannah is the daughter of George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling?

George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling married 12 Jan 1794 at St Matthews Ipswich. George is a widow by 1851. The birth on his last census says b 1770 Brantham, Suffolk.
    The only baptism I can find is a George Aldridge Bap 8 April 1770 at Brantham. Two trees on Ancestry, one is my cousin to whom I sent a gedcom and she promptly put it public (!) and another one, both have George born Ipswich with parents George Aldrid and Mary Woollard (married Ipswich) which I think is wrong as he says born Brantham not Ipswich.
    Funnily enough although I have the death cert for George Aldred – 1854 I cannot find a suitable death for his wife Elizabeth Aldred (Girling) except for this one:
    ALDRICH, ELIZABETH age 76 GRO Reference: 1847 D Quarter in IPSWICH Volume 12 Page 235

Elizabeth Girling – I found a bap for her 9 jun 1769 to Robert and Catherine at St Matthew, Ipswich and a marriage for Robert and Catherine Basket at St Matthew 19 Nov 1764.

Query: Assuming Susannah is the daughter of George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling, do you think that there has been a name change from Aldridge to Aldred?
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-04-17, 00:33. Reason: highlighting
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Going through Suffolk PRs I have found the names you mention interchangeable plus a few more besides.
    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
      Susannah Aldred married my 3 x Great Grandfather George Sporle, Ipswich St Peter, 6 Mar 1831 St.Mary Stoke, Ipswich, Suffolk.
      On 1881 census, Susannah (Susan) age 72, born Ipswich, was a widow and shoe binder living with her sister, Caroline Chaplin (widow age 77 -Head - Mangle woman) at 27 Whip Street, Ipswich.
      Unable to find a baptism for Susannah I traced her sister Caroline (baptism 1803) back to parents George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling.
      When Susannah died 22 March 1886 aged 76 at Stoke Street, Ipswich, Elizabeth Cork, niece, (daughter of Susannah`s sister Sarah), of 88 Croft Street, Ipswich was present at her death. Sarah`s marriage and baptism confirmed that she too was the daughter of George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling.

Query: Am I safe to assume Susannah is the daughter of George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling?

George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling married 12 Jan 1794 at St Matthews Ipswich. George is a widow by 1851. The birth on his last census says b 1770 Brantham, Suffolk.
      The only baptism I can find is a George Aldridge Bap 8 April 1770 at Brantham. Two trees on Ancestry, one is my cousin to whom I sent a gedcom and she promptly put it public (!) and another one, both have George born Ipswich with parents George Aldrid and Mary Woollard (married Ipswich) which I think is wrong as he says born Brantham not Ipswich.
      Funnily enough although I have the death cert for George Aldred – 1854 I cannot find a suitable death for his wife Elizabeth Aldred (Girling) except for this one:
      ALDRICH, ELIZABETH age 76 GRO Reference: 1847 D Quarter in IPSWICH Volume 12 Page 235

Elizabeth Girling – I found a bap for her 9 jun 1769 to Robert and Catherine at St Matthew, Ipswich and a marriage for Robert and Catherine Basket at St Matthew 19 Nov 1764.

Query: Assuming Susannah is the daughter of George Aldred and Elizabeth Girling, do you think that there has been a name change from Aldridge to Aldred?
      Not a name change as such just different spellings by those who heard the name and had to write it down - if you say the various names out loud you can appreciate how with an regional 'burr' they could sound the same.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
        Going through Suffolk PRs I have found the names you mention interchangeable plus a few more besides.
        I cannot see a George Aldred/Aldrich/Aldrid bap for Brantham on Family Search, Ancestry or FMP. Where did you find these PR's please. I have sent for Elizabeth Aldrich death cert to see if she is "mine"
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-04-17, 10:21.
        Kat

Comment

Sorry I meant to say I cannot find George Aldrich's parents marriage and baptisms not George's. His parents according to FS were John and Elizabeth Aldrich.
          Kat

Comment

I cannot see a George Aldred/Aldrich/Aldrid bap for Brantham on Family Search, Ancestry or FMP. Where did you find these PR's please. I have sent for Elizabeth Aldrich death cert to see if she is "mine"
            Suffolk Record Offices. I don't have any connections to them but the friend I travel with does so I'm always aware of them.
            Glen

Comment

OK thanks Glen. I'll have to see if I can persuade my OH to make a trip to Suffolk again. I had heard that Suffolk RO were planning to put the PR's online. That seems to have stalled for some reason. Hopefully they will be like SEAX and we will be able to browse the digitised Registers and not the microfiche. Some of those for the parishes I need are very poor - a lot of them were /are out of focus.
              Kat

Comment

I enquired about the PRs when I was there last month: they haven't even entered in to negotiations with anyone yet so online registers are a while away. They do have wills, marriage bonds & the like on the Suffolk Archives site which can be ordered - at a price!!
                Glen

Comment

Do you know if Bury St Edmunds RO hold all the same PR's as Ipswich RO Glen? It would not be such a long journey for us.
                  Kat

Comment

Unfortunately the originals for Brantham will only be at Ipswich. Films for all parishes are held at all 3 ROs.
                    Glen

Comment

Thanks Glen.
                      Kat

Comment

I received the 1847 death cert for Elizabeth Aldrich today. The informant was her daughter Caroline Murrell and address correct so definitely her. So it is probable that Aldrich as opposed to Aldred is the original family name. The name continues as Aldred for all the future generations.
                        So must fit in a trip to a Suffolk RO sometime to trace further back.

I'm a happy bunny today - I have now completed my full set of BMD certs for all my direct relatives
                        Kat

Comment

I received the 1847 death cert for Elizabeth Aldrich today. The informant was her daughter Caroline Murrell and address correct so definitely her. So it is probable that Aldrich as opposed to Aldred is the original family name. The name continues as Aldred for all the future generations.
                          So must fit in a trip to a Suffolk RO sometime to trace further back.

I'm a happy bunny today - I have now completed my full set of BMD certs for all my direct relatives
                          that is good going Kat!

:smilee:
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                          X