Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for records in London & Kent / need help

Hi everyone,

My father William Albert Waghorn was b. 1927 in Hackney Workhouse London. His mother was Elsie Ruth Waghorn b. 1908. Sevenoaks, Kent.
    I have been struggling to find anything for her apart from her birth and her marriage later on in life & death.
    What I would like to find out was what happened with her in between her birth and Dad's birth and after that.

I did the Ancestry DNA test and have come up with 31% GB and 28% European Jewish. Dad was illegitimate and so was his mother so my guess is the Euro/Jewish could be the unknown father of William or the unknown father of Elsie.
    I can trace my Waghorn family back to around 1799.

Also my GGGrandfather was a police inspector at Maidstone and havent been lucky enough to source any info about that apart from what is on the Census records. Any help there would be great too
    William George Waghorn b. 1850/1 Brenchley, Kent

I currently am an active member of Ancestry but live in Australia so its a bit hard to do much digging.
    Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Kirsty

Our T&C's don't allow the posting of the names of living people or those who may still be alive Kirsty. So I'm afraid I have had to removed your father's name as you don't say whether he is deceased or not. If he is we can put it back in for you.

Thank you Kirsty - now back in
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 12-04-17, 09:35.

woops - yes he is deceased 1927-2000

Comment

Thanks Kirsty, I have put his name back in
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

This is an old post (possibly yours?) giving a little more detail:

Trying to trace any information on my grandmother b 16/5/1908 at 112 High Street, Sevenoaks. She was born to a single mother - Alice Mable Waghorn - the daughter of Police Sargeant William George Waghorn and Emily Bramley (29 Albion Place, Maidstone). She gave birth to my father William Albert Waghorn b 23/9/1927 at 230 High Street, Homerton London. She also was a single mother and both were admitted to the Hackney Workhouse on 4/10/1927 on transfer from the adjacent Hackney Hospital. My father was transferred back to the hospital on 10/10/1927, whilst his mother discharged herself (own request) on 29/10/1927 (from the Workhouse??). No nearest relative was given for Elsie with the entry reading "Friend - Miss J Cook 49 Tresham Avenue E9".

Comment

If you google "inspector waghorn" maidstone there are several or many press articles including snippets you can see at genesreunited. These can be searched if you have a sub to findmypast or if you have a (sometimes very low cost) sub with the British Newspaper Archive. This will gice you informatiion on the cases he worked on - it seems he became Chief Inspector - and I would imagine, if he remained in Kent, there would be an obituary too.

Comment

William G WAGHORN likely died Q2 1926 Maidstone age 75

Comment

There is also an entry in the North West Kent Family History Journal 03/06 (which can be downloaded as a PDF - just type in "elsie ruth waghorn" into google to see it). It likely has details you already know - but I attach the relevant snippet.

nwkfhs snippet.PNG

Comment

Have you found Elsie in 1939? She married Frederick G BROOKER Q1 1956 Surrey NE

Comment

I have looked for her in 1939 Bertie without success. She didn't die until 1958 though, so may still be redacted.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

According to a familysearch pedigree resource file the family is:

John WAGHORN [born 10 Apr 1800 Brenchley KENT, died 06 Nov 1876 Paddock Wood Brenchley KENT] married 17 Oct 1820 Speldhurst KENT to Mary SPLAYFOOT [born c1805 Inverness - died unknown] they had:

George WAGHORN [born 19 Jul 1831 Horsmonden KENT, died unknown] married about 1852 KENT to Jane HACK [born c1830 Eat Peckham KENT, died 1902 location unstated] thet had:

William George WAGHORN [born c1851 Brenchley KENT, died 06 May 1926 Maidstone] married 1875 Emily BRAMLEY location unstated - likely Q1 1875 Maidstone [born c1850 Birling KENT, died 1895 location unstated]

Is this tree correct? In particular do you have the birth record of William George WAGHORN?

Comment

To continue from post above:

Name Alice Mabel Waghorn
                      Gender Female
                      Christening Date 28 Jul 1880
                      Christening Place Holy Trinity, Maidstone, Kent, England
                      Father's Name William George Waghorn
                      Mother's Name Emily
                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number I00535-8
                      System Origin England-EASy
                      GS Film number 1835480
                      Reference ID item 1

She was the mother of Elsie Ruth WAGHORN [born 16 May 1908 Sevenoaks, Kent] who was the mother of William Albert WAGHORN [born 23 Sep 1927 Homerton, Hackney]

Comment

There is an ancestry tree that has William Albert WAGHORN [Paul MANSON] 1927-2000. Was he the Paul MANSON that departed for Melbourne in 1951? Does this mean that William / Paul was adopted? Are there any clues from his adoptive parents about the circumstances / location of his mother Elsie?

Comment

Hi Bertie,

Thanks for all that information you have found
                          Most of it I know except for the info about John and Mary from early 1800 - that's the furtherest back info I have but you may have found me the DOB's and that Mary was from Inverness - so very cool thks

Yes I have George marrying Jane Hook
                          Son Wm Geo married Emily - I have that marriage cert which my father got in the 80’s
                          I have a family tree via a cousin (not sure what level of cousin) but her father Geo Wm Waghorn was my GGrandmother’s (Alice M) cousin and she lived with them when Dell (B 1923) was a young girl. All Dell told me back then was that she remembered there was a skeleton in the closet.

I have the birth certs of William (Paul), Elsie, Alice
                          I have the death certs of Elsie and Frederick her husband and their marriage cert too.
                          These were all got in the early 80’s when Dad went back and when I went the following year.

Yes Paul Manson (W A Waghorn) was my father. Prior to joining the Aust Army in 1951 in London he changed his name from Waghorn and the story he told was that 1.He named himself Paul after a friend/mentor perhaps? and 2. Manson because he was the son of some man He grew up in Kent Cottage Homes in Eastry Kent under the care of the KCC. He went to school in Sandwich I think and joined the Merchant Navy for a short time in 1948.

George Wm was born in 1850 according to the family tree

Any other info I can pass on just let me know.
                          Again thanks everyone for your help so far

Cheers Kirsty

Comment

Originally posted by Trum View Post
                            Hi Bertie,

Thanks for all that information you have found
                            Most of it I know except for the info about John and Mary from early 1800 - that's the furtherest back info I have but you may have found me the DOB's and that Mary was from Inverness - so very cool thks

Yes I have George marrying Jane Hook
                            Son Wm Geo married Emily - I have that marriage cert which my father got in the 80’s
                            I have a family tree via a cousin (not sure what level of cousin) but her father Geo Wm Waghorn was my GGrandmother’s (Alice M) cousin and she lived with them when Dell (B 1923) was a young girl. All Dell told me back then was that she remembered there was a skeleton in the closet.

I have the birth certs of William (Paul), Elsie, Alice
                            I have the death certs of Elsie and Frederick her husband and their marriage cert too.
                            These were all got in the early 80’s when Dad went back and when I went the following year.

Yes Paul Manson (W A Waghorn) was my father. Prior to joining the Aust Army in 1951 in London he changed his name from Waghorn and the story he told was that 1.He named himself Paul after a friend/mentor perhaps? and 2. Manson because he was the son of some man He grew up in Kent Cottage Homes in Eastry Kent under the care of the KCC. He went to school in Sandwich I think and joined the Merchant Navy for a short time in 1948.

George Wm was born in 1850 according to the family tree

Any other info I can pass on just let me know.
                            Again thanks everyone for your help so far

Cheers Kirsty

Did your father ever ask for his KCC file? That might have details of his father or even just more details of the circumstances of his birth and of his mother.

If you don't have access to this file maybe try the Children's Home and Kent CC. There will be a contact point on their website - usually Social Services for such records.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              Did your father ever ask for his KCC file? That might have details of his father or even just more details of the circumstances of his birth and of his mother.

If you don't have access to this file maybe try the Children's Home and Kent CC. There will be a contact point on their website - usually Social Services for such records.

Margaret
                              Thanks Margaret
                              I did follow up with KCC and they were thorough in their reply but didnt really have anything new for me. Looks like I would have to visit Maidstone when I am next over or pay for some little information that i kind of know already.

Also if I wanted to follow up on a court appearance at Canterbury - can you help with how I would go about that.

Cheers
                              Kirsty

Comment

Originally posted by Trum View Post
                                Thanks Margaret
                                I did follow up with KCC and they were thorough in their reply but didnt really have anything new for me. Looks like I would have to visit Maidstone when I am next over or pay for some little information that i kind of know already.

Also if I wanted to follow up on a court appearance at Canterbury - can you help with how I would go about that.

Cheers
                                Kirsty
                                What sort of Court appearance? Some records may be available but it would be helpful to know what you are looking for.
                                Not much on line so you might need someone to go to the Records Office for you - you can ask on the forum and there is likely some kind soul who will do it for you.

Margaret
                                Last edited by margaretmarch; 11-05-17, 09:01.

Comment

Court appearances may have been reported in the newspapers? Just a thought.
                                  Anne

Comment

Working...
                                  X