No announcement yet.

Untraceable Father on Marriage Cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been looking for a baptism for Eliza b 1827. Think the family may have been non coms. One of Christopher and Betty's children,Sarah b 1830 was baptised in a Wesleyan Chapel in Duckenfield. That in itself throws up lots of other baps with Christopher ? Married to a Hannah Hinchcliff. He married Betty in 1830. Not sure which mother belongs to Eliza.

Clutching at straws a bit, there are Walker families which pop up in Census with both John and Eliza France and John H and Elizabeth 1891. James as you know married a Walker. All different families but wonder if there is a link?

Vera

Comment

That's the same path I was going along too, Vera, but I've taken a few days off to try to sort my laptop. Had to return 2 faulty ones, and still looking for a replacement for my old dinosaur! I saw the non-conformist batpistm... also wondered about the Walker family in census nearby...I'll pick things back up again on Thursday/Friday. Thanks for keeping my hunt alive!

Comment

I didn't think of looking on Lancs opc, Kathy, good move - but either they are in the sections still not transcribed there, or they are non-conformists. Are the non-conformist records patchy, with a lot missing or not online, or maybe non-conformists were less likely to stick to strict rules of baptism or even baptised children later in life??? Just some thoughts and questions for later when I get back into this. Thanks for continuing my search!

Comment

Lena I have a dinosaur with new W10. Doesn't like it. Hence I post few links as I mostly use a tablet.

Correction That should be Hannah Robinson who he married in 1812 and Betty Hinchcliff who he married in 1830.

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 06-04-17, 09:43.

Comment

I've been looking at that marriage too this morning and agree the Betty Hinchcliff one as he was a widower when he married her but I'm not sure about the first one. I would have thought more likely he married in Yorkshire. His father was Benjamin and Christopher was baptised in Holmfirth, Yorkshire
            32355_248974-00359.jpg

I just feel he may have married first in that area. Holmfirth is in the parish of Almondbury where Eliza was baptised
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Name: Bettye Hinchcliff
              Event Type: Christening (Baptism)
              Baptism Date: 16 Jul 1796
              Baptism Place: Holmfirth, Holy Trinity, Yorkshire, England
              Parish: Holmfirth, Holy Trinity
              Father: John Hinchcliff
              Kat

Comment

That looks much more likely. So will look for a Yorks. bap for Eliza. There was a bit of an anomaly in that a baptism for a Willliam Charlesworth 1833, father Christopher had a mother recorded as Betty then crossed out and Hannah replaced.

So that 1830 is probably a no no too as that was in Stockport, Cheshire and he was a widow. It doesn't fit with the birth of Eliza either. Must recheck that 1851 census to see where James was born.

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 06-04-17, 11:10.

Comment

Image does not show mother.
                  Name: Bettye Hinchcliff
                  Event Type: Christening (Baptism)
                  Baptism Date: 16 Jul 1796
                  Baptism Place: Holmfirth, Holy Trinity, Yorkshire, England
                  Parish: Holmfirth, Holy Trinity

These next two are the same. 1st one should read 1794 according to the image.

England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970
                  Birth, Marriage & Death, including Parish
                  Name Betty Hinchcliffe
                  Mother Hannah Hinchcliffe
                  Father John Hinchcliffe
                  Birth 1 Apr 1793
                  Baptism 10 Jul 1793 Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England
                  Vital 10 Jul 1793 Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England

Name: Betty Hinchcliff
                  Birth Date: 21 Apr 1794
                  Baptism Date: 10 Jul 1794
                  Baptism Place: Ossett Green Independent Congregational,Ossett,York,England
                  Mother: Hannah
                  FHL Film Number: 0828149 (RG4 3076)

I think the Holmfirth one is the correct one and the John and Hannah one are a different but maybe related family
                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-04-17, 12:53.
                  Kat

Comment

The 1841 census for Christopher at Ashton under Lyne shows Christopher, Betty and Eliza born Out of County but William and James born Lancs

Betty was transcribed as age 20 but on image it looks more like 40
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 06-04-17, 13:01.
                    Kat

Comment

Couldnt find that bap for Betty with an e like olde worlde! Can't find Eliza's bap in Cheshire or Yorks.

I'm wondering if that Hannah Robinson m is ok after all.

A William Charlesworth was bap on the same day as a James Charlesworth in 1833. Williams record is altered to show mother is Helen. Both the same for father, occ and abode. Perhaps a late bap for William after his mother died.

Vera

Comment

Bettye Hinchciff Baptism

Kat

Comment

Kathy: That looks like the right baptism for Berry H. I see that Greenfield, her given birthplace in censuses, isn't far from Upperthong. She seems to have shaved a few years off her age though, going by each census, which has her born nearer the turn of the century. Just working backward looking from the latest posts on here. Thanks for your work

Vera: Thank you for noticing James France next door to my Elizabeth and pursuing it!!
                          I hate Windows 10!! All the laptops have slowed down because of it, and there are glitches and lack of compatibility! Why do they keep promoting it for everyone, when so many machines just don't have the hardware to cope with it well? Difficult to get a new one without W10, very frustrating!!

Comment

Bettye's parents were living in Upperthong when she was baptised, I also found a possible brother, Jonathan Hinchcliffe baptised in Holmfirth/Almondbury in 1799, his parents (John & Hannah Taylor) living in Hey in Thong. Sorry if I'm repeating what's already been found.

Comment

Just noticed a James Hinchcliffe is staying in the same building/household as Christopher and Betty in 1841, he's a cotton peicer, born abt 1816 in Lancs.

Comment

Working...
                              X