No announcement yet.

Looking for a Marriage, - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But if the bride and groom both live in the same parish, and that is where they are marrying, there is only the one set of banns. Years ago, to save money, one of the parties from a second parish often lodged in the first parish for the three weeks that the banns were being read, in order to fulfil the residency requirement.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks so much for looking everyone. I'm just back from Italy, where I was unable to access this Forum on my tablet, - and so will look through this all slowly...

Re: James William Wilson, Born Manchester 1859... I ordered his Birth Cert a while back, but I don't think that he's my Grandfather. JWWilsonBCAncoats.jpg

The James William Wilson in Kingston-upon-Hull is also a coincidence, - as he's still there running a Tobaconists on the 1911 Census.

The common names make this a very frustrating search!

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        don't they have to be 'read' in both parties parishes?

do you have a copy of his death cert? and if so what date of birth does it give.
        Julie, - Dates of Birth weren't given in 1937.
        Holly.
        WmJamesWilsonDeathCert.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          have you explored this any further? I don't know where to look for Bankruptcy notifications.
          Julie, - I did persue this one, because I also found 'First Letters of Administration', (first stage of Bankruptcy proceedings) for my Grandfather William James Wilson in the London Gazette in 1889. I don't think that it went further though, as he gave up his Drapery Business in The Mumbles, Swansea, and concentrated instead on his Painting and Decorating Business, 'Wilson and Co'.

The William James Wilson in Kingston-upon-Hull is a different man.

Holly.

Comment

nudging up

Comment

Working...
            X