Question on Indirect Immigration to the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harleynut97 View Post

I was able to find a Birth date on Elizabeth based off a death certificate I just received ..... Elizabeth Kern Endres Birthdate 5/16/1835
    If possible could you add the new information to post #1 ?
    Done for you - on your other thread George Endress family

Comment

@photofamily I do have sponsors names on the final papers. Off of memory I know a couple of them were related thru marriage... most of the other names I didn't recognize. The reason I asked about the proof is I have different documents that say different immigration dates. So I was thinking that if there were and kind of proof required say for example on final papers than there may be a better chance that what it said on that document would be more accurate of an immigration date. Thanks for the wiki links.

@Janet Thanks again for updating the first post with the new info

Comment

As there was no standardization of the process pre-1906, I don't know that anyone could definitively tell you - even within a state, the courts might not have exactly the same process. Here's Ancestry on the subject

I googled a little bit - didn't spot any better answer.
        I would say - have you looked at their naturalization/citizenship/arrival info on censuses? I find it's usually a bit variable - often times d/t the fact that the informant on the census wasn't the person in question. Or age. Or age on arrival to the US.

And more importantly - have you found their obits? contacted the library?

Comment

@photofamily I do have obits for George the father, Godfrey, and Elizabeth the mother. I have yet to find one for John S. The Godfrey obituary differs from all the other documents because it said he arrived in Faribault MN on June 18,1882. All other census and naturalization papers and the passport application say 1883.

I need to go back to that ship link that was given to me and go thru the 16 volumes again in search of Godfrey in the year 1882 (I only searched in 1883.) But I'm really think the Obit made a mistake on the year, because all other documents say 1883.

The one area I could use some advice on is searching for if they went into Canada. But I'm confused on what really to search on. John S we believe went from Hamburg to London and then we loose him completely. The only hint on Godfrey is what he stated on his passport application .. port of departure Hamburg (White Star Line) on or about June 1883. So curious as to what Canadian passenger lists data bases I should search if I wanted to rule out they may have come into Canada.

The hunt continues I still want to find out if Godfrey was a rum smuggler ... see post 11 https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...=1#post2600404

Comment

Working...
          X