No announcement yet.

Canada 1921 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That William son of Rebecca and Thomas Henry is the Harry registered Redruth 1887 mmn Broad

This is FMP Civil Service Evidence of Birth

William Blight b 02/02/1887 Cambourne Cornwall
    Notes Reg: Harry

Copy of a baptism certificate signed 17/05/03
    William Blight baptized 30/07/1887
    father Thomas Henry Blight Miner
    mother Rebecca
    abode Te? Road
    Parish of Cambourne

added note in margin Henry Blight (William)

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera, this could be him. The last resort would be his death cert. but have buckleys of getting this, Canadian authorities are not helpful.

Comment

You are a good researcher Vera, William 1887 is my grandfather, Thomas Henry and Rebecca Broad my great grandparents. William, wife Amy and my father William Owen emigrated to South Africa 1911/13. I dont understand the ref to Harry and Henry(William) on the baptism cert? Copy obtained 1903, must have been needed for job? When I got Williams death cert, died 1967, from South Africa, they had his name as Harry so I thought that I had the wrong copy,thanks to you I now know why but still does not make sense to me!

Comment

All of these are my family but not connected to Canadian Harry except for being Samuels "son".I have researched the above family for years all over the UK and South Africa, got a journal full of notes and a few photos. I keep going back to the journal to see what else I can follow up on, addicted to this!
          Toby.

Comment

Given me another puzzler now. Buckley's? Is that rhyming slang?

The Quebec record could have been more helpful re that Harry Butler's wife. Mrs Harry Butler!

No voters record after that 1953 so probably a death around that time.

Although Canada hot on privacy, is there an index like the UKs GRO index but with limitation of access. I have only ever looked at the Regional records for BMD.

I wondered where the family went to after 1911. Couldn't see them in the 1939.

I think the Civil Service Evidence of Birth records possibly relates to the introduction of Pensions In the UK or I wonder passports now that you say they went to South Africa. Williams BC would not have corresponded to who he was known as.
            Janet in Yorkshire may know about this.

Wonder why they decided to call Harry, William although not unusual for that to happen.

Vera

Comment

Buckleys means "no hope".There must be Canadian Dept where you can order a death cert. but I reckon that you would have to be a direct descendent to get it, all kinds of proof needed.
              After 1911, you are talking about Samuel and Sarah? Sarah died 1914 age 47 of Locomotor Ataxia, dreadful disease. Samuel died 1917, on his death cert. the informant was "E. Blight, wife", here is one for you! I could not find a marriage of Samuel Blight to an E.? I searched from about 1910 to 1917, both died in Liverpool area. My brother seems to think that William was called Harry in South Africa, have no idea why, perhaps he did not like being called William, my father was William Owen, always called himself Owen, did not like William.
              Toby

Comment

may have read this wrong but could this be the second marriage of Samuel? Bessie is short for Elizabeth.

Samuel Blight
                Marriage quarter 3
                Marriage year 1916
                Bessie Francis
                District Exeter
                County Devon
                Country England
                Volume 5B
                Page 169

Comment

Anything is possible with Family History! Exeter is a long way from Liverpool but after Sarah died in 1914, Samuel was only 52 and a journeyman carpenter so he could have gone to Devon, I will have to try and link him to Devon somehow. On the other hand he may not have married E. she just said that on his death certificate? Thanks for the info!
                  Toby.

Comment

Curious! My attention was caught due to the reference to Camborne, Cornwall because I am living there temporarily. The curious bit is that there is no reference to this baptism on the Cornwall OPC site, although 3 other children of Thomas Henry and Rebecca Jane are listed. Is there any clue given to the name of the church? Cornwall OPC site is excellent and normally has full coverage.

( It is TEHIDY road, or row, incidentally. Still there today).

OC

Comment

Nice to hear from good old Camborne, some years ago I spent many days there walking all over the town tracing the Blight family. I had a quick look at the OPC site which I had not seen before so I must have a look.Of the 7 children of Thomas/Rebecca, the first 3 born in Burnley, one in Dalton in Furness and the last 3 in Camborne. Lizzie, born Burnley married a rope manufacturer, John Davey, in Camborne, they lived in a posh house(in those days) called Gaywood, 137 Trelowarren Rd, I see now it houses people with mental problems. Lizzie lived to be 100 and she and John are buried in the Parish Church, the "poorer" members of the family lived in Tehidy Rd and are buried in the Camborne cemetery. My dad was born in Centenary Street.
                      Cheers.
                      Toby.

Comment

Toby

Let me know if you need any further local research, I'll be very happy to do it.

OC

Comment

Hello Vera, thks again for this info. I would have never found it myself. The Baptism answers a question re my grandfather that I have tried to resolve over the past 20 years, now I have the answer
                          Cheers.
                          Toby

Comment

Thanks OC, will let you know.
                            Toby.
                            P.S. The pasties in Camborne are good, used to go to the Parish Church to eat them, no parks in Camborne!

Comment

Lol Toby, you are right about no parks in Camborne. A current local scandal is that the County Council has hundreds of thousands of pounds held " in reserve" for the creation of parks and open spaces taken from property developers but never used.

OC

Comment

Toby as OC pointed out no record of Williams baptism on Cornwall Online Parish Clerk site. I checked the baptism certificate again and note that the copy did not record a year of baptism. So not 1887 as I typed.

Couldn't see any marriage for Samuel and an E. Was he the informant for Sarah's death?. I wonder if they were together at the time of her death as I note the Find a Grave record for Sarah does not record a dob.

Vera
                                Last edited by vera2013; 12-03-17, 11:46.

Comment

I did not get Sarahs death cert. because she died in the Workhouse Infirmary 1914 so I reckon that a doctor or a Workhouse Offical would have been the informant. To confuse matters more her home address in 1914 was different to Samuels, though both addresses were quite close to each other. In 1917 Samuel was buried in a public grave in the Allerton Cemetery, his address was different again and this is where he was living with "E Blight."
                                  I downloaded the 1903 copy of Williams baptism cert. from FMP it shows his date of birth 2/2/1887 and his baptism 30/7/1887.
                                  Toby.

Comment

Working...
                                  X