New version of Family Tree Maker - IMPORTANT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
    I registered in February and got the automated email response. I haven't heard any more.
    You can use this link to order at the discounted price.
    Elaine

Comment

For an extra £20 you can have it available for linking up to three computers.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

You only have to buy the family pack license if you are not the sole user.
        If you are the only user of FTM in the household, then you can install it on multiple devices without buying the family pack license. This has nothing to do with linking computers, it's just a user license.
        Elaine

Comment

is that right Elaine, I am going to email them then, as that is not the impression I got so I paid the £20

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            If you are the only user of FTM in the household, then you can install it on multiple devices without buying the family pack license. This has nothing to do with linking computers, it's just a user license.
            Thank you for the warning Elaine I was holding fire while we thought about it, so will go ahead without the license.

Comment

I have the latest mac version of FTM version 3.14 which I downloaded only a few weeks ago. This was a free update.
              Is this new 2017 version a free upgrade or is this a purchase only option I can't see anything that clearly explains that. Thank
              My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

If you haven't purchased a copy of the mac version of FTM 2014 or 2014.1 from MacKiev then you will need to pay for the 2017 version.
                Elaine

Comment

If you are a Facebook User then take a look at the Family Maker Users group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/FamilyTreeMakerUsers/

Jack Minsky, CEO of MacKiev, is on hand to answer any queries ... over and over again.
                  If you have a read through, particularly the pinned post and its links, you will probably find answers to most questions.

The complaint at the moment is that MacKiev haven't sent out the email to all those registered on their mailing list. There have been comments made that this will be done within the next couple of days.
                  Elaine

Comment

I think having the license is about linking to other machines too because at the moment the present linking option only works on one machine at a time so even if you have FTM on every machine that you have it will on link to the one you used when you linked to ancestry.

Margaret

Comment

I wonder if the license is something you have to keep renewing too, or whether it's a permanent thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        I wonder if the license is something you have to keep renewing too, or whether it's a permanent thing?
                        Usually it's a permanent thing until you buy another program. It's simply giving you the legal right to install the software on several devices rather than the standard right to have it only on 1 at a time - that's usually the case with all bought software.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, that's what I suspected. The only reason I am considering a license is because very occasionally I get hubby to sit at his computer and input something on the tree for me, so I would like both of our laptops to link to our Ancestry tree.
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-03-17, 09:39.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            I think having the license is about linking to other machines too because at the moment the present linking option only works on one machine at a time so even if you have FTM on every machine that you have it will on link to the one you used when you linked to ancestry.
                            The new FamilySync (which is part of the 2017 program - replacing the current TreeSync) gives you the ability for two or more computers in your home running Family Tree Maker, such as a desktop and a laptop, to sync with the same Ancestry Member tree.

I think you will find that the license is purely a User license. If you are the sole user of the program then you do not need to purchase the license. Once purchased it is permanent.
                            Elaine

Comment

The new FamilySync (which is part of the 2017 program - replacing the current TreeSync) gives you the ability for two or more computers in your home running Family Tree Maker, such as a desktop and a laptop, to sync with the same Ancestry Member tree.

I think you will find that the license is purely a User license. If you are the sole user of the program then you do not need to purchase the license. Once purchased it is permanent.
                              Actually I think the license is for a sole computer installation regardless of the number of users. The purchase option says Single Computer License. see attached Mackiev options.JPG

In Chrissie' scenario she should have a license for more than 1 computer then as her husband has his own computer. Although if she gets hubby to input to the online tree that will sync down to her FTM program the next time she opens it up.

This license would apply if you had a tower PC and a laptop.

Margaret
                              Last edited by margaretmarch; 24-03-17, 10:44.

Comment

Maybe we are not talking about the same thing! I was referring to the Family Pack license for which there is an extra charge of £20.

The basic price of 29.95 dollars/pounds/euros includes a single user license.

In Chrissie's case, if both she and her husband install FTM on different computers then they should purchase the Family Pack license.

In my case, where I will install the program on my desktop and laptop and I am the only user, then the single user license, included in the basic purchase, is all I need. Should I wish I will be able to sync a tree on both machines to Ancestry as this is covered by the new FamilySync capabilities.

It's all very confusing!
                                Elaine

Comment

I'm still not sure what it means, the woman told me ,you have to have it if the pcs in your home run on different systems like say Windows or Macs

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                    I'm still not sure what it means, the woman told me ,you have to have it if the pcs in your home run on different systems like say Windows or Macs
                                    Confirmed via the Facebook Users group and Live Chat.
                                    One purchase of the program will include download links for WindowsOS and Mac. You can use both of these to install on different computers and providing you are the sole user then there is no need to buy the additional license.

..and just confirmed by Jack Minsky, CEO of MacKiev.
                                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 24-03-17, 12:09.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine you appear to be the top guru on this.

Pricing and Availability for FTM 2017

Family Tree Maker 2017 for Mac and Windows is available to pre-order today. If you purchased a Software MacKiev edition (FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1, both introduced on March 1, 2016) and have signed up for the FTM mailing list, you will receive a free downloadable upgrade by email. If you have NOT purchased a Software MacKiev edition or if you received FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1 as a free update, you can pre-order the upgrade from now until FTM 2017 is released for $29.95, and after release for $39.95. The price for those new to Family Tree Maker will be $79.95. All prices are for downloads. DVD and USB copies will be available for an additional cost. FTM 2017 is for both Mac and Windows, and the installer includes a choice of US, Canadian, Australian or UK editions.

I still think reading this though that I will get a free upgrade? But it's not clear
                                      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
                                        I still think reading this though that I will get a free upgrade? But it's not clear
                                        Paul, you said earlier
                                        I have the latest mac version of FTM version 3.14 which I downloaded only a few weeks ago. This was a free update.
                                        Was your original FTM Mac version (before you did the free update) an Ancestry version or was it purchased from MacKiev.
                                        The key word here is purchased !!

If you have not purchased a copy of the program from MacKiev then you will need to pay for the upgrade to FTM 2017.

If you have any doubts, go on to Live Chat. They are fairly quick in responding and should be able to give you a definitive answer as to which version you have and what you need to do.
                                        If you could not find your answer in our Support Center, and your question is urgent, we'd be happy to have a support agent assist you in a Live Chat (http://www.mackiev.com/techsupport/ftm/livechat.h
                                        Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine should get my money back then

Comment

Working...
                                          X