How to start search in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by siplax View Post

How to get a Swedish genealogy hobbyist to join this conversation? By starting a new thread? A Swede could perhaps give clues how to dig into archives there.
    Seppo
    Well, I think many special interest genealogy research groups may be found on Facebook.

Here are info pages
    Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center is a national and international library, archives, and genealogy center for the study of Swedish-American history and relations.

A brief history of Swedish immigration to North America, written by Swenson Center director Dr. Dag Blanck. 

The Swedes who immigrated to the US went to many states/areas. Detailed records of deaths were only coming to full regulation in the early 1900s. New York City & Boston? - yes, you'd probably find a good DC. Chicago? well, probably. Further west? well, could be, but the records may not be online.

Oftentimes, newspaper obituaries may provide the best record, or possibly a gravestone.

It would be nice to have all known details restated.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 01-01-22, 02:37.

Comment

• I have been silent with this case for almost 5 years. I had some nasty enough orthopedic problems but now feel like I can continue this search of Jan-Petter Andersson's mystery migration to the the US.

My focus will be now in finding the document that declares JP's death in the US. This document has been sent by someone from the States to Sweden. Perhaps 1903-1904. Who or what is this "someone".

How to get a Swedish genealogy hobbyist to join this conversation? By starting a new thread? A Swede could perhaps give me clues how to dig into archives there.

Will be interesting to see if this conversation wakes up after 5 years of deep freeze.

Br,
      Seppo

Comment

• Did you mean to copy and paste your post #96 from 30.12.2021 at #102 today or something else?
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-01-22, 13:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Did you mean to copy and paste your post #96 from 30.12.2021 at #102 today or something else?
          When I wrote #96 I got the impression that my post did not go anywhere. Then I rewrote it and it is now #102. So, #102 is my reopening message for this whole case.

I have acquired right to use MyHeritage. I can already see that there is more detailed data about Lina Anderson. The young lady to who Jan-Petter was to travel after arriving to the States. Jan-Petter's wife was an aunt to Lina. Lina had children in the US. If any of those are still alive some of them might have heard and could tell something about "uncle Jan-Peter" from his/her childhood.

I will now spend some time with the findings in MyHeritage. I try to dig in to Lina's children/grandchildren.

The second path for me is to search for the death "certificate". From Sweden where he was born and from Finland where he established his family. He was registered in Finland to a Lutherian perish in Bjorneborg (Pori). The "certificate" is obviously a letter from the States or a newspaper clip from the States.

My driver in the search of Jan-Petter in the US is to get reasonable understanding about how did he live, with who did he live and where did he live and died. Now his descendants in Finland still wonder why did he leave his family without notice and immigrated in the US. Can a man disappear just like that.

Remark. I will be offline this forum for about 2 days.

Comment

• Picture of Jan-Petter Andersson. 1897. Colored by MyHeritage photo tool.

See attachment.
            Attached Files

Comment

• You were asking for someone Swedish to help, as far as I am aware we do not have any Swedish members.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                You were asking for someone Swedish to help, as far as I am aware we do not have any Swedish members.
                Hi Jill,

No Swedish members is not a show stopper for me. I have found a MyHeritage family tree owner who has Lina Anderson (named host for Jan-Petter in the US) and her 2 children named there. I will approach this family tree owner to check what she has.

/seppo

Comment

When I wrote #96 I got the impression that my post did not go anywhere. Then I rewrote it and it is now #102. So, #102 is my reopening message for this whole case.

I have acquired right to use MyHeritage. I can already see that there is more detailed data about Lina Anderson. The young lady to who Jan-Petter was to travel after arriving to the States. Jan-Petter's wife was an aunt to Lina. Lina had children in the US. If any of those are still alive some of them might have heard and could tell something about "uncle Jan-Peter" from his/her childhood.

I will now spend some time with the findings in MyHeritage. I try to dig in to Lina's children/grandchildren.

The second path for me is to search for the death "certificate". From Sweden where he was born and from Finland where he established his family. He was registered in Finland to a Lutherian perish in Bjorneborg (Pori). The "certificate" is obviously a letter from the States or a newspaper clip from the States.

My driver in the search of Jan-Petter in the US is to get reasonable understanding about how did he live, with who did he live and where did he live and died. Now his descendants in Finland still wonder why did he leave his family without notice and immigrated in the US. Can a man disappear just like that.

Remark. I will be offline this forum for about 2 days.
                  Did you read the posts between 96 and 102? I am not sure why you reposted your question but didn't acknowledge the replies that were there.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• This thread got a bit messy. My fault. I opened the discussion with #102 without noticing that my #96 went through to this forum's system after all. And there were already some comments to #96 when I placed #102.
                    ---------------------
                    I am solely working on only one path now. I want to find out if there are any living relatives of Lina Ådjers in the USA.

Lina Ådjers had 2 daughters. Both born in the USA. One of these daughters may have descendants in the US still today. The other daughter's family branch does not exist anymore.

Facts:

Elina Sofia Ådjers (Lina Andersson in USA)
                    11.9.1877 (Lappfjard, Finland) - 6.4.1936 (Lappfjard, Finland)
                    - was married to Johan Edvard Fred Andersson, 05.09.1898 in the US. Moved back to Finland (when?).
                    Lina was marked as the host contact for Jan-Petter Andersson (JPA) , my ultimate search target.

Johan Edward Fred Andersson, Lina's husband. 31.7.1845 (Tolby, Korsholm) - ???
                    (not same blood to JPA).

Elina and Johan Edward Fred Andersson had these 2 daughters. Both born in the US:

*) Jennie Viola Fred (Johan Edvardsdotter, later Ådjers).
                    5.6.1902 (Clinton, USA) - 25.3.1988 (Närpes, Finland)
                    - Jennie married Karl Emil Södergrann in Finland. They got a daughter Doris Sofia 30.10.1928 (Närpes) . Doris Sofia died 2015 (Närpes) without any children.

*) Edith Sofia Fred (Johan Edvardsdotter)
                    27.11.1898 (USA) - 1980 (USA).

Now the question is: did Edith Sofia Fred have a family in the US? How to get hold on that information?

If yes, I would like to reach her descendants. They might still have eg some old photos and stories from Edith's time. Might clarify the disappearance of JPA

I can not really confirm the location where Elina's family liveded in the US. The only location mentioned is Clinton Massachusetts; JPA/Ellis Island document and Lina's daughter Viola's birth place.

/seppo

Comment

• Re-brief. Lina (Elina) Andersson was named as the receiving host person for Jan-Petter Andersson (JPA) when JPA was registered for immigration 1901. Her descendants may know something about JPA's destiny in the States.

Pictures:

- Lina Andersson
                      - Manifest of the alien immigrants. JPA's name on the 3rd row from the bottom.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by siplax; 13-01-22, 14:45.

Comment

• There is a birth in Clinton, Massachusetts on 22 Nov 1898 of
                        Edith S. I. Anderson
                        daughter of
                        Edward and Lena Hendrickson

Please note, it is transcribed on FamilySearch as Edward Anderson and Lena Hendrickson.

Parents, natives of Sweden.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

The link leads you to the transcription of the record, click on the image on the right to see the actual record. The entry of interest is in the left column, not far from the top of the page.

This is such a near match to the information you have given, that I would definitely keep an open mind about it, even tho it does not fully match.
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-01-22, 01:42.

Comment

• Likely Jennie's birth registration, again, with some inaccuracies
                          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

It records her middle initial as 'W', born June 4, Parents Edward and Lena Anderson. Registrar should have recorded Lena's maiden surname, but apparently just copied the husband's surname

Comment

• Another (good?) guess - this is Edward's WWI Draft Reg card
                            Edward Anderson
                            White
                            7 Feb 1874
                            1917-1918
                            9 Franklin
                            Leominster, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
                            Medium
                            Tall
                            Light Brown
                            Blue
                            Lena Anderson

Another transcription problem - the town he lives in is Clinton not Leominster.

Also, he reports his occupation as RR Trackman, working for the Boston and Maine Railroad. On the birth registrations, his occupation was recorded as Operative. I thought that was an odd occupation, but I could see that a Trackman might also be called an Operative.

Comment

• You said
                              Johan Edward Fred Andersson, Lina's husband. 31.7.1845 (Tolby, Korsholm)

Not sure where you got that DOB, but that would make him 22 years older than Lina. How sure are you of that date? Obviously, that doesn't match the date on the draft reg.

Comment

• So, work with me.
                                In the WWI Draft Reg (which would have been done in 1917), he said he lived on 9 Franklin Street.

If you follow the City Directories, starting in 1914, Edward Anderson lives at 9 Franklin Street, but he's a Mill Employee.
                                https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui...=successSource

By 1917, he's at the same address, but working for the Railroad

In the 1911 City directory, he's Boarding (bds) at 80 Clark st, working for L Mills like he was in the 1914 directory.

That matches with this 1910 census record - Edward Anderson, Married [wife not at boarding house], born in Finland/Sweden, Weaver at the cotton mill. living at 80 Clark st. Birth year would calculate from age to 1878 - not the DOB given in the Draft Reg, but given that he was in a boarding house, and who knows gave the resident's info, I think it is he.

That would mean that he was an "Operative" at the mill.

So, my question to you - do you think these are your peeps? I do, and I will look more if you do. They shouldn't be this elusive in the censuses!!
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-01-22, 15:47.

Comment

• 9 Franklin Street in the 1920 - they're not there
                                  https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...cklabel=Return

Here's the family in 1900, badly written by the enumerator, and then mistranscribed!

note that the address is on Nashua street - that matches a directory entry for Edward Anderson, Mill worker, on Nashua street for 1900 directory.
                                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-01-22, 17:14.

Comment

Name: Jan Petter Andersson
                                    Date of birth: 30.4.1843, Sweden
                                    Died: 1903 in the US. This information we got from Sweden where he was born. No official documents about death exist. No date no place. Just the year. His parish must have got the information from eg. someone's letter from the US. So, the death year is not official. Not to me at least.
                                    Moved to Finland: 27.10.1882
                                    Married: 7.6.1885 (Marja Greta Mattfolk from Lappfjärd Finland. My grandgrandmother.)
                                    Children: 4 daughters (1885-1891). My grand mother was one of them: Dagmar Teresia Andersson 28.1.1890.
                                    Immigration to the US:
                                    Ship: RMS Celtic
                                    Departure: Liverpool, 13.12.1901
                                    Arrival to N.Y. : 31.12.1901

Below a link to Liberty Ellis Foundation record "List or Manifest of Alien Immigrants" by White Star Lane. That is the last written sign of my greatgrandfather.

Can you share who Jan's parents were? Also, that link isn't working for me (but not a worry - I don't think it would help me)

Comment

• Likely marriage for Edward & Lena
                                      Johan Edward Anderson
                                      Male
                                      Marriage
                                      5 Mar 1898
                                      Worecester, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
                                      First Lutheran Church (Trinity)
                                      Elina Sofia Ådjers
                                      https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...pId=30790763Or not. Ancestry is suggesting that this JE Anderson is tied to a JE Anderson who died in 1915, which would negate the WWI draft reg
                                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 29-01-22, 19:36. Reason: oops, corrected the record i selected

Comment

• Actually, the original record transcription I attached was just different sources of the same record - which leads to the concern that a 1915 grave site Ancestry suggests may indeed be for this John Edward Anderson, and would negate the connection to the WWI Draft Reg.

gotta go.

Comment

• Hi Photo Family. You have done a lot of research over JPA (Jan-Petter Andersson). Thanks for that! I will comment your posts in arbitrary order in separate posts.

In #117 you asked about JPA's parents. There is a separate comprehensive study about JPA's background. Done in a very pro manner. Based on Swedish official records.

JPA's father:
                                          Anders Olsson Fall, Kohlare (eng. collier) b. 8.5.1807 Långmyra, Grangärde, Sweden, d. 20.8.1865 Kohlarsvet, Stora Tuna, Sweden.

JPA's mother:
                                          Lisa Persdotter, b. 14.5.1811 Långmyra, Grangärde, Sverige (Sweden) , d. 12.8.1865 Kohlarsvet, Stora Tuna, Sverige.

The I had these children: (s = born)

* ​​​​​​Carl, s. 26.12.1837 Grangärde, Sverige.
                                          * Anders Fall, s. 6.2.1840 Grangärde, Sverige
                                          * Jan Petter, s. 30.4.1843 Grangärde, Sverige.
                                          * Eric (Jönses, Fall), s. 29.9.1846 Grangärde, Sverige.
                                          * Johan (Jönses), s. 18.3.1849 Grangärde, Sverige.
                                          * Per Olof, s. 1.9.1855 Grangärde, Sverige, k. 7.9.1855 Grangärde, Sverige.

JPA was well documented until he moved to Finland 1874. There is a gap from the arrival until 1882 when he was registered in Björneborg (Pori) perish. 1885 he married my great grandmother (Pori). They got 5 daughters. One of them was my grandmother. In December 1901 JPA is registered as an immigrant to the US. Thereafter he disappears from all records. There is a marking in church books in Finland that JPA has died 1903 in the US. But nothing more, no place, no actual date, where did that info came from?

PhotoFamily. I will come back to your other posts.

Comment

Working...
                                          X