How to start search in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
    See my post #56 - there is a direct link to the site to buy the cert. with the details I added

However, I agree with your reservations about this record and also because the Chicago death was in 1902 not 1903. I think it would be better to wait to find out more about JP's death from your Swedish contacts and perhaps further research.
    As I understand it the year of death has been reported 3rd hand so could be inaccurate. It seemed to be too much of a coincidence to find someone of virtually the same name dying in USA around the right time.

But you are right that if there are further avenues to check before buying the certificate then those must be explored first.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      It seemed to be too much of a coincidence to find someone of virtually the same name dying in USA around the right time.
      But you are right that if there are further avenues to check before buying the certificate then those must be explored first.
      Margaret
      "During the Swedish emigration to the United States in the 19th and early 20th centuries, about 1.3 million Swedes left Sweden for the United States."

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedis..._United_States

I have Swedish step-great-grandmother, -aunts & -uncles that lived in Chicago. The changes to their surname wasn't even the same among them - they were children of Carl, and some used Carlson and some used Carson. IMO, a surname change from Andersson to Anderson is something to keep an eye on, but not to fret about.

On the other hand, the lack of specifics, and the number of Andersons in the area, reduces the likelihood that this is your man.

Comment

See my post #56 - there is a direct link to the site to buy the cert. with the details I added

However, I agree with your reservations about this record and also because the Chicago death was in 1902 not 1903. I think it would be better to wait to find out more about JP's death from your Swedish contacts and perhaps further research.
        When I use the direct link on post #56 I get to a place where I can make a search. I used name Anderson and year of death was 1902. I got 3 pages of Andersons. But no one was this JP whose death certificate I would like to buy. Even if it is very unlikely that this JP is our man, I would like to buy the death certificate as an exercise of how it is done. All advise to buy JP's death certificate is well come.

Comment

NB the name is ANDERSEN. Yoy will then see J P for 1902
          Last edited by Bertie; 14-02-17, 17:18.

Comment

NB the name is ANDERSEN. Yoy will then see J P for 1902
            Oh, interesting, since familysearch transcribed it two different times as Anderson.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Oh, interesting, since familysearch transcribed it two different times as Anderson.
              Yep. We'll have to wait to know how clearly it's written and whether transcribed accurately but it's certainly the same record

Comment

I am back at home from travelling and Jan Petter (JP) Andersson hunt continues. Short debrief. According to documentation JP went to Lina Anderson in Clinton. JP's wife back in Finland was Lina's aunt. Lina was originally Elina Adjers and became Lina Anderson after marriage with Edward Anderson.

Have a look at this news: http://www.gazettextra.com/20160313/...-janesville-wi . It says: Lina Anderson died in her sleep at Alden Meadow Park in Clinton, on Feb. 16, 2016.

I have asked Alden Meadow Park (care home for seniors) to give me a pointer to a family member of this late Lina Anderson. If I am lucky such a person might confirm if this Lina is related to our Lina Anderson (Adjers). If so, the existing family members might have stories/photos of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by siplax View Post
                  I am back at home from travelling and Jan Petter (JP) Andersson hunt continues. Short debrief. According to documentation JP went to Lina Anderson in Clinton. JP's wife back in Finland was Lina's aunt. Lina was originally Elina Adjers and became Lina Anderson after marriage with Edward Anderson.

Have a look at this news: http://www.gazettextra.com/20160313/...-janesville-wi . It says: Lina Anderson died in her sleep at Alden Meadow Park in Clinton, on Feb. 16, 2016.

I have asked Alden Meadow Park (care home for seniors) to give me a pointer to a family member of this late Lina Anderson. If I am lucky such a person might confirm if this Lina is related to our Lina Anderson (Adjers). If so, the existing family members might have stories/photos of interest.

That's a good lead and as you say the family may be able to help with confirming or otherwise the connection to JP.

Margaret

Comment

It's worth a try but Clinton WI is a very long way from Clinton MA

Comment

It's worth a try but Clinton WI is a very long way from Clinton MA
                      I am obviously mixed up with places called "Clinton". I can not postpone anymore building a map of all the relations and places of these people that are related to Jan Petter in the US.

Comment

My knowledge of Scandinavian records, languages etc. is nil but I am keeping up with this thread because it's fascinating. I hope this one gets solved eventually. I wonder why on earth the keepers of the records have been so reluctant to divulge any details about JP? Are privacy laws there so strict that time passed is not an issue for them?
                        Keep up the good work folks

Comment

Originally posted by siplax View Post
                          I am obviously mixed up with places called "Clinton". I can not postpone anymore building a map of all the relations and places of these people that are related to Jan Petter in the US.
                          It is worth remembering that the same placenames can occur in many states - I think (if you are a fan of The Simpsons) that one of the reasons the name Springfield was chosen was that virtually every State has a place named Springfield!

To recap, we are currently focussed on:

1) Clinton in Worcester County Massachusetts - where Lina lived - and with possible connections to
                          2) Cook County Illinois where there is the death of a JP ANDERSEN (did you see my post #84 regarding the JP ANDERSEN death that you wanted to buy? Just checking in case you missed it) and with more to find out about
                          3) the possible emigration location of Lina's brother (with whom it is possible that JP also stayed).

Also we very much hope you can get more information about JP's death from your Sweden contacts
                          Last edited by Bertie; 23-02-17, 14:16.

Comment

Bertie -
                            Thanks for the synopsis, but would you extend it? I'm not sure of the known facts/people, possible connections, and the places those people were known or were speculated to have been??

So, the link to the Lina Anderson obit in Clinton WI - there wasn't an age mentioned for her, so we really don't know that she's the one we need to seek?

Anderson (and variants) is a very common surname in the US - and Lina/Lena would be pretty common, too.

Comment

I brought home a nasty back problem from Switzerland. Too painful now to sit down. Walking is OK and so is bed. I must continue this silence in my posts for a while as my present productive phase requires desk work. It is a no go for time being. See you soon, I hope. /Seppo

Comment

Sorry to hear about your back. Hope you recover quickly and come back soon!

Comment

I have been silent with this case for almost 5 years. I had some nasty enough orthopedic problems but now feel like I can continue this search of Jan-Petter Andersson's mystery migration to the the US.

My focus will be now in finding the document that declares JP's death in the US. This document has been sent by someone from the States to Sweden. Perhaps 1903-1904. Who or what is this "someone".

How to get a Swedish genealogy hobbyist to join this conversation? By starting a new thread? A Swede could perhaps give clues how to dig into archives there.

Will be interesting to see if this conversation wakes up after 5 years of deep freeze.

Br,
                                  Seppo

Comment

Hello Seppo, welcome back.
                                    Sorry I know absolutely nothing about Scandinavian research but I have found 13 family trees for him on ancestry. Most of them I think belong to one person who has also got more than one membership name.
                                    His death is given as 18 Jul 1903 Dalen, Bottineau, North Dakota, USA and sorry to say, the sources are thin on the ground, most trees have none at all for this fact. Even the source in the trees that I think belong to one person isn’t a source at all. I clicked on the source link and it says “unsourced fact” !!
                                    There is one tree on the list which says the source for the death is “Av Ingvar Dahl, Internet” but I don’t know what that means and there are no more details given.
                                    None of the trees mention anything about him travelling anywhere at all.
                                    Could this mystery document simply be a newspaper announcement of his death placed in a USA newspaper by his family to let family in Sweden and Finland know of his passing? Death notices of non native people abroad were frequently trawled by journalistic agencies and then picked up and reprinted in papers in their home country.

Here is the link to the ancestry trees. I hope you can view them and contact the tree owners who might be able to help you further.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/ca...E&name_x=1_psx
                                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-12-21, 22:30.

Comment

Sadly it seems that death records for Bottineau county were not kept as early as the year you need but records of wills began in 1899. You might be lucky in finding that Jan-Pettir had a will.
                                      Also, if he was naturalised, records of that began in 1884.
                                      This info comes from familysearch.org

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...kota_Genealogy
                                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 30-12-21, 22:41.

Comment

Have you tried USA censuses for the years before his death?

Comment

• Having quickly read back I think there was still a question over the age of the man who died in Chicago, Cook County in 1902? Apologies if its been added and I've missed it, but Ancestry now has a record saying he was 59, ie born c1843.

Comment

Working...
                                          X