How to start search in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by siplax View Post

How to get a Swedish genealogy hobbyist to join this conversation? By starting a new thread? A Swede could perhaps give clues how to dig into archives there.
    Seppo
    Well, I think many special interest genealogy research groups may be found on Facebook.

Here are info pages
    https://www.swensoncenter.org/
    https://www.augustana.edu/swenson/academic/history

The Swedes who immigrated to the US went to many states/areas. Detailed records of deaths were only coming to full regulation in the early 1900s. New York City & Boston? - yes, you'd probably find a good DC. Chicago? well, probably. Further west? well, could be, but the records may not be online.

Oftentimes, newspaper obituaries may provide the best record, or possibly a gravestone.

It would be nice to have all known details restated.
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 01-01-22, 02:37.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Families
    London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project

Comment

• I have been silent with this case for almost 5 years. I had some nasty enough orthopedic problems but now feel like I can continue this search of Jan-Petter Andersson's mystery migration to the the US.

My focus will be now in finding the document that declares JP's death in the US. This document has been sent by someone from the States to Sweden. Perhaps 1903-1904. Who or what is this "someone".

How to get a Swedish genealogy hobbyist to join this conversation? By starting a new thread? A Swede could perhaps give me clues how to dig into archives there.

Will be interesting to see if this conversation wakes up after 5 years of deep freeze.

Br,
      Seppo

Comment

• Did you mean to copy and paste your post #96 from 30.12.2021 at #102 today or something else?
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-01-22, 13:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Did you mean to copy and paste your post #96 from 30.12.2021 at #102 today or something else?
          When I wrote #96 I got the impression that my post did not go anywhere. Then I rewrote it and it is now #102. So, #102 is my reopening message for this whole case.

I have acquired right to use MyHeritage. I can already see that there is more detailed data about Lina Anderson. The young lady to who Jan-Petter was to travel after arriving to the States. Jan-Petter's wife was an aunt to Lina. Lina had children in the US. If any of those are still alive some of them might have heard and could tell something about "uncle Jan-Peter" from his/her childhood.

I will now spend some time with the findings in MyHeritage. I try to dig in to Lina's children/grandchildren.

The second path for me is to search for the death "certificate". From Sweden where he was born and from Finland where he established his family. He was registered in Finland to a Lutherian perish in Bjorneborg (Pori). The "certificate" is obviously a letter from the States or a newspaper clip from the States.

My driver in the search of Jan-Petter in the US is to get reasonable understanding about how did he live, with who did he live and where did he live and died. Now his descendants in Finland still wonder why did he leave his family without notice and immigrated in the US. Can a man disappear just like that.

Remark. I will be offline this forum for about 2 days.

Comment

• Picture of Jan-Petter Andersson. 1897. Colored by MyHeritage photo tool.

See attachment.
            Attached Files

Comment

• You were asking for someone Swedish to help, as far as I am aware we do not have any Swedish members.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                You were asking for someone Swedish to help, as far as I am aware we do not have any Swedish members.
                Hi Jill,

No Swedish members is not a show stopper for me. I have found a MyHeritage family tree owner who has Lina Anderson (named host for Jan-Petter in the US) and her 2 children named there. I will approach this family tree owner to check what she has.

/seppo

Comment

• Originally posted by siplax View Post

When I wrote #96 I got the impression that my post did not go anywhere. Then I rewrote it and it is now #102. So, #102 is my reopening message for this whole case.

I have acquired right to use MyHeritage. I can already see that there is more detailed data about Lina Anderson. The young lady to who Jan-Petter was to travel after arriving to the States. Jan-Petter's wife was an aunt to Lina. Lina had children in the US. If any of those are still alive some of them might have heard and could tell something about "uncle Jan-Peter" from his/her childhood.

I will now spend some time with the findings in MyHeritage. I try to dig in to Lina's children/grandchildren.

The second path for me is to search for the death "certificate". From Sweden where he was born and from Finland where he established his family. He was registered in Finland to a Lutherian perish in Bjorneborg (Pori). The "certificate" is obviously a letter from the States or a newspaper clip from the States.

My driver in the search of Jan-Petter in the US is to get reasonable understanding about how did he live, with who did he live and where did he live and died. Now his descendants in Finland still wonder why did he leave his family without notice and immigrated in the US. Can a man disappear just like that.

Remark. I will be offline this forum for about 2 days.
                  Did you read the posts between 96 and 102? I am not sure why you reposted your question but didn't acknowledge the replies that were there.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• This thread got a bit messy. My fault. I opened the discussion with #102 without noticing that my #96 went through to this forum's system after all. And there were already some comments to #96 when I placed #102.
                    ---------------------
                    I am solely working on only one path now. I want to find out if there are any living relatives of Lina Ådjers in the USA.

Lina Ådjers had 2 daughters. Both born in the USA. One of these daughters may have descendants in the US still today. The other daughter's family branch does not exist anymore.

Facts:

Elina Sofia Ådjers (Lina Andersson in USA)
                    11.9.1877 (Lappfjard, Finland) - 6.4.1936 (Lappfjard, Finland)
                    - was married to Johan Edvard Fred Andersson, 05.09.1898 in the US. Moved back to Finland (when?).
                    Lina was marked as the host contact for Jan-Petter Andersson (JPA) , my ultimate search target.

Johan Edward Fred Andersson, Lina's husband. 31.7.1845 (Tolby, Korsholm) - ???
                    (not same blood to JPA).

Elina and Johan Edward Fred Andersson had these 2 daughters. Both born in the US:

*) Jennie Viola Fred (Johan Edvardsdotter, later Ådjers).
                    5.6.1902 (Clinton, USA) - 25.3.1988 (Närpes, Finland)
                    - Jennie married Karl Emil Södergrann in Finland. They got a daughter Doris Sofia 30.10.1928 (Närpes) . Doris Sofia died 2015 (Närpes) without any children.

*) Edith Sofia Fred (Johan Edvardsdotter)
                    27.11.1898 (USA) - 1980 (USA).

Now the question is: did Edith Sofia Fred have a family in the US? How to get hold on that information?

If yes, I would like to reach her descendants. They might still have eg some old photos and stories from Edith's time. Might clarify the disappearance of JPA

I can not really confirm the location where Elina's family liveded in the US. The only location mentioned is Clinton Massachusetts; JPA/Ellis Island document and Lina's daughter Viola's birth place.

/seppo

Comment

• Re-brief. Lina (Elina) Andersson was named as the receiving host person for Jan-Petter Andersson (JPA) when JPA was registered for immigration 1901. Her descendants may know something about JPA's destiny in the States.

Pictures:

- Lina Andersson
                      - Manifest of the alien immigrants. JPA's name on the 3rd row from the bottom.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by siplax; 13-01-22, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X