How to start search in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ref. your posts #56-59:

I found the place for the birth certificate by myself, too. With this my experiance I think it was well done :o. I will buy the birth certificate. It is very obvious that it is not our Jan Petter. But it must be checked and excluded if that is the case.
    /Seppo

Comment

Originally posted by siplax View Post
      Ref. your posts #56-59:

I found the place for the birth certificate by myself, too. With this my experiance I think it was well done :o. I will buy the birth certificate. It is very obvious that it is not our Jan Petter. But it must be checked and excluded if that is the case.
      /Seppo
      We are referring to a death certificate - is that what you mean?
      Margaret

Comment

Seppo - what do you know about Maja Greta's brother Karl Johan HENRIKSSON born 1863 who apparently went to the USA? Is it worth trying to find out more about him as it is poss Jan Petter stayed with him also?

Comment

Ref. your posts #56-59:
          I will buy the birth certificate. It is very obvious that it is not our Jan Petter. But it must be checked and excluded if that is the case.
          /Seppo
          If you have research monies to spare, then buy it. Otherwise, the transcription probably offers as much information as the DC
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

findagrave offers no more detail:
          SOURCE: Illinois Deaths and Stillbirths Name: J P Anderson Birth Date: abt 1843 Birth Place: Sweden Death Date: 5 Jul 1902 Death Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois Burial Date: 8 Jul 1902 Cemetery Name: Oakridge Death Age: 59 Occupation: Retired Race: White Gender: Male Residence: Chicago, Cook, Illinois FHL Film Number:...

Not finding him in 1900
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-02-17, 17:06.

Comment

Ref. your posts #56-59:

/Seppo
            My concern is that the DC might not contain enough information to enable you to rule this record out completely. Also wasn't the death 1903 not 1902? I also think we need to develop a reason for JP to move from Clinton MA to Chicago IL - 960 miles. Further, I think (if it's possible) you need to get more information about his circumstances / death from Bjorneborg - in relation to this why would they know about his death as JP had moved to Finland some many years before his death?

Comment

Seppo - there seems to be a Bjorneborg in Sweden and a Bjorneborg otherwise Pori in Finland. Which did Jan Petter come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
                Seppo - there seems to be a Bjorneborg in Sweden and a Bjorneborg otherwise Pori in Finland. Which did Jan Petter come from?
                Jan Petter is from Pori (Bjärneborg) in Finland. Was born in Sweden.

Ps. I am traveling (Switzerland) and my access to the forum is limitef.
                /Seppo

Comment

F. Y. I. There is a document in Suomen Höyrylaiva Osakeyhtiö's (Finland's Steamship Inc.) files stating that Jan Petter's first leg on the journey to Amerika was to UK onboard Arcturus (https://fi.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/S_Arcturus). It was also noticed that he paid the vouage in cash (app.180 Finnmarks). More details available if needed.

Comment

Yes. I mixed with the certificates. It is death certificate I am looking for. If it contains date of birth we know if this JP is our Jan Petter.

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    We are referring to a death certificate - is that what you mean?
                    Margaret

Comment

Yes. I mixed with the certificates. It is death certificate I am looking for. If it contains date of birth we know if this JP is our Jan Petter.
                      I am not sure the death certificate with have a date of birth on it. In the UK they do now but going back to 1900s they only gave age so it may be the same in US.

You may need to check with the place you are buying from before you commit to paying exactly what information you can expect to see.

Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-02-17, 19:49.

Comment

Information about Jan Petter's death year 1903 came from Sweden when we asked some Swedish people to help in our search. People or records in Finland (Björneborg) did not know anything about Jan Petters death. My theory is that Lina Anderson has written in some letter about the death to her relatives in Sweden. Main seach paths now: Björneborg parish records (what is really written there about our man) and the death certificate of the JP that is buried in Oakridge-Oak cemetery.

My concern is that the DC might not contain enough information to enable you to rule this record out completely. Also wasn't the death 1903 not 1902? I also think we need to develop a reason for JP to move from Clinton MA to Chicago IL - 960 miles. Further, I think (if it's possible) you need to get more information about his circumstances / death from Bjorneborg - in relation to this why would they know about his death as JP had moved to Finland some many years before his death?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                          I have one from 1908: there are blanks for the deceased's and the parents' birthplaces, the deceased's age (in years, months and days), place of death (address, which I don't think is transcribed on FS), pronouncing MD (but no informant), undertaker, and cemetery.
                          Chicago/Cook Co DC's are transcribed (almost fully) on familysearch (and Ancestry).
                          Cook Co DC's from 1902 did not have a space for DOB. Furthermore, FamilySearch would have transcribed it if there had been. Here's a later example, with transcribed DOB:
                          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Now, if the informant did give have the info, and the clerk filled out all the info, then you should get a detailed age (years, months, days). You can use a reverse calculator to get the calculated DOB.

And it should have the last address - might help locate him in the 1900. And perhaps it will give the length of time he was in Illinois.

Comment

And it should have the last address - might help locate him in the 1900. And perhaps it will give the length of time he was in Illinois.
                            Just to say, the JP we are looking for did not arrive in the USA until 1901.

Comment

Seppo - what do you know about Maja Greta's brother Karl Johan HENRIKSSON born 1863 who apparently went to the USA? Is it worth trying to find out more about him as it is poss Jan Petter stayed with him also?
                              Seppo - don't know whether you noticed this or have any information?

Comment

Just to say, the JP we are looking for did not arrive in the USA until 1901.
                                Then hopefully, the field for length of time in Illinois is there and filled out.

Comment

Seppo - don't know whether you noticed this or have any information?
                                  I have information about Maja Greta's brothers & sisters but that info is back at home in Helsinki. I am still travelling in CH and spending some quality time with my grand children who live here. I enjoy a lot here but getting anxious to get back to my files.

I will come back to this once I am back at home.

Comment

One thing that bothers me about this JP Anderson is that his name is written with 1 "S" letter. Jan Petter is AnderSSon with 2 "s" letters. And I have a problem. I would like to buy this person's death certificate but I have so far not been successful to surf to a place where I could say "buy" to the selected person's death certificate: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi page=gr&GRid=149896303&ref=acom). I thought that I knew how to do it but I have failed so far.

Comment

One thing that bothers me about this JP Anderson is that his name is written with 1 "S" letter. Jan Petter is AnderSSon with 2 "s" letters. And I have a problem. I would like to buy this person's death certificate but I have so far not been successful to surf to a place where I could say "buy" to the selected person's death certificate: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi page=gr&GRid=149896303&ref=acom). I thought that I knew how to do it but I have failed so far.
                                      The link above is corrupted. This works I hope:One thing that bothers me about this JP Anderson is that his name is written with 1 "S" letter. Jan Petter is AnderSSon with 2 "s" letters. And I have a problem. I would like to buy this person's death certificate but I have not been successful to surf to a place where I could say "buy" to the selected person: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi page=gr&GRid=149896303&ref=acom).

Comment

All cut and paste is a pain with my Android Pad. Sorry. Link to JP's cemetary record is correct in Margaret's post #11. How to buy the death record of this person?

Comment

See my post #56 - there is a direct link to the site to buy the cert. with the details I added

However, I agree with your reservations about this record and also because the Chicago death was in 1902 not 1903. I think it would be better to wait to find out more about JP's death from your Swedish contacts and perhaps further research.

Comment

Working...
                                          X