Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help wanted, researching Elizabeth "Bessie" Blount (later - Tailboys Fiennes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted, researching Elizabeth "Bessie" Blount (later - Tailboys Fiennes)

Hi, Our family name is Blount, and we have heard family rumours that we are relations with Elizabeth "Bessie" Blount, later she re-married a few times and became Elizabeth Tailboys-Fiennes, I don't know if the following would make the search easier, she was the only acknowledged mistress of King Henry VIII, who also bore a Male child (Illegitimate) who was also acknowledged, called Henry Fitzroy.

I have a disability and get very confused with all the information, so if somebody that doesn't get confused, could help that would be great, My Great Grandfather' name was Thomas E Blount (1915-2000), and possibly my 3rd Great Grandfather' name, but I'm not 100% sure on this, was Edward Blount.

She was born 1502, in Shropshire, and my 3rd Great Grandfather (if I have the right one) was a resident in Shropshire, I don't know if "Shropshire" is a coincidence, but as Bessie had titles attached to her name, I don't know if the Blount name would have stayed in and around Shropshire (I may have worded that wrong, but I know what I mean in my head)

Thanks in Advance

Marcus

Hello tank49,

Your starting point is to track known family into the days where records become more difficult to find. Start with what you know, that is, your Gr Grandfather and his Father.

I have found a family on the 1939 Register which may be them:

Thomas E Blount, born 22/12/1915 Single, A Labourer.

Edward Blount, born 19/07/1893, Married, Colliery Worker

Frances M Blount, born 10/06/1897, Married - I assume to Edward.

Irene M Blount, born 17/11/1914, Single (but later married name is Amos) a daughter?

Their address: 5 Greens Road, Meriden R.D., Warwickshire.

I hope this helps.

Angela

Comment

I think it will be virtually impossible to prove any connection because the connection will be before Bessie Blount as Blount was her maiden name. She was born in 1498 and no official chur h records were kept then although important families often had facts recorded about them in other sources.

You are also looking at a period when there were no fixed surnames for ordinary people. Quite often servants took the name of their employer if required to give a surname.

But as Angela says, the only way to find out is to do a properly researched tree and we can help with that.

OC

Comment

Hi OC,

Thankyou very much for the reply and the info you provided

Would you be able to help out with the properly researched tree?, as I'd love to find out more about my family history, as this is something that really interests me.

Marcus

Comment

Hi Angela,

Thankyou very much for the reply,

I have never found this 1939 register, I can 100% say that this is my Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandfather mentioned in your post, as this is exactly who I have got already in the family tree that I have started, I have one more going back further...potentially.........Edward Blount married to Annie Maria, but I don't know for sure that he was Edward T Blounts (born 1893) father.

Marcus

Comment

Edward and Frances married in 1914. She married as Maud. If you buy this marriage certificate it should tell you the names of both their fathers.

OC

Comment

On the 1939 register, Edward is married to Frances Maud, is this a possibilty

Marriage for Edward

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

First name(s) EDWARD
              Last name BLOUNT
              Birth year 1893
              Marriage year 1914
              Marriage day 1
              Marriage month Aug
              Place FLEUR-DE-LIS, ST DAVID
              Bride's first name(s) Maud
              Bride's last name Pearce
              Groom's first name(s) Edward
              Groom's last name Blount
              Bride's age 18
              Groom's age 21
              Bride's marital status Spinster
              Groom's marital status Bachelor
              Groom's occupation Collier
              Bride's parish Fleur de lis
              Groom's parish Fleur de lis
              Bride's father's first name(s) George Pearce
              Bride's father's occupation Carpenter
              Groom's father's first name(s) George
              Groom's father's last name Blount
              Groom's father's occupation Collier
              Witnesses Charles Blount,Annie Blount
              County Monmouthshire
              Country Wales
              Record set Gwent FHS Marriages - Blackwood

I have saved a copy of the marriage

BIRTH
              Irene M Blount
              First name(s) IRENE M
              Last name BLOUNT
              Birth year 1915
              Birth quarter 1
              Mother's last name PEARCE
              District NEWPORT (MONMOUTHSHIRE)
              County Monmouthshire
              Country Wales
              Volume 11A/668

BIRTH
              First name(s) THOMAS E
              Last name BLOUNT
              Birth year 1916
              Birth quarter 1
              Registration month -
              Mother's last name PEARCE
              District NEWPORT (MONMOUTHSHIRE)
              County Monmouthshire
              Country Wales
              Volume 11A/566
              Last edited by Elaine; 07-08-16, 21:37.
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Was Edward c 1893 born in Bewdley, Worcestershire?
                Last edited by Elaine; 07-08-16, 21:35.
                Elaine

Comment

Missed the post in between OC!
                  Last edited by Elaine; 07-08-16, 21:37.
                  Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, yes that is all correct, I'm trying to find family further back, and all I have is Edward Blount and Annie Maria Blount, who are possibly the Mother and father of Edward T Blount (Born 1893).

Comment

Originally posted by tankno9 View Post
                      Hi Elaine, yes that is all correct, I'm trying to find family further back, and all I have is Edward Blount and Annie Maria Blount, who are possibly the Mother and father of Edward T Blount (Born 1893).
                      Where did you get this information about the parents from - was it from a birth certificate?
                      If you are sure that the marriage in #7 above is the correct one, then really you should be working backwards from this 1914 marriage cert of Edward Blount and Florence Maud - it names Edward's father as GEORGE Blount, collier.
                      Have you looked in census for any possible George Blounts, collier, with a son named Edward born c 1893? Remember: 1) people did move about, so you may have to look in other areas and 2) not all snippets of information recorded on every document are "correct" - sometimes people didn't know the answer to a question and so best guessed.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

This looks the most likely candidate for Edward Blount in 1911. Born Bewdley, Worcestershire, living with his family in Monmouthshire. He is 17 and his father is George, a coal miner.

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I think the marriage for the parents MAY possibly have been mistranscribed. There is a likely marriage in Kidderminster (covers Bewdley) in Dec 1891, of a George Blunt (no o) marriage to Annie Shenton ref 6c 387.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Here's 1901, George was a blacksmith

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

George Blount Head M 30 Bewdley, Worcestershire
                            Annie Blount Wife F 31 Birmingham, Warwickshire
                            Thomas Blount Son M 9 Bewdley, Worcestershire
                            Beatrice Blount Daughter F 6 Bewdley, Worcestershire
                            Ellen Blount Daughter F 5 Bewdley, Worcestershire
                            George Blount Son M 3 Bewdley, Worcestershire
                            Selina Blount Daughter F 0 West Bromwich, Staffordshire

No Edward

but went back to the witnesses and wonder if this is Charles Blount...at Fleur De Lis which is the residence of Edward and Maud

Last edited by Elaine; 09-08-16, 21:50.
                            Elaine

Comment

I am guessing it is this birth reg

Edward T has a birth date of 5 Feb 1893, there's a birth for an Edward T 1893 in Shropshire
                              Last edited by Elaine; 09-08-16, 22:14.
                              Elaine

Comment

Just want to note this as it really needs some certificates, just speculating, do you think Edward is with grandparents?

it's the only Edward I can find that's a possibility and George on the 1911 census has a daughter Selina

found them so far 1871 with a son Charles

1881 BLUNT...son George right c 1870

1891 Blouet

George snr is a basket maker and then 1901 occ changes
                                Last edited by Elaine; 09-08-16, 22:39.
                                Elaine

Comment

Hi, sorry I have not responded, I have been away, I have been doing some more research and I found a tree with some of the blanks filled in, Edwards mother and father are George Blount and Annie Blount (Shenton), here's the link to the tree I have done so far :- http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/599...d=370023434028 , if anybody can help out further re Thomas Blunt/Blount in 1747 and further back, if possible that'd be great.

Marcus

Comment

Thankyou, I believe this is the one

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                      This looks the most likely candidate for Edward Blount in 1911. Born Bewdley, Worcestershire, living with his family in Monmouthshire. He is 17 and his father is George, a coal miner.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...&usePUBJs=true
                                      Thankyou, I believe this is the one.

Comment

Working...
                                      X