Family search Worldwide Indexing Event 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family search Worldwide Indexing Event 2016

Has anyone any previous experience of this. How onerous, how difficult, how much time etc? Seems like a good cause.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
    https://familysearch.org/worldsrecor...IE%202016-4855

Has anyone any previous experience of this. How onerous, how difficult, how much time etc? Seems like a good cause.
    I have indexed for FS in the past (tho not recently): you may do as much or as little as you would like (whether it is an "event" or just day-to-day). They label records as easy to expert, and you may choose from several index projects.

All records are independently double-keyed, with an independent arbitrator where the indexers do not produce identical results - so you don't have to worry that you could be the one that mixes up a record

Comment

Family search project

I expect Im in the wrong place (as usual) but is anyone doing the 3 day family search project?

"Join us (and over 72,000 other volunteers worldwide) as we literally "rewrite history"—July 15 to 17. Just type what you see on a historical record, and make the world’s information freely searchable for people to find their ancestors worldwide! "
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 04-07-16, 16:07.

Comment

I've just volunteered-

Comment

Heather, have merged your thread into one posted yesterday by webwiz - same topic.
          Elaine

Comment

I wondered how many would be doing it. I could never get involved in the long term projects like freereg but when its a fixed time, 3 days - seems easier somehow and hopefully may turn up a lot of stuff that helps us all.
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 04-07-16, 17:43.

Comment

It doesn't really matter how many people are indexing for the Project? You'll just be keying away at home!

When the 1940 census came out, FS was attempting to index it by some date in the fall. I think they finished two or more months early. I worked hard on that one, especially Illinois, where most of my peeps were.

Comment

No, I mean I wondered how many on here would be doing it, in case I needed some help In case anyone is interested FS are saying 72k people doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                  No, I mean I wondered how many on here would be doing it, in case I needed some help
                  Oops..
                  FS does provide expert help. I think I phoned them (twice!) but online too.

Comment

This thread reminded me I hadn't done any indexing for a while. I will be unable to take part on the 3 days but have uploaded several bundles of transcriptions over the past couple of days to make up for this.
                    I have had an email welcoming me back, which I thought was a nice touch and another asking me to be an arbitrator, but as I just want to continue to hop in and out, I will stick to general volunteering. There are a mix of ongoing UK projects at the moment. I am quite enjoying the newspaper BDM's. Once you have read the instructions on what and how to transcribe the information, they are easy to do as of course they are typed, so no copperplate to decipher.
                    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Many thanks people I dont want to find its really hard techi stuff but I will have a go Ive looked at the test pages and done those and of course they were easy but I know that not all records are going to be clear and so easy to read

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                        No, I mean I wondered how many on here would be doing it, in case I needed some help In case anyone is interested FS are saying 72k people doing it.
                        If you are on Facebook there's a fab helpful group called SBIE etc. Mix of LDS and non-LDS peeps. You don't have to wait for the Indexing Event to start or join SBIE.
                        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Whoops - Make that Share Batch Indexing ETC.
                          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Working...
                          X