Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darksecretz
    replied
    can't spot anything else for Florence, though she must be around somewhere!.. maybe there are some records on www.familysearch.org

they seem to cover Canada pretty well, good hunting!..

and you are welcome. :smilee:

Leave a comment:

• Vacumatic
    replied
    Perfect Julie, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    seems florence married:

Name: Florence Gertrude Field
    Birth Year: abt 1898
    Birth Place: England
    Marriage Date: 11 Sep 1922
    Marriage Place: York, Ontario, Canada
    Father: Frank Sheldon Field
    Mother: Lunn Eliza
    Spouse: Charles Ward

and a death:

Name: Florence Gertrude Field
    Birth Date: 20 Oct 1897
    Death Date: 10 Oct 1989
    Cemetery: Mount Pleasant Cemetery
    Burial or Cremation Place: Toronto, Toronto Municipality, Ontario, Canada
    Has Bio?: Y
    Spouse: Charles Ward

The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. .

I see that the bio that they have has the mistranscription of LUNN on it as LESNN, [you can edit find a grave details and correct them should you wish to]

Leave a comment:

• Vacumatic
    replied
    Thanks for the clarification Julie. His occupation was shown as a glass gather, the person who puts the iron rod into the furnace for the molten glass, I can imagine more brawn than brains were the order of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Vacumatic, he might have been able to sign his name, I guess it just depends on how they were asked!.. some said sign your name whilst I imagine that some might have said 'make your mark'.. which he duly could have done!

I have found Franks death too, seems he died in 1920 [not sure if you have an Ancestry sub but Florence registered her mothers death, so I am just about to have a look to see if she did the same for her father.

edit to add: Sarah registered his death, and it died of Cancer of the Rectum, [Exhaustion]

Franks parents were: William Field of West Brom and Eliza Mary Tonks also of West Brom. [as per death cert]

death:
    Name: Frank Sheldon Field
    Birth Date: abt 1871
    Birth Place: w Bronwich, England
    Death Date: 5 Nov 1920
    Death Place: York, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-06-16, 12:10.

Leave a comment:

• Vacumatic
    replied
    Thats remarkable, thank you so much Julie.

It must have taken some courage for Sarah, my great grandmother, at this time a widow, to have left England with a young son for a life in Canada. On the embarkation list Harold Ernest Lunn has described himself as a farmworker, which wasnt the case, perhaps he thought it was more appealing to the Canadian authorities in starting a new life.

Harold and his mother returned to England at some point, Harold married a Mary Cliff and had two children in 1914 and 1922. Sarah died in 1917, in England.

Thank you again Julie, I have found this journey to be fascinating. My starting point was not even knowing the names of my grandparents, having an understanding as to how and why we are what we are.

I have just watched Nigel Havers on Who do you think you are, he also had a journey of discovery, father and grandfather were well to do but further generations less so, a humbling experience. One of the discoveries that rocked me was to find that Thomas Lunn who was born in 1847 and a direct ancestor, was unable to sign his own name and had an 8 year old son who was a labourer at the glassworks.
    Last edited by Vacumatic; 13-06-16, 11:45.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    it looks like Eliza died in 1925.

Name: Eliza Field
    Birth Date: abt 1871
    Birth Place: w Brunswick, England [it does state W. bromwich but the writing isn't very clear]
    Death Date: 11 Aug 1925
    Death Place: York, Ontario, Canada

she died of stomach cancer. I have saved the image if you would like it, then PM me with your email addy and I'll send it on.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Passenger list for Eliza & Frank & daughter Florrie: destination Toronto, Ont, Canada.

Birth Year: abt 1872
    Date of Arrival: 27 May 1910
    Vessel: Corsican
    Port of Arrival: Quebec, Canada
    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England

Franks intended occupation was Carpenter and it looks like his occupation in UK was an Agent, though it doesn't specify what kind of agent it was!

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    right, I went back to square one. I am pretty certain now that Elizabeth married Frank Sheldon Field in 1897 W/Brom dist.

Marriage:
    Name: Eliza Lunn
    Registration Year: 1897
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Registration district: West Bromwich
    Inferred County: Staffordshire
    Volume: 6b
    Page: 1008

spouse Frank Sheldon Field.

she is on the 1901 cens with Frank and daughter Florence.

1901:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7572
    Source Citation
    Class: RG13; Piece: 2720; Folio: 15; Page: 22

she emigrated in 1910 and for 1911 census she appears in Ontario, [Toronto west] with husband Frank daughter Florence, mother and brother, Sarah & Harold.

1911:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7814
    Source Citation
    Year: 1911; Census Place: 97 - Ward 6, Toronto West, Ontario; Page: 14; Family No: 146

Ancestry have Sarah mistranscribed as Sarah BROWN but the image clearly states LUNN and she is a widow by this time too.

Marital Status: Married
    Birth Date: Dec 1870
    Relation to Head of House: Wife
    Immigration Year: 1910
    Race or Tribe: English
    Province: Ontario
    District: Toronto West
    District Number: 128
    Sub-district: 97 - Ward 6
    Sub-District Number: 97
    Place of Habitation: 10 Armstrong

Household Members:
    Name/Age

Frank Sheldon Field 39
    Eliza Field 40
    Florence Gertrude Field 14
    Sarah Brown 60
    Harold Brown 16

will have a look to see if I can spot them in later ones..
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-06-16, 11:09.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    hmm I can't see Elizabeth at all Vacumatic, I can see and Elizabeth Munro with husband Donald but she comes from Scotland :( will keep looking

Leave a comment:

• Vacumatic
    replied
    Thanks Julie

I was pleased with what has been uncovered so far, I expected to find sheep stealers, vagabonds and miscreants so almost any family would have been a success but I understand completely what you are saying.

Victorian research I found fairly easy due to census and marriage records in agreement and also a family that seemed to stay put in one house, older records were of a family that stayed in one village, in Worcestershire. One was a church warden and had his name inscribed on the church bell, still there today.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
    Amy Lunn 1901 census
    she is a servant - cook domestic with a family called Latham in West Bromwich

there is a marriage in 1904 West Bromwich of
    Amy Lunn to either Thomas Richard Perks or Joseph Edward Aspley
    Originally posted by Vacumatic View Post
    Thats excellent Janet, thank you, I will add this to the tree.
    to be 100% sure that you are tracking the 'right' family you will either need to get the marriage cert OR a copy of the parish record [if they married ina church that is]
    many people have come unstuck cos they thought they had the right people only to find out they were following the wrong family [which a cert would have sorted out from the get go]

am about to do school run/s etc but I will have another look when I get back.

Leave a comment:

• Vacumatic
    replied
    Thanks Sylvia.

Yes I think Eliza and Elizabeth are the same person.

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia C
    replied
    Did you know that there was an Eliza, b.ca 1871?

1881 Census

Tom Lunn 34 Glass Maker
    Sarah Lunn 29
    Eliza Lunn 10
    Comfort Lunn 9
    Amy Lunn 5

Was this Elizabeth ??????????? Sorry, I got confused when I saw the Eliza on the 1881 Census.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 13-06-16, 03:18.

Leave a comment:

• Vacumatic
    replied
    I think that the last name was Hough, Chrissie and they married either 1910 or 1911

Leave a comment:

• Chrissie Smiff
    replied
    What was your grandmothers name please i.e. who did Arthur marry?

Leave a comment:

• Vacumatic
    replied
    Thats excellent Janet, thank you, I will add this to the tree.

Leave a comment:

• Janet H.
    replied
    Amy Lunn 1901 census
    she is a servant - cook domestic with a family called Latham in West Bromwich

there is a marriage in 1904 West Bromwich of
    Amy Lunn to either Thomas Richard Perks or Joseph Edward Aspley
    Last edited by Janet H.; 12-06-16, 13:38.

Leave a comment:

• Vacumatic
    replied
    Thanks for coming back Julie.

Elizabeth

I found that she married Donald Monro and also on a passenger list for New York, I would love to know what became of them because their life in England was pretty grim

Arthur

He was my grandfather, I havent been able to find out much about him, not on the 1911 census and I cannot find a reliable death record

Amy

Cannot find a record of her marrying or death record, nor on the 1911 census. I suspect that she may have died before her time

Harold

Just yesterday I found that he died in 1979. I need to do some more searching in terms of other records. It was a shock to see on his birth certificate that his father signed his name with X.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Hello,

do you have any idea what happened to the other children Arthur, Amy and Harold? [as you don't add years of death for them] have you tracked Elizabeth?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X