Headstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstone

I have a Headstone in Canada which I best not put on here as I'm not sure if three of the people mentioned are dead.
    Is anybody willing to look at it for me and tell me something I need to know thanks

Ummmmmm.....it's usually only dead people who have a headstone Val!

OC

Comment

OC its complicated this man married bigamously and went to Canada , I have now found his death and Headstone which names his second wife as the Late ??? but also his third Wife and two Children are mentioned but it does not say The Late ?? by their names so assuming they were still alive , I was hoping somebody could tell me is it common practise in Canada to put the Wifes maiden name on the Headstone? as I am trying to trace the third one and the two children

Comment

Within reason, you can have whatever details you like put on a headstone. However there is usually a set charge for each character inscribed, so it is certainly a case of less is cheaper. Also, like death certs, the accuracy of the details of an inscription is dependent on the knowledge of the person placing the order and is also sometimes at the mercy of the spelling and numeracy skills of the monumental mason!
        Do you want to tell us the inscription but with fictitious names, so that we can try to work out the relationships?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Janet hope you dont mind sent you a pm thanks

Comment

The order of names on the headstone strikes me as a bit unusual - full name of the deceased, then the forenames only of two children, followed by the full name of J whom we assume to be the current third "wife," in turn followed by "late" G, the second "wife," married bigamously, although as he wasn't found out to have committed bigamy, I doubt if anyone in Canada ever knew, except possibly Gladys, and she may not have known. She wouldn't have been the first woman to have been duped.
            That makes it difficult to work out who was the mother of the two children. Are you sure they didn't belong to G rather than J?
            Did your man and G move to Canada immediately after marrying in 1946? If so, I don't think Canadian birth registrations post 1946 are readily accessible on line - I haven't been able to find anything to help me check the birth years of my Canadian cousins born around that time.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks for looking Janet.
              I do have the marriage certs of the first two wives, both spinsters when married and no children, in fact one of the reasons he left his first wife was because she had evacuee children in their home and he hated children , they did go to Canada the same year they married.
              I suppose the children could be Gwens and his ? but why would he not be buried with her ? as it looks like she died around 1970.
              Last edited by Guest; 23-05-16, 14:50.

Comment

Maybe the third wife intended to join him when her time came????
                It's not an uncommon scenario. When I was little, my elderly neighbour used to talk about "father and his three wives - he buried them all in the churchyard you know, and I had to give up my job and come home to look after him." "Father's" three wives are all buried separately in the village churchyard, each in her own plot in different parts of the graveyard and none have a headstone. "Father" is buried there too, on his own, with a headstone recording his name and dates and the forenames of his three daughters. No mention of any of his wives, but as two daughters belonged to the first wife, one to the second and the third wife had none, I suppose just putting the names of the three daughters kept it uncomplicated.
                In your case, as the children are named before wife three, I think they are the children of wife two; other wise it would have been more likely to say "beloved husband of J, father of A and K and former husband of the late Gwen."
                A newspaper obituary or funeral report would be useful.

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 23-05-16, 18:26.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I was hoping somebody could tell me is it common practise in Canada to put the Wifes maiden name on the Headstone?
                  It's a big country & practices vary all over the map as far as I've experienced. I have seen quite a few maiden names inscribed in Ontario though.

Comment

I have a chap born in 1730, who married 3 times and had umpteen children. The wives and children are buried in chronological order, lol, six to a grave. This led to a few of the children of the first wife being buried with the second wife and so on. Very confusingly, wife one and wife three had identical names (they were related) but as he married them 39 years apart, once I realised what had happened, it was all easy to work out.

OC

Comment

thanks Janet am coming round to that idea too, thanks Prairie, and OC what a puzzle that must have been.

Comment

Working...
                      X