• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Does that mean to go Library or online?

Vera
    go online via the library [ie access it from home but via the library]
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I was looking at a family Cook in Long Clawson with a John, son daughter Mary and mother Lucy. Father is Joseph. Wonder if there is a connection to your Mary Ann (John) and a Lucy Ann (Mary).

Unfortunately another John Cook in same area. Both remained single for a while

Vera
      I think I have found John Cooke before he married Mary.. he is in somerby an ag lab on 1841 but 1851 he is a Tailor.. his wife Sarah is on the 1861 census too as a widow.. I'm wondering if he left her and married Mary instead. I have matched up John-Sarah on 1841-1851 and Sarah is living with children in 1861.

1841: not sure if you can see this?

anyway Sarah Cooke was Sarah Barker, she married William Matthews and had children then married John Cooke.
      she was b. 1791 Barsby, Leicestershire. dies I think in 1870.
      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I was just going to suggest. Ours has FMP too so I never renewed my sub this time, and will keep going until they stop and then review
        I can't see FMP on ours just Ancestry but at least it is helping me whilst I'm between subs.
        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

I think I have found John Cooke before he married Mary.. he is in somerby an ag lab on 1841 but 1851 he is a Tailor.. his wife Sarah is on the 1861 census too as a widow.. I'm wondering if he left her and married Mary instead. I have matched up John-Sarah on 1841-1851 and Sarah is living with children in 1861.

1841: not sure if you can see this?

https://search.ancestrylibraryeditio...=successSource

anyway Sarah Cooke was Sarah Barker, she married William Matthews and had children then married John Cooke.
          she was b. 1791 Barsby, Leicestershire. dies I think in 1870.
          This could be John Cook married to Sarah.
          FMP
          John Cook buried 12 April 1854 aged 78 Somerby

I was looking at a John Cook/e b 1812 Thurlby.

​​​​​​1851 Ag Lab in Somerby with Martha who dies 1851 June Q.
          1855 A Mary Ann Cook dies buried Somerby
          1861 he is lodging in Somerby with son John Rbt, Ag Lab aged 49 b Thurlby unmarried.
          1867 marries Eliza Howe (no PR)
          1871 with Eliza + children Barrow on Soar

A Harriet Ann Cook ? d of Mary Ann Cook (Robinson) was a Servant in Barrow on Soar. Dies there in 1876.

Vera

Comment

...I am lost folks, is Mary Ann Robinson sister of Sarah Robinson?

Not sure how far you have got now.

Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

This could be John Cook married to Sarah.
              FMP
              John Cook buried 12 April 1854 aged 78 Somerby

I was looking at a John Cook/e b 1812 Thurlby.

​​​​​​1851 Ag Lab in Somerby with Martha who dies 1851 June Q.
              1855 A Mary Ann Cook dies buried Somerby
              1861 he is lodging in Somerby with son John Rbt, Ag Lab aged 49 b Thurlby unmarried.
              1867 marries Eliza Howe (no PR)
              1871 with Eliza + children Barrow on Soar

A Harriet Ann Cook ? d of Mary Ann Cook (Robinson) was a Servant in Barrow on Soar. Dies there in 1876.

Vera
              I was getting ahead of myself but your findings make more sense!.. just got back in been shopping and doing my blood pressure...

...I am lost folks, is Mary Ann Robinson sister of Sarah Robinson?

Not sure how far you have got now.
              Yes, she is Carolyn, this family are a mare to pin down.. her dad is just as bad! [at least I know when and where he died, just don't know anything else about his life/marriage before he married Sarah Watchorn. [Mother of Mary Ann-Sarah- Eliza & Harriet]

Julie

Comment

I have ordered the m/cert Mary Ann Robinson-John Cooke. Though I suspect this will take 4-6 weeks to get to me.
                well this has been an adventure, had a cert come last week that the only thing matched was 'Mary' the rest of it was so wrong it was unreal! got refunded as they should have contacted me but didn't. So we are now in possession of the cert which is right and confirms our findings. John was a tailor and a widower.
                I have now ordered the death cert for Mary.

Julie

Comment

well this has been an adventure, had a cert come last week that the only thing matched was 'Mary' the rest of it was so wrong it was unreal! got refunded as they should have contacted me but didn't. So we are now in possession of the cert which is right and confirms our findings. John was a tailor and a widower.
                  I have now ordered the death cert for Mary.
                  I' m a bit confused. So in 1852 Mary Ann Robinson marries John Cook a Tailor aged 76 who was at the time married to a Sarah? John Cook dies 1854 with Mary Ann Cook dying in 1855 Somerby.

Vera

Comment

I' m a bit confused. So in 1852 Mary Ann Robinson marries John Cook a Tailor aged 76 who was at the time married to a Sarah? John Cook dies 1854 with Mary Ann Cook dying in 1855 Somerby.
                    Vera
                    opps, my bad we/you were right we have got the right one, it was his father that was a tailor!.. the groom was a labourer!
                    Julie

Comment

Okay dokey!.. Marys death came today, she died of the Flu! and Harrietts birth and death came too, she was indeed the d/o Mary Ann & John Cooke and she died on the anniversary of her mothers death of Scarlatina Anginosa, her father John registered her death, it must have been particularly hard on John too as he lost another daughter in the same quarter. Not tracked Johns death yet but it'll be after 1876.
                      Julie

Comment

getting boxes ticked then, sad when you see the 'reality' of it.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Can't say it's good to get a result in the circumstances although it keeps the record straight and they are not forgotten

Vera

Comment

getting boxes ticked then, sad when you see the 'reality' of it.
                            Can't say it's good to get a result in the circumstances although it keeps the record straight and they are not forgotten

Vera
                            I know, it's nice but not nice if that makes sense?

I still can't seem to find Johns Death though. There is a death that many have got which is in OND 1891 with the right birth yr of 1811, BUT I can't find him on 1881/1891 if it is the same John!

The other daughter he buried was only 5 yrs old as well, kind of makes me wonder if she got the fever before Harriet and then passed it to her.

I'm currently trying to make some sort of headway on another branch, but seem to hit a bit of a stalemate as I can't seem to shift one way or the other!
                            Julie

Comment

I did think the Dec q death 1891 was likely to be your John aged 80.

Did see an 1881 census for John an inmate in the workhouse. Not found him in 1891.

On Ancestry 1881

John Cooke
                              70 B 1811
                              Inmate
                              Male, Married
                              B Th.....
                              Parish Rothley
                              W/house 7 Lester Road
                              Farm Lab (no occ)
                              Reg Dis Barrow on Soar

Vera

Comment

I did think the Dec q death 1891 was likely to be your John aged 80.

Did see an 1881 census for John an inmate in the workhouse. Not found him in 1891.

On Ancestry 1881

John Cooke
                                70 B 1811
                                Inmate
                                Male, Married
                                B Th.....
                                Parish Rothley
                                W/house 7 Lester Road
                                Farm Lab (no occ)
                                Reg Dis Barrow on Soar

Vera
                                yea I saw that Vera thanks, though the image is dire to even try and read the blooming thing! I'll have another look on my burial disc to see if I can spot his burial. His wife would be Eliza yet I'm sure I have seen somewhere where she said she was a widow.

hope you are feeling ok after your injection too.
                                Julie

Comment

yea I saw that Vera thanks, though the image is dire to even try and read the blooming thing! I'll have another look on my burial disc to see if I can spot his burial. His wife would be Eliza yet I'm sure I have seen somewhere where she said she was a widow.

hope you are feeling ok after your injection too.
                                  Can't find John, Eliza or William in 1891

Son Wm b 1867 looks to be William Edward Cooke who was B 1867 married 1892. Said his father is John a Cattle Dealer ( dec). There is another William E but his father is William.

Fine thanks Julie. No reaction. Got Oxford/AZ one.

Vera

Comment

Can't find John, Eliza or William in 1891

Son Wm b 1867 looks to be William Edward Cooke who was B 1867 married 1892. Said his father is John a Cattle Dealer ( dec). There is another William E but his father is William.

Fine thanks Julie. No reaction. Got Oxford/AZ one.

Vera
                                    aha.. William Edward goes off to Canada in 1912 with wife Susannah & family, no sign/mention of his mum though except on his death cert and it gives mother as Mary! I just think however gave the info had a stab at the name and didn't know.

I can't see John Cook on my burial disc, but doesn't mean it isn't him.

will have a look to see if I can spot Eliza.

Glad jab went ok and no ill effects
                                    Julie

Comment

I have Eliza in 1891 living with William, but nothing after. am just having a look on my disc to see if she appears.
                                      Julie

Comment

I have Eliza in 1891 living with William, but nothing after. am just having a look on my disc to see if she appears.
                                        Can't spot anything likely after 1891 on my disc, so she'll have to stay hidden

1891: where Eliza was living.
                                        Civil parish St Margaret
                                        Ecclesiastical parish
                                        Christchurch
                                        Residence Place St Margaret, Leicestershire, England
                                        Registration district Leicester
                                        Sub registration district East Leicester

1901 for William and co:
                                        Civil parish Leicester formerly St Margaret
                                        Ecclesiastical parish St Matthew
                                        County/IslandLeicestershire
                                        Country England
                                        Registration district Leicester
                                        Sub-registration district North West Leicester

so I'd expect a death [if she did die and not remarry] in between.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X