Tobias & Mary Bowles and children, Gosport, Hampshire 1781-1788

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STG,

Will Suffolk Records Office take a credit card. I am out here in Marsh Harbour, Abaco in The Bahamas and most overseas purchases are done online.

Peter
    Peter

My Avatar is Thomas Theodore Bowles 1847-1901, great grand nephew of Tobias Bowles 1743-1798 Gentleman of Chelsea.

Comment

Hi Linda,

Thank you. Interesting that Charles was baptized twice. Very tragic it seems that all of Tobias & Mary's children born in Gosport died there.

It does look like a good possibility, do you think the actual death record might give more information?

Peter
      Peter

My Avatar is Thomas Theodore Bowles 1847-1901, great grand nephew of Tobias Bowles 1743-1798 Gentleman of Chelsea.

Comment

Hi Peter, the KnightsRoots page get their info from the Hampshire Gen.Soc discs. I have copies of these discs and have checked the Rowner burials between 1770 and 1800 and the burials of Tobias children are the only Bowles there. I checked for all burials starting with the letter B in case of mistranscriptions and again they were the only ones.

There is no Charles Bowles buried in Hampshire between 1770 and 1800
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Margaret,

He was listed as a assistant clerk and clerk from 1782 to 1796 the First Clerk in 1797. I do believe that from 1781 he did live off his wealth and did not have to work. I think something had to motivate him originally to take on the job as a clerk for the Hurt and Sick Office. Why this Office, why move to Gosport? From 1783 to 1785 he was listed as a clerk in Haslar Hospital. His wife and kids were there in Gosport from late 1780 to 1787. He didn't have a the job until 1782, so it appears he moved there first then got the job. This could all be tied to his brother Leonard Bowles Esq., Mariner who moved to the Bahamas <1768 and was captured in 1779 by the Americans and changed sides and he got permission to reside and move his family to Philadelphia. He would have been very valuable to the patriots. There is no record of him after this only to state the late Leonard Bowles Esq. I believe he was captured by the British in 1780 and found with the passport and taken to Forten, I believe he died in Gosport. I know I'm speculating but my gut, which usually 9 out of 10 times is correct, tells me this is basically what happened.

Peter
          Peter

Comment

Linda, Charles maybe died in London.

BTW, my avatar is my wife's great grandfather, Thomas Theodore Bowles 1847-1901. I trace my line only as far as 1783 Thomas Carroll, a loyalist, granted 40 acres of land in Abaco. When he arrived here he was single, owned no slaves and most likely was a loyalist soldier.

Peter
            Peter

Comment

Originally posted by carlp105 View Post
              STG,

Will Suffolk Records Office take a credit card. I am out here in Marsh Harbour, Abaco in The Bahamas and most overseas purchases are done online.

Peter
              Most likely. Here's a link for you ....

STG
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

This is really interesting

there's a forum on the site too
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

In the book "Yankee Sailors in British Gaols Prisoners of War at Forton and Mill 1777-1783" there are many references to correspondence from the Sick and Hurt Office for better treatment and exchanges for the Americans. I would love to go to the Archives in the UK and search all the records from the Sick and Hurt Board.

Peter
                  Peter

Comment

I contacted them and hoping for additional information.

Thanks
                    Peter

Comment

I tried.

Dear Mr Carroll,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately the original parish register covering the period 1754 – 1812 marriages has not been deposited in the Suffolk Record Office, being noted as “missing” in our catalogue, so we are unable to provide a copy.

Entries for this marriage appear to be included on the Suffolk Marriage Index Transcription, and Boyd’s Marriage Index, and you may find the best (and cheapest) way to view the summary details they include via one of the online family history websites such as www.findmypast.co.uk, or www.ancestry.com

Kind regards

Yvonne Massingham
                      Searchroom and Research Assistant
                      Peter

Comment

Originally posted by carlp105 View Post
                        I tried.

Dear Mr Carroll,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately the original parish register covering the period 1754 – 1812 marriages has not been deposited in the Suffolk Record Office, being noted as “missing” in our catalogue, so we are unable to provide a copy.

Entries for this marriage appear to be included on the Suffolk Marriage Index Transcription, and Boyd’s Marriage Index, and you may find the best (and cheapest) way to view the summary details they include via one of the online family history websites such as www.findmypast.co.uk, or www.ancestry.com

Kind regards

Yvonne Massingham
                        Searchroom and Research Assistant
                        Great news!

I got a follow up email from Sally Whiffling that the Bishops Transcripts might have the marriage records. I just got a digital copy of the record which had the witnesses, John Thomlinson and William Clubbe Vicar, both guardians of Mary & Martha Bowles and Executors of Tobias Bowles Will. William Henchman was also a witness.

I also obtained the Will of Catherine Clubbe nee Bowles sister of Tobias Bowles, Gentleman of Chelsea. In it she wills 400 pounds to her grand niece Martha Denisson daughter of her niece Martha Denisson. Her niece Martha Denisson was married to Edward Stephenson Denisson.

Bit by Bit
                        Peter

Comment

Working...
                        X