Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register

Hi

I have downloaded the 1939 register for a family I am researching and for the daughter she has written above her name the surname O'dwyer and a date 12.9.61. Do you think this date is the date of marriage or just the date that they changed the name. This is the first 1939 record I have looked at So nothing to compare against

Thank you

I would guess at it being a marriage date. Can you check it against the BMD index?
    Elaine

Comment

My sister married twice, once registered in Q2 1956 and secondly in Q2 1973. On the 1939 register the dates added are 11.1.61 and 19.11.73. So maybe it is the date when the change was made?
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

When I looked at one for my grandparents, it had a surname change and date (12 Nov 1941) next to one of my aunts. I asked her son if the date written was her marriage date, but he said it wasn't because their wedding was 4 Nov.

So maybe the 12 Nov was the date that the authorities noted her change of name? Just a guess.

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

It's the date that the NI department (or other bureau) received notification of a name change, which wasn't always by marriage.

OC

Comment

Thank you for all of your help

Comment

Working...
            X