Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to her?

I have been looking into my grandmothers mysterious aunt Minnie:

Mary A O'Hanlon born 2 September 1881 at 49 Branch Street, South Bank to Daniel O'Hanlon and Ellen Daly, he was a foreman at the Steelworks.

She was baptised on 4 September 1881 at St Peters, S Bank,

In 1891 and 1901 she is not at the family home.

At first I thought that my grandmas aunt Elsie baptised as Ellen was actually Minnie as their mother was Ellen so I thought it was another nickname for Elsie but my grandma swore blind they were seperate people then I found the above baptism.

I have now found a Minnie O'Hanlon (transcribed as O Haslop) of the right age in service at the Kings Head Hotel in Middlesbrough which is where my grandma told me she worked.

She apparently never married and moved to London where she managed a hotel. She is missing in 1891 and I have no idea when she died or where.

I would love to solve this one and discover what became of Minnie.

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Have you looked under Whilemina? (sp) Minnie could be a diminutive(sp) of that name
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If she was baptised as Mary and known as Minnie, I would just try those names to start with.

If she managed a hotel she might be recorded in hotel records - if you knew which hotel!
      Unless you know when/where she died, it will be a slog through the death registers each quarter till you find her. Are there any family members who could help by saying when they last saw her to narrow down your search?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There is no-one, all my grandma remembers is that her mother and Minnie used to correspond but she does not remember being told of Minnies death or when the letters ceased.

I have not yet traced the descendants of my grandmas other aunts and uncle.
        Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Search on 1891 for all females born South Bank 1881 +/- a year produced nothing likely.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have you tried looking to see if her father (or mother) left a will which might mention Minnie in it?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

HI

Is this the right reference for the 1881 census showing Daniel and Ellen

RG11; Piece: 4860; Folio: 7; Page: 7

Living at 49 Branch Street in the Civil Parish of Normanby in Middlesbrough
              WendyP

Comment

Yes, thats them in 1881 with their first born Michael.

Comment

might have just struck lucky and found a grandson of their sister Margaret. Just waiting for him to answer the message I have sent him.

Comment

Hi

Where were the family then in the 1891 and 1901 census? I have looked and can't see them for the dust.
                    WendyP

Comment

Working...
                    X