Richards of Wexford help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richards of Wexford help please

Hi, my extended family are having a family get together next month, we have collectivly been collaborating on researching our grandfather's line. So far we have our g g grandfather Thomas Richards born Wexford about 1832 and arriving in Australia in 1853 age 21and married Mary Anne Walsh, his father is where we are stuck, we know his father is John Richards who married Eliza Rossiter. We can't get any further. We know that there are 3 independent lines of Richards in Wexford, it would be ideal to know which line we are descended from. Any information would be helpful.:o

Originally posted by Oldman_emu View Post
    Hi, my extended family are having a family get together next month, we have collectivly been collaborating on researching our grandfather's line. So far we have our g g grandfather Thomas Richards born Wexford about 1832 and arriving in Australia in 1853 age 21and married Mary Anne Walsh, his father is where we are stuck, we know his father is John Richards who married Eliza Rossiter. We can't get any further. We know that there are 3 independent lines of Richards in Wexford, it would be ideal to know which line we are descended from. Any information would be helpful.:o
    Researching in Ireland for such early dates is very difficult and you best hope is someone with a tree already done with information that can help. Have you checked ancestry.co.uk for a tree? also Genes Reunited. co.uk, I would also google the names you have to see if anything comes up.
    Margaret

Comment

I have checked out the trees on Genes Reunited for all the details of Thomas Richards born 1832 + or _ 5 years nothing coming up for Wexford or that year though there are lots of Thomas Richards or Richardson born Ireland with no County so not worth you taking out a GR sub.
      Online Irish ancestral Birth, Death and Marriage records for Co. Wexford. Genealogy research center - Co. Wexford Heritage and Genealogy Society

http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/336-Ireland you may find the link useful in your research it has been compiled by Family Tree Forum Members

Edna

Comment

convict or free settler? that can make a massive difference in the material you can locate. you havn't stated which state he settled in, births, deaths and marriages can be quite informative depending on the time and the place he married, died or had children in. was he from the town of wexford, or the county wexford (like saying from 'cork' a city and county)? was he catholic or protestant? is his birthplace recorded on his children's birth certificates, and do you have all of them to see if one is more detailed than the other? have you found him on a passenger list?

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advise and links. Our research in Australia is fairly complete it's the irish component that is providing difficult, I was hoping that someone with personal knowledge of the tree would read this post. One of the links gave me over 3000 newspaper articles on John Richards who was a very eminent man in Wexford and I would be proud to be his descendant, unfortunately I'm unable to show him as the John Richards that I am after and the articles are all 1845 to 1847 which is 40 years after the only possible wedding I can find which is between John Richards and Miss Rossiter in 1808

Comment

If you know the place he was born in, and he was catholic, you can to the national library of ireland website and locate the parish records. If your lucky they exist forthe time period you need, and you can go through them, maybe find some more information.

Comment

To be able to search through parish records from Dublin National Library now online,it is advisable to know more than Wexford, as just Wexford could be either town of Wexford and all surounding Townlands, or County of Wexford with its massive amount of Townlands, which you would have to search. Many parish records for County Wexford have been destroyed, so you may or may not be lucky. Yes, why did your ancestor go to Australia? Was it as a convict or free settler as KyleJustin has suggested? You could try Irish petty sessions, now onFMP, if there is any hint of a convict, as well as convict records.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 14-10-15, 14:43.

Comment

Thomas came to Australia as a free settler aged 21. His family here have all been Catholic so I would assume the family left behind were as well. If the wedding I have found is correct then he would have been born 22 years after the wedding and as such would have had little or no inheritance which along with the famine in Ireland would be incentive enough to migrate as did almost half of Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                X