Original Documents!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Documents!

Below is a classic example of why original documents are the ones to be viewed if at all possible:

> A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the
    > other monks in copying the old canons and laws of the church, by hand.
    >
    > He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not
    > from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the Old Abbot
    > to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error
    > in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error
    > would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.
    >
    >
    The head monk, says, "We have been copying from the copies for
    > centuries, but you make a good point, my son."
    >
    > He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the
    > original manuscripts are held as archives, in a locked vault that
    > hasn't been opened for hundreds of years.
    >
    > Hours go by and nobody sees the Old Abbot.
    >
    > So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees
    > him banging his head against the wall and wailing.
    >
    > "We missed the R! We missed the R! We missed the damned R!" His
    > forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.
    >
    > The young monk asks the old Abbot, "What's wrong, father?"
    >
    > With a choking voice, the old Abbot replies, "The word was .....
    > CELEBRATE!"--
    Last edited by Sue1; 14-09-15, 09:43.

HAAAAA, Sue!

OC

Comment

I like that - may have to use it in one of my talks ....
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

My first thought was 'This ought to be on the General board' but on reflection it makes a good point, especially for new researchers
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

This joke, hot off the E-mails this morning, could only have come from one place and it did, IRELAND!

Comment

It must have come by snail mail, though whilst a good one I saw it years ago.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

It may not be a new joke but it's still very funny and worth sharing.

The joke reminded of this old Christmas card which I have pinned on my notice board:

Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

No, Grumpy ...............it came by Leprechaun Mail this morning!

Comment

Good one, just sent it on to OH for his store of jokes!

Janet

Comment

Not quite the same thing, but an illustration for we researchers to always verify sources - I watched a programme tonight about The Amazing Randi, a magician who has spent his later years exposing fraudulent mediums, faith healers and so on - he exposed Uri Geller. Anyway, this Amazing Randi set up an elaborate hoax to expose the so-called "channellers" who pretend to be the spirits of people who lived 50,000 years ago - there's big money to be made, with public performances netting 200,000 dollars a night.

He made up false publicity for his "spirit persona" and backed it up with fictitious scientific bodies and people. He was accepted onto a TV show without any hesitation and fooled everyone. He later revealed that he was a hoaxer, with a view to making people aware of how easy it is to fool people AND how no one, not one single person had checked any of his supposed credentials or references to his past performances. I thought that was a very good illustration of what can often happen in our own research - people swallow any old tripe without hesitation and certainly don't check it.

(The curious thing about all this though, was that although he exposed all these things as trickery and fraud......people still go to them, still believe them and still pay loadamoney to be fooled. One particularly nasty one was a faith healer who supposedly "saw" what was wrong with people. In fact he had an earpiece and an assistant was transmitting info to him. He's still going, people still believe him even though he was exposed as a fraud.)

OC
                    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 20-09-15, 23:08.

Comment

Working...
                    X