No announcement yet.

Family Bible and Chair to be passed on to Family, Chapman/ Holt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just spoken to GT21 on the phone and she is not sure about this either but has given me more detail from another page
    I have made a few corrections from the first post.

Edna

From the Bible
    Neville Chapman son of George and Jane born Barton on Humber March 8th 1848
    Eliza Jane Chapman daughter of John and Elizabeth Thompson born Appleby November 30th 1847
    Neville and Eliza Jane married 12 November 1872 Appleby Church.

At Appleby Church daughter of Neville and Eliza Jane, Kate Thompson Chapman born 1st March 1874 Barton on Humber Lincolnshire
    Annie Eliza Chapman born 10th May 1875
    Eliza Jane died Appleby 1875 17 May 1875 after the birth of Annie Eliza
    Kate Thompson Chapman married Arthur Holt April 13th 1890
    John Holt son of Arthur and Kate born Scunthorp 18th June 1899
    Annie Eliza Chapman married William Dann 19 March 1901 at Appleby Church
    Charles Edwin Holt son of Arthur and Kate born Scunthorp October 3rd 1910
    Found out today that the Bible also says:
    “Presented to Eliza Jane Thompson on the occasion of her marriage by Mr & Mrs ? Clarke in remembrance of her faithful services to their Grandchildren Mary, Mark, and Jason? Dated October 1872”
    Then the Bible says:
    “This Book became the property of Mrs Crofs? Of Appleby Vicarage and was presented by her to Elizabeth Thompson- Appleby June 21st 1898”

The Chair
    It is an adult sized chair inscribed with the words "Elizabeth Thompson her chair 1889" She was the First daughter of Neville and Eliza Chapman (I had the date wrong)

That concludes the information given to me by GT21 and if I have any of these details wrong then I am sure they will be put right when she joins the Forum

Comment

Edna,

Seem to have come to a dead end. Can't find anything on Elizabeth Thompson Chapman, no baptism no marriage. "Mrs Crofts" (Cross) was the ministers wife in Appleby and was always giving out prizes but none is listed on the newspaper on 21st June 1898. I think it could be possible after Eliza died and Neville went to his parents and the children to their other grandparents, she might have kept it in safe keeping.

Tora

Comment

I'm in that neck of the woods, and so if I can help I will.
        Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
        Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
        Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Is it possible that there was another Elizabeth Thompson 1898? as the original Eliza Thompson had died in 1875, I can't think of anything else.

I wonder if any of the trees on Ancestry has a second one in their tree?

Thanks for the offer James but I am not sure how it is going for the moment or what you could help with.

Edna

Comment

Hi Edna
            Could the named Elizabeth Thompson be Eliza Jane Chapman's (nee Thompson) mother? It would make sense if Mrs Cross was looking after the bible & I believe Mrs Cross had moved to Grange-over-sands. Her husband died in 1897; home address from probate record was Grange-over sands. I think Elizabeth Thompson died in 1899 at Appleby.
            Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie,
              I have spoken to the current owner and will be arranging to go and see it for my self so perhaps I can then make more sense then and will take photographs of the pages and the chair.
              That does seem to make some sense if Elizabeth Thompson dies in 1899 in Appleby as her chair may have been inscribed before her death to ensure it was not lost to the Family.
              Thanks for this

Edna

Comment

Working...
              X