Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katarzyna
    replied
    I'm with the others regarding dates but I only use capital letters for persons who are my direct line descendants. That way I can easily pick out my direct descendant from a family of 10 children.

Leave a comment:

• AntonyM
    replied
    The convention when writing names in genealogy reports is to always put the surname in capitals - it makes it clear which name the surname actually is, which may not always be obvious with multiple names.

For dates I always put the month in words (usually abbreviated) - and the full year ...e.g. 9 Sep 2015. It avoids confusion, especially with contacts from the USA.

Leave a comment:

• Darksecretz
    replied
    Originally posted by Kiltpin View Post

My first question is this - Is there a preferred way of spelling a surname (or family name)? That is to say "John Smith", or "John SMITH"? Now I know that some will do it one way and some will do it the other and there are those like me who have both mixed. It is not a question of how many do it one way or the other, it is a question of WHY is the one way preferable over the other way. Are there advantages?

Kiltpin
    Hi Kiltpin,

with regard to this question, do you mean when adding it into a tree program or do you mean when you are asking for a lookup request?

if asking about a request, then some people do capitalise the surname as it makes it easier to pick it out in the request. If you mean when adding it to a tree either on line or private then it is entirely up to you [whatever floats your boat! :smilee:]

re the dates, I always add it: 12 Nov 1846 [as I wouldn't want someone else to misunderstand] if I did it 12 Nov 46 then it could mean 1946 and if I do find a date that has been Americanised then I will add it to my tree in the UK format.

hopefully that helps and welcome to our forum :smilee:

Leave a comment:

• Olde Crone Holden
    replied
    Hello and welcome to the forum, kiltpin.

Like Kyle, I only put the surname in capitals if there is likely to be confusion otherwise.

I also do the dates the same way, as I would speak them - 12 Jan 1841.

OC

Leave a comment:

• kylejustin
    replied
    i only use capitals for the surname if it's french. makes it easier to tell.....ie jean jacques piriou de lezongard vs jean jacques PIRIOU DE LEZONGARD.
    i do the date: 12 jan 1841. easiest way i remember a date while typing it from seeing it.

Leave a comment:

• Kiltpin
    started a topic Hello and Two Questions

Hello and Two Questions

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, but not new to family research. I started over 20 years ago with notes and notepads and boxes full of random information. My tree has grown and evolved in that time and I now have it on-line with Ancestry.

My first question is this - Is there a preferred way of spelling a surname (or family name)? That is to say "John Smith", or "John SMITH"? Now I know that some will do it one way and some will do it the other and there are those like me who have both mixed. It is not a question of how many do it one way or the other, it is a question of WHY is the one way preferable over the other way. Are there advantages?

My next question is about dates. I don't use all number dates as it leads to the black hole of US confusion - is 1/12/1940 the 1st of December or is it the 12th of January? So I gave up numerals almost at the start. The question is this - which is preferable Nov or November? Does it make a difference to any programmes? If members have a preference, what is it and why?

Note to Mods and Admins - If this is in the wrong place, please move it to where it should be.

Regards

Kiltpin
Working...
X