Help reading census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reading census

If using Ancestry search the 1851 census for Samuel French b1824 and Thomas Heretage (at same address). If using FMP they are transcribed as Samuel Franch and Thomas Heritage.

I would be grateful for your opinions on the two occupations and the address.
    Last edited by webwiz; 04-09-15, 18:44.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

If this is the one, the occupation looks like "Boots" can't read the address yet, but it's a hotel.

Comment

It's Digbeth, every address for pages is Digbeth! Although this is the last Digbeth before it changes to Park Street.
      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 04-09-15, 19:13. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
        If this is the one, the occupation looks like "Boots" can't read the address yet, but it's a hotel.
        That's what I thought, but I can't imagine why they would need 3 men doing "boots". There seem to be only 3 guests at the hotel. I thought the other occupation might be cutler, but I am not sure what a cutler would do in a hotel.
        Last edited by webwiz; 04-09-15, 19:19.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

"boots" ............ hotel servants who cleaned shoes for guests, and did other odd jobs around the place.

I don't think it still happens, but guests used to put their shoes outside their bedroom door when they went to bed. "Boots" then collected the shoes, cleaned and polished them, and returned them back to the correct doors in the early hours of the morning.

I can remember seeing shoes outside bedroom doors in some large hotels in the 1950s,

In the summer of 1959, I worked in a private hotel in Frinton-on-Sea where people stayed for 1 or 2 weeks, and the guests could put their shoes outside the bedroom door. Either the gardener (!) or the mentally handicapped young man employed to do "dirty" jobs would arrive at work at about 5 am, collect the shoes, clean them and return them.

That hotel was almost on a par with Fawlty Towers ......

........ 2 days before I arrived for my summer job, the "chef" walked out. Her summer help, a girl who had just finished 1 st year at domestic science college, was asked if she could take over "until I (manager) can find someone else?". She said yes ............... but the "chef" was never replaced.

D had to have her 1 day off .......... the gardener was the replacement on that day. His qualifications?? His mother had been in domestic service, and he could do a very good roast beef, with bread pudding for dessert.

The manager (female) was drunk for 3 days a week, sobering up on Thursday before the owner (and her "friend") arrived for the weekend on Friday.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I think that hotel could have been larger than it seems .............. they might have had only 3 guests on census night.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

And those of a certain age may remember the early ITV sitcom "Bootsie and Snudge" with Alfie Bass and Bill Fraser, a spin-off from "The Army Game".
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It does look like Cutler ................. another option could be Ostler, variant of Hostler ......... someone to look after the horses

Comment

You're right Sylvia, it's with Ostler. Appalling handwriting!

Comment

Jill

I agree .............. appalling writing!!

Comment

Ah yes Uncle John! But Bootsie was so called because he was 'excused boots', not because he cleaned them for better off folk!

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Bentley View Post
                        Ah yes Uncle John! But Bootsie was so called because he was 'excused boots', not because he cleaned them for better off folk!
                        Our TV at the time was BBC only, so I only caught glimpses of ITV at friends' houses.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                        X