Newfound Grandfather, UPDATED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newfound Grandfather, UPDATED!

This is a new thread with updated information for people to help me find out more.

I recently discovered my mother`s father was not who she thought he was (she found out about around 2000) and I need help finding him. I have been searching for him for probably about 1 to two years and cannot find anything.

He is dead, because I cannot find a matching obituary and he is not in the SS index. Yup, I sorted through all 200 matches. His name was JJC. I know he was 23 on January 29, 1941, and was born in Philadelphia County.

He had a child, my mother, with my grandmother Leona Agnes Fennessy. Leona had two siblings, Mary Green (1920-1980) and Margaret Weldon (1924-2010). In 1930, Leona and her parents and siblings were living in Philadelphia. In 1933, her mother, Mary August, died. They were living on Dudley Street at this time. I cannot find any documentation on Leona or any of their siblings after this until they were all married, in the late 1940`s. Leona had my mother with James, she gave the info, and he was supposedly never seen or heard from again. Within about two weeks of my mothers birth, she was given to the Bloemker/Bloemaker family. I remember being around the Bloemakers. It was not adoption, but I think almost more like fostering. Leona could not support my mother, so she was raised by the Bloemakers, but Leona stopped by to see my mother.

I also believe between 1933-1940/1941 Leona and her siblings were fosters theirselves or like orphans....their only living parent, Thomas Fennessy, was an alcoholic who died in 1953....but I believe he was a very heavy drinker. He was found in an alleyway after drinking almost like poison alcohol. I cannot find Leona or her siblings in the 1940 census, but their father Thomas is in some sort of institute.

Any help on J is much appreciated and I hope this information helps.

Thank you!
    Last edited by JudithM; 19-08-15, 21:13. Reason: remove name of possibly living person

I think both Elaine and myself thought we had found sister Mary & husband Thomas Green in Philadelphia in 1940 (see your other thread)
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sorry! Did not see this. I always thought she was married when her other siblings got married...right after WWII! So we have found Mary in 1940. Thank you!

Comment

Is any occupation for JJC recorded on the birth registration?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

All I know is that his name was JJC, aged 23 on January 29, 1941, and was born in Philadelphia County. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Schube424 View Post
            This is a new thread with updated information for people to help me find out more.

I recently discovered my mother`s father was not who she thought he was (she found out about around 2000) and I need help finding him. I have been searching for him for probably about 1 to two years and cannot find anything.

He is dead, because I cannot find a matching obituary and he is not in the SS index.
            Thank you!
            You say he IS dead, but then say you can't find an obituary etc - do you have proof he is dead, as if not we have to remove his name again, as happened with your previous thread?
            Last edited by JudithM; 19-08-15, 21:14.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Mary T married in 1939 in Pennsylvania to Thomas F

Thanks Jay. Have been searching for that one. Must be mistranscribed elsewhere.

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 19-08-15, 22:25.

Comment

There are possibilities for JJC pre 1941 amongst various record sets on familysearch.org. However, you would need to make a note of each of these and then try to follow them forwards in time in the hope of eliminating some of them.

Have you checked military/naval records for JJC for possible WW2 service?
                If you can't find a SS number, perhaps he emigrated from USA and died elsewhere?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Possibly the Bloemkr family Charles W and Mary T both now deceased. 2005 and 1997. They were living in Ward 39 at the time. Newly married. Mary T was a Cigar Maker. If I remember rightly Leona was involved in tobacco on the 1930 census. Maybe find Leona or even JJC close by.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 19-08-15, 23:14.

Comment

Can't open the census link, but wasn't Leona only 7 yrs old in 1930?

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

She was indeed Jay. So who did what with tobacco then. I'm thinking of someone who was 18 years of age linked to the tobacco trade. I will have to check my jottings. Time for a cuppa methinks

Vera

Comment

Yes, she would have been about 7. I know the Bloemker/Bloemaker family. It was Anna Schrandt and Henry Bloemaker. They had a TON of kids, living in the 39th ward.

Comment

Oh I saw that one. I thought as they had such a lot, they wouldn't have wanted any more but that is not always the case I know.

Leona and or JJC may have been in the vicinity of them in 1940 then. Census was 3rd April

I'm not sure what record you have of Leona's birth but maybe there is one with a bit more information available to you. The info seems very sparse for a 1941 birth.

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 20-08-15, 00:27.

Comment

Vera, do you have any experience with DNA testing? I think I am going to go that route and hope for a NAME REMOVED relative.......

A virtually identical post was similarly edited on the other thread. In case you have not found it again, and also to save duplicate efforts from the helpers and repeated moderation, this is it:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/112321-Missing-grandfather-from-Pennsylvania

Comment

Working...
                            X