Packham family tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packham family tree

I have traced my Packham family back to Walter Peckham born c1810 who married Sophia Ellis born c1815 at Wateringbury, Kent on 09-11-1833. How can I go back further. Both Packham and Peckham are used in the tree.

Welcome to FTF.
    Ancestry has a Baptism for a Walter Peckham in Hadlow, Kent on 9/9/1810. Parents were John & Susanna. Source is from; England, Select births & Christenings 1538-1975.
    Last edited by AlanC; 17-08-15, 16:54.

Comment

I see Walter, Sophia and family were in Hadlow in 1841; Sophia was still there in 1851 but was widowed.
      FamilySearch has a burial at Hadlow on 21/11/1841 for Walter Peckham, born 1810.

In 1841 Walter and Sophia are living with what are probably his parents, listed as Jno Peckham and Susanna Peckham, both aged 60, and born in Kent. This fits nicely with the baptism that Alan found.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-08-15, 17:32.

Comment

You'll find 5 siblings for Walter on FamilySearch, baptised in Hadlow to John and Susannah between 1804 and 1813.

Comment

My 6g-grandmother was Anne Peckham b1690 in Ashurst, Kent. She married Mathias Woodhams b15.2.1691 on 20.1.1715 in Cowden, Kent.
          My 4g-grandmother was Ann Packham b1754, daughter of Sam Packham b1706. She married William Woodhams (grandson of Mathias) 11.9.1773 in Chiddingstone, Kent. I do not know if these two ladies were related, but if you manage to connect to either of them then we are distant cousins so let me know.
          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

The Packham family tree

The Peckhams came from Kent. Yaldam House Wrotham was occupied by the Peckhams 1347-1713 and Ightham Moat, this Manor House was occupied by the Peckhams from the 14th to the 18th century.
            It seems the Peckham family went 3 ways, Those that stayed in Kent were called the Yaldham Peckhams, those that moved to the Chichester,West Sussex, the Sussex Peckhams, and the Denham Peckhams after Peter Peckham who was living in London purchased an extensive estate in Denham, Bucks. c1496.
            The Yaldham Peckhams occupied the Manors of East and West Peckham Nr Hadlow Kent for centuries which ties in with Walter Peckham baptised in Hadlow 9-9-1810.
            I have obtained this information from a book called Peckham Geneology printed in America c1922 to find the family tree of the Peckhams that went to America.

Comment

Thank you AlanC

Comment

Thank you Mary from Italy

Comment

Be careful of genealogy books printed in the 1920s! (And at any other time too.) Unless it gives sources for everything, it may well be a work of fiction, as was the book my grandfather bought in the early 20th century about our family. As far as I can be bothered to check it, it is a cobbled together mishmash which bears no resemblance to the truth.

The best way to find out if it is accurate is to do your own research using primary records where possible.

OC

Comment

Thanks Olde Crone Holden
                    The Peckham Genealogy book I have gives all the sources including wills brasses and arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Newforestman View Post
                      Thanks Olde Crone Holden
                      The Peckham Genealogy book I have gives all the sources including wills brasses and arms.
                      You're fortunate! As OC says, there is an awful lot of wishful thinking doing the rounds, and it's pretty heartbreaking to find some records, later on, that show you've just invested hours and hours on a plausible work of fiction!

I was fortunate with my CHRISTMAS family tree. Someone had done a lot of work the hard way - long before there was the mass of stuff online that there is now. It was very impressive and I think it's probably pretty close to reality... but I have found some things in the more modern part of my section of the tree, where the researcher had relied on very reasonable records but I have found subsequent information which shows that there are inaccuracies... my Gx2-grandmother was conflated with a later wife with a similar name, for example, and some twin great uncles weren't recognised as such because the censuses (and RN service records, which I found later on) show them as having quite different ages - but I've seen their birth records.

I'd recommend that you try to replicate the research from the book, if only for the part that relates to your direct line of ancestors. Apart from anything else, it's actually quite good fun to hunt out your own records†... unless you mean that you can see images of the actual records in the book, rather than just their source references.

Christine

† There's little to beat seeing the images of the real thing... even more so if you have the privilege of handling the actual documents.
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-08-15, 22:27.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Newforestman View Post
                        Thanks Olde Crone Holden

As OCH says, please be careful. Do not accept everything as gospel, especially produced in the US in the 1920s, or any time if I am to be brutally frank.

The family history book that one of my friends has for her husband taking his family all the way back to the early 1600s in the US, and mention of families in the UK had much the same as yours.

"modern" parts of the family were accurate, ie those after about 1850. Older records much less so.

She set me to trying to check the English people mentioned.

I cannot prove what the book says :(
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

My great grandfather commissioned a family tree in the early 1900s and my family believe every single word of it. I first read it when I was about 14 and even then thought: "But how do they know that?" It was that which sparked off my interest in genealogy. I can tell you that report was a load of tosh - very impressive and convincing tosh. I have unpicked it to the point where I no longer even bother with it. It is a series of "facts" which have been connected to each other to make a wonderful story. Each fact is correct. The connecting links between each fact are not correct!

To be fair, any researcher can only work with the records they can find. The researcher who did my family tree had few resources and just used the ones he could find. He had little or no knowledge of heraldry as he produced our Coat of Arms which was wrong and belonged to a much earlier generation.

The other thing about printed genealogies of the Victorian and Edwardian era is that you rarely if ever get the scurrilous stuff like illegitimacy and bigamy!

Use the book as a cautious guide and check every single thing in it. I agree with Christine, there is absolutely nothing to beat seeing and touching the original records with your own hand. This sort of research is so satisfying and it is a world away from looking for bmds on your computer!

OC

Comment

On the other hand I had a 'family tree' for part of my lot and was very sceptical about it. For years I was inlined to think they had made some bits up and didn't enter them in my tree. How the heck did they know those things? THEN I found the will (proved 25 years after the death) which named those mystery people .... suddenly it all clicked into place and the original was correct.
                            Anne

Comment

Newforestman

We must all sound very cynical! It's not that, it is experience which has taught us that you simply cannot tell whether something is correct or complete rubbish until you have checked it out for yourself.

I have a copy of an unpublished manuscript - 168 pages - of research done in the 1980s concerning a branch of my family. It is absolutely one hundred percent accurate. I know because I have checked every single source and citation. Sadly, the man who did all the research is now dead. I would love to be able to tell him that I have since found more information which puts the lie to the official records and also that I have discovered what happened to someone who disappeared in the late 1700s.

Another much-used reference book which has not a single date in it, let alone any sources, was the recollections of an elderly man who dictated his memoirs of local genealogy to a local reporter. When I first heard of this book I was frankly scornful - how could an uneducated man born in 1803 hold accurate genealogical information in his head? Ready to throw it away, I checked a few events.....they were right. I checked a few more....right again. In total there are more than 5000 names in the book and I (and countless other researchers) have found only the most minor mistakes - Mary instead of Margaret, John instead of Jonathan.

So, some works can be completely accurate. Others can be complete rubbish.Some can be part right, part wrong. Some can be wrong because the researcher did not have access to all relevant documents at the time. From a research point of view, the only way to find out is to check everything yourself.

OC

Comment

Thank you all for your info, the book I have is Peckham Genealogy reprinted by Higginson Book Company
                                www.higginsonbooks.com the first 205 pages are the English section the remainig 323 pages are American.

Comment

Ah, the Higginson Book Company! They have also published a book about my family, the Holdens who went to the US on the Mayflower. Problem is - there were no Holdens aboard the Mayflower and Justinian Holden was in fact a female,(Justinia) according to the only baptism record I can find.

Doesn't mean yours is wrong of course, just means be careful.

OC

Comment

Are any of "my" Peckhams/Packhams (see 5th post) mentioned in your book?
                                    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                                    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                                      My 6g-grandmother was Anne Peckham b1690 in Ashurst, Kent. She married Mathias Woodhams b15.2.1691 on 20.1.1715 in Cowden, Kent.
                                      My 4g-grandmother was Ann Packham b1754, daughter of Sam Packham b1706. She married William Woodhams (grandson of Mathias) 11.9.1773 in Chiddingstone, Kent. I do not know if these two ladies were related, but if you manage to connect to either of them then we are distant cousins so let me know.
                                      Hi from New Zealand. I am descended from John Woodhams - Sarah Kember on my Mother's side. My husband's family is also descended from Mathias Woodhams. Francie Woodhams

Comment

Working...
                                      X