No announcement yet.

Kennedys of Tipperary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is absolutely fascinating re the naming, and hopefully will be enough to give me clues when I get to that stage. I have sent off for the marriage certificate and really we can't be sure of anything until I get that back, I'm guessing. I've only had time to skim through the replies but will have a proper look this evening.

Comment

Well, the marriage certificate has arrived and thrown up more questions than answers!! Edward Kennedy was a Dyer's Labourer, address Paley's Galleries, Marsh Lane, Leeds, father Brian Kennedy, Farmer's Labourer. Mary Parkinson was living in Catherine Street, Leeds, father William Parkinson, labourer. They were married in the Saint Patrick's Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Roman Catholic Church. The Priest was Michael O'Donnell. Neither the bride nor the groom, or either of their witnesses, were able to write. The witnesses were John Barry and Jane Lawler. Going back to Edward's father, the name Brian has never appeared in anything we have seen, however Edward was following a trade which comes down the generations, and must have been how my husband's mother and father met. She was from a family with a history of cloth dying, and he was a master cloth dyer (my husband remembers that he used to produce the green baize for snooker tables!). I will now start looking to see if the name Brian comes up anywhere else in the family!! Any help on the Irish side would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Ah, now that is interesting, colliemag and it means that the local Yorkshirebmds mean, when they say "Registered building", not the Register Office, but a place registered to perform marriage. Naughty because it is not shown as a RC chapel which is confusing.

No help to you of course, but useful to me!

OC

Comment

At the time of their marriage, Karamazov, Edward Kennedy was living at Paley's Galleries according to the Marriage Certificate, so presumably Edward was lodging there at that time!

Comment

Using some free searches on Roots Ireland it is showing one only

Baptism for Edward Kennedy bap Co Tipperary 1833 - using father Brian in the search

There is also a Marriage, one only showing for Brian Kennedy 1820 Co Tipperary and
            a

Death, one only for Brian Kennedy aged 65 Co Tipperary

This is a sub site for one month approx. £18

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 24-08-15, 04:17.

Comment

Deleted as not showing record

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 24-08-15, 04:26.

Comment

Thank you for the info, Vera. Don't quite understand the deletion. If this is the right Brian's marriage, then that can't be his Edward's baptism as Brian would only have been 13 by my reckoning. However, the ages shown might indicate that this was the correct Edward, going by his age at marriage. I'll go onto Irish Roots (didn't know about it) and have a look. Thanks again. Maggie

Comment

Maggie the deletion was me trying to link up with the actual search results but it was just showing the 'how to subscribe' page.

The result for a Brian marriage showed it to be 1820 - not his baptism so OK for an Edward baptism of 1833.
                  I suppose a 13 year span of having children is OK also

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 24-08-15, 12:52.

Comment

Working...
                  X